PDA

View Full Version : Please Help ASAP TDS is shooting sky high

JOSNNGUYEN
05-12-2013, 01:21 PM
Hi Guys. I'm having problem with my TDS level now. TDS level been stable around 90ppm but It's sky high right after WC this morning and I saw bubbles on my side of my fish tank walls.Discus is acting weird. They are almost flat on the bottom, look like they are about to die. Please help me.
ph: 7.2 and high ph:7.4
ammonia: 0
nitrite: 0
nitrate: 10-20
KH: 3
GH:4
TDS >300ppm but normally is below 100
I add some freshwater API salt to the tank but it does not seem to help. what should I do now?

Second Hand Pat
05-12-2013, 01:26 PM
Do you age your water with aeration? Sounds like part of the problem could be micro bubbles. Also salt will raise the TDS by quite a bit.

nc0gnet0
05-12-2013, 01:28 PM
If you added aquarium salt to your tank that will make your TDS elevate. Did you age your water prior to changing water or straight from the tap?

Rick

blueluv
05-12-2013, 01:33 PM
Hi Pat :)
I've read some other posts were you mention micro bubbles. Sometimes I get small bubbles that stick to the aquarium wall and on my heaters. How can these bubbles affect my discus.
Thank you

JOSNNGUYEN
05-12-2013, 01:35 PM
uh oh I did add salt to the tank. Should I do another water change? I never age my water. I been doing WC straight from my tap and never experiencing anything like this.
plus when I aged my water with aeration (before added the discus) my ph level is about the same. That is why I am using tap water without aging it.

Second Hand Pat
05-12-2013, 01:58 PM
uh oh I did add salt to the tank. Should I do another water change? I never age my water. I been doing WC straight from my tap and never experiencing anything like this.
plus when I aged my water with aeration (before added the discus) my ph level is about the same. That is why I am using tap water without aging it.

Try adding an extra airstone to the tank and see if that brings some relief.

JOSNNGUYEN
05-12-2013, 02:07 PM
Thanks guys for your help . I will add more air stone to the tank. Hope the fish will be fine. Thanks guys

Second Hand Pat
05-12-2013, 02:09 PM
Hi Pat :)
I've read some other posts were you mention micro bubbles. Sometimes I get small bubbles that stick to the aquarium wall and on my heaters. How can these bubbles affect my discus.
Thank you

Hi Chris,

I personally have only had one experience with micro bubbles and that is when I took one of my wild blues to the NADA 2012 Discus show in Atlanta. When I arrived in Atlanta and after checking into the hotel I took my fish down to the show floor to place it in the show tank. The tanks had been filled a bit earlier that day and were full of small bubbles sticking to the sides of the tank, heater and sponge filter.

After I added the fish to the tank it was not happy, all clamped finned and sticking to the corner. After a while it even had bubbles sticking to its sides. The fish remained that way for about 48 hours and b Saturday finally looked good, fins erect and was a more happier camper.

Second Hand Pat
05-12-2013, 02:12 PM
Thanks guys for your help . I will add more air stone to the tank. Hope the fish will be fine. Thanks guys

Please keep us posted on how they are doing.

blueluv
05-12-2013, 02:14 PM
Good to know, I'm learning so much from sd. Thank you Pat

rdiscus
05-12-2013, 02:41 PM
Don't think discus will die because TDS change from low to high ... Yes they're not happy when you do WC with hard water, but after 30mins t0 1 hour, they will act normal

strawberryblonde
05-12-2013, 08:19 PM
If it was me, I'd think that your water supplier added a heavier dose of Chlorine or Chloramines to the water. They do that a lot of the time in the spring. It will cause a lot of stress on discus. I had it happen 2 weeks ago. When I saw the distress I just added a second dose of Safe (Prime, or whatever you use as dechlor). Problem solved...they were right back to normal within 5 minutes.

DerekFF
05-12-2013, 09:44 PM
I agree that there may be an issue with the tap water. Chloramines are higher from a dose they did or maybe pipe repairs leaked something nasty. You should be able to call public works and see if anything happened to the water recently

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JOSNNGUYEN
05-12-2013, 09:45 PM
I did WC and discus are doing better but I know they are still stress. They are not eating and always stay in the corner. Just check my TDS and it's above 400ppm now. It seem like it's continue elevate. Just added another dose of prime (thanks Strawberryblonde) hopefully everything will be back to normal. I know there is something different in the water because my discus never acting like this when I do WC. If thing is not resolve. I probably will install the R/O unit. what do you guys think? It is difficult to install one?

rdiscus
05-12-2013, 10:37 PM
It's easy to install, but it take time to get RO water. I only get 5 gallons in a hour, and to get 5G RO water, you have to waste lot of water too, maybe more than 10G

JOSNNGUYEN
05-13-2013, 08:42 AM
Thanks for a quick response Ryan. I did not know RO unit will cause that much trouble. I probably have to age my water then. It seem to me that is an easy way to do. Thanks for all the help from you guys. By the way discus are still stress and have not eat but they are move around little bit more than yesterday

JOSNNGUYEN
05-13-2013, 10:41 AM
What you guys think if I age my water then could my TDS level back to normal or should I get a RO unit?
I need to know which way is the best way to do. Thanks

rdiscus
05-13-2013, 10:56 AM
age water doesn't low TDS, but RO does

My water has TDS over 300, but my discus don't have problem, even with breeding pair, I only mix RO water for pair has low hatching rate

PP_GBR
05-13-2013, 11:01 AM
Josh:

Before you decide to go with RO, bring your water sample to Petco/Petsmart and ask them to test for akalinity/GH. Do you use water changer such as Python?

JOSNNGUYEN
05-13-2013, 11:19 AM
Yes. I am using python hook directly to my tap faucet. I been doing this for months now I never came across anything like this unti now. So aging water is not going to help to resolve my problem. Using RO unit just waste too much water
Now I really don't know what to do but if I decide to go with RO I will get my water test . thanks guys

PP_GBR
05-13-2013, 11:27 AM
To tell you the truth, I bought Python and Aqueon water changer and returned them to the stores both times because my fish don't like the bubbles, even my flowerhorn, very hardy fish went darting and hiding in the tank after WC. That was the end of water changers. Now I'm back with bucket by bucket LOL.

JOSNNGUYEN
05-13-2013, 11:45 AM
I probably have to go the same but I read online it's said that hot water seem to increas the hardnes in the water so I will try to do another wc when I get home tonight and just use cold to warm water and see anything different. I heard that flowerhorne is so aggressive but also beauty. I'm always want to get one. Thanks for your advice

Ehup
05-13-2013, 12:41 PM
Josh, are you using city water ?

JOSNNGUYEN
05-13-2013, 12:45 PM
Hey Eric I just pm you. Yes I am using city water

the20tonknuckler
05-13-2013, 12:54 PM
PP gbr

Buckets get old fast. Lol. I recently bought some brute containers and a cheap pond pump. Python for out. Pond pump aged water back in. So much easier on my back.

You can get the pond pump and hose from harbor freight for about 50 bucks. Each brute container was also about 50 bucks from home depot. Good investments.

JOSNNGUYEN
05-13-2013, 01:26 PM
You are right. The bucket does get old fast but I guess in my situation right now I will do anything to help my discus. I hope PP GBR doesn't have too many tanks because it might take awhile to fill it up LOL

PP_GBR
05-13-2013, 02:36 PM
Josh

Trust me, I do not have as many as others but enough to kill my elbows. I'm having tennis elbow as we speak. Do you have room for a Brute can to age your water? I only age water for discus tanks overnight but other tanks I only age (wait) 1-2hrs for the bubbles to disappear before refilling the tank, and I do it in 5 gal buckets in the bathtub.

Mike

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm thinking about doing that too but at the same time I do not want to recoil the long hose. I have tanks on the first floor and basement.

DiscusLoverJeff
05-13-2013, 02:51 PM
Josh the one thing I don't see here is if you checked with your local community to see if they changed something in the water source? Sometimes they add something to the water in the springtime. I would call them, then, test your water before entering the tank.

You also have to be careful that they are not flushing out your fire hydrants. This can add a lot of nasty things to your water. I know, happened without my knowledge last fall. Now before using any tap water, I let it run for a few minutes to observe the color of the water. Then I fill a glass and check that too along with testing.

PP_GBR
05-13-2013, 03:06 PM
J

Until you figure out what's going with your tap water, hold off on feeding them with BH, feed them with pellets/flakes/or something will not foul the water and you could skip wc for a day or two.

JOSNNGUYEN
05-13-2013, 03:11 PM
Thanks Jeff and PP GBR. I will do that tonight and also give my water company a call to see what is going on.
PP GBR
I don't have enough space to put the barrel. Tried to think if it fit in my bathroom. Wish I have a basement like you. That would be nice. You do have tennis elbow too? Mine too but it only give me pain intermittent. Hope you feel better with the elbow. Thanks guys for your advice

PP_GBR
05-13-2013, 03:27 PM
J:

Go to HomeDepot.com to check the sizes. You could buy one and return if it does not fit. Until you figure out, try the temporary aging so that there are no bubbles in the tank. Any corner in the house you could use for the Brute, is there?

JOSNNGUYEN
05-13-2013, 03:51 PM
I will check out tonight to see if I have enough room for it. I tried to feed them with freeze dried brine shrimp but they did not eat anything at all. That is why I am so worry. Thanks PP GBR
By the way I found on Craig list that they do have pickles barrel 60 gallons but its cost only $15 I think that is a good price

strawberryblonde
05-13-2013, 06:52 PM
Hi J,

Could you post a picture of your tank? Also, could you retest your nitrates now that you've done more water changes. And what type of filters do you use?

JOSNNGUYEN
05-13-2013, 09:20 PM
Good new guys. My discus are moving around and eating right now. I guess they are used to high level of TDS now. They are still little shy when I come but see much better now. I'm so relief. I will post pics as soon as I'm done update them to photobucket. But be prepare my tank is so simple and plain. Plan to have bare bottom though. Easy to clean. And I'm currently using canister filter with k1 filters. My water parameters for today are:
Ammonia 0
PH is 7.6
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10-20 ppm but lower with seachem test kit
Thanks a lot guys could not do it with out you guys thanks

JOSNNGUYEN
05-13-2013, 09:36 PM
http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p792/JOSHNGUYEN1/IMG_03341_zpsde141ba0.jpg

JOSNNGUYEN
05-13-2013, 09:38 PM
http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p792/JOSHNGUYEN1/IMG_03311_zps5c961a57.jpg
http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p792/JOSHNGUYEN1/IMG_03351_zps0e0cf204.jpg

sorry guys this is my first time took pics of discus. You can tell I'm not really good at it. :o

rdiscus
05-13-2013, 09:46 PM
http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p792/JOSHNGUYEN1/IMG_03341_zpsde141ba0.jpg

http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p792/JOSHNGUYEN1/IMG_03311_zps5c961a57.jpg

http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p792/JOSHNGUYEN1/IMG_03351_zps0e0cf204.jpg

rdiscus
05-13-2013, 09:49 PM
If they're shy, cover something under the light, make your tank not too bright ... when everything get normal, remove it

JOSNNGUYEN
05-13-2013, 10:00 PM
Thanks Ryan. I will do that. Feel bad because my tank does not have a "wow" factor like everyone else in this forum:(:(

rdiscus
05-13-2013, 10:19 PM
Không có chi.

Not nice tank, but you have nice discus. I love leopard, albino?

JOSNNGUYEN
05-13-2013, 10:27 PM
Ryan are you Vietnamese? And it is leopard and couple check board piegon and Penang eruption

rdiscus
05-13-2013, 10:31 PM
Yes I am
Leopard look like albino

PP_GBR
05-13-2013, 10:33 PM
J

Don't feel bad. You're not the only one. I'd not show my tank either. I'll get slapped you know. When you are ready to remove the gravels, I have some tips for you.

PP_GBR
05-13-2013, 10:49 PM
J:

Is your tank cloudy after wc?

JOSNNGUYEN
05-13-2013, 11:06 PM
Nice to see Vietnamese in this hobby too. Where I live we don't have too many Vietnamese so it always great to meet some one. Hey PP GBR I think I am regret after showed pics of my tank LOL but I am ready for your tips regarding remove the gravels. My water never get cloudy I think because I am using aquarium balls so my water always clear.
Thanks you guys

PP_GBR
05-13-2013, 11:38 PM
No, I did not mean your tank is cloudy. With your set up, you could not use bucket like me because it will stir up the gravels making the water clouldy before it settles down. If it does not happen at WC then it is good.

You should thank Toni for asking to see your tank. Now it explains why you have nitrate. My tank is very simple BB. I keep FH so I don't have gravels in the tanks and I thought yours was BB. LOL

JOSNNGUYEN
05-14-2013, 09:12 AM
At first I thought a about BB but I change my mind. Now it make it difficult sometime when you try to vacumm your tank. You mean I will not have nitrate or low nitrate if I keep my tank BB? I have no idea . But hey thanks you guys a lot for helping me out. And PP GBR you forget you give me some tips of how to remove gravels :D

strawberryblonde
05-14-2013, 10:41 AM
Hi again, and thank you for the pictures. Your tank looks fine! Well, except for the gravel that is. Gotta get that out for now if you want to help lower the TDS.

Here is what I think is happening. The gravel is building up fouled old food and poop in it. That has slowly raised the level of nitrates and the TDS in the tank. Discus don't like Nitrates! You want to keep nitrates below 5ppm if possible.

The fact that your nitrates are still so high even after all those recent water changes is what leads me to think that the gravel is the problem.

Here's what I would do to remove the gravel.

1) Get a 5 gallon bucket, add fresh water, heat to the same as the tank, add the filters, then net out the discus and put them in the bucket. Cover it lightly with a towel in case they try to jump out.

2) Scoop out all the gravel you can, then drain the tank. Once the tank is empty, dump out any leftover gravel, then rinse and wipe out the inside of the tank.

3) Paint the outside bottom of the tank white and let dry.

4) Refill the tank, move the filters, heater and fish back to the tank and observe them. If they seem stressed or are gasping at the top of the water, add a full dose of Prime and observe again. If they still seem stressed, add 1 tbsp. aquarium salt per 10 gallons.

Watch your Ammonia and Nitrite levels for a few days after you remove the gravel just to be sure that you don't have a mini cycle. Judging by the size of the discus I think you'll be fine...your tank isn't overcrowded.

rdiscus
05-14-2013, 10:53 AM
If you decide to paint, why don't paint the other 3 sides, if not at least the back. Tank looks much better without seeing all wiring in the back

blueluv
05-14-2013, 11:09 AM
Good morning rdiscus and strawberry blonde

Painting the outside walls of the aquarium, is that purely aesthetic or does that help in reducing stress in discus. It seems to me that discus are afraid of their own shadow. Usually when my discus are eating at the surface something will scare them and they'll dart off, also sometimes when they're eating from the bottom. Even after that they still come back and finish their food. Thank you

JOSNNGUYEN
05-14-2013, 12:04 PM
Thanks Ryan and Strawberryblonde for your advice. I will paint my tank this weekend. I will paint on the bottom is white and all 3 sides is light blue. what do you think? But I dot know there is particular paint that I have to use or anything that stick on the glass. No wonder why my nitrate never down because of the gravel. Man I do not know there is a lot informations that I still need to learn. Thanks a lot guys

rdiscus
05-14-2013, 12:20 PM
Use spray paint ... I bought mine at HomeDepot, you can buy at Lowe, Walmart ... just give you the idea

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/300/e0/e09ee741-5470-465d-acdc-73c035a2e9db_300.jpg

JOSNNGUYEN
05-14-2013, 12:49 PM
Thanks Ryan I will buy that and try out. Does it come with variety colors right?

rdiscus
05-14-2013, 01:17 PM
Yes ... look at the color of the cap, that the color after you spray

JOSNNGUYEN
05-14-2013, 02:04 PM
Thanks Ryan

PP_GBR
05-14-2013, 03:58 PM
J:

Sorry. It was too late last night and I missed it. You got good tips there. I'd would lower the tank water level first to restrict their movements. Turn the net seamed side out so the smooth side is in. Place the net in the tank, corner them first then slowly net them. Wait for them to stop jumping before you lift the net above the water. Place your hand over the net or pinch the sides of the net so they don't jump out before you get the net out of the tank. Place towels on the floor to catch the drips and in case they jump out and land on the floor. Try do it slowly so you don't scare them and stir up the gravels. Do not chase them around the tank either.

You could use Python hose to syphon (just the hose only, without the gravel tube/flow valve) the gravels to the front lawn/patio. If it 's not feasible then use the net to scoop out the gravels. Net out a little bit at a time so you don't rip the net and scratch the glass.

To paint, make sure you mask and tape everything. Only expose the surfaces where you want to cover with paint. Make sure there is no spray paint gets inside the tank. Do it outside in the open space and cover the area with papers/painters cloth so you do not get paint drips everywhere. Do it on the weekend so you're there all the time to keep your eyes on the fish in the bucket.

If you are going to paint 3 sides as suggested, mask around the top rim and the front side first then flip the bottom tank up, mask the bottom rim before you spray paint. This way will prevent the spray paint drips inside the tank.

Oh, one more thing, shake the spray can as much as you can before you start spraying.

JOSNNGUYEN
05-14-2013, 05:47 PM
Thanks PP-GBR. I will get this done on the weekend. These advices is saving me alot of trouble when come in to paint. I'm not good at paint at all but will do my best. Hopefully things will be much better after this. It will be paint all over the garage this weekend hooray. LOL

PP_GBR
05-15-2013, 09:34 AM
Ryan

Do you use primer at all? Is this an oil based paint?

rdiscus
05-15-2013, 09:52 AM
No I don't ... just spray, it cover everything, and look good

I want blue look from inside, but black from outside if it's show tank ... I don't want to see blue tank when i'm walking the room, so I spray other 3 sides blue first, then wait for about 10 mins then spray all 3 sides again with black, so from outside look black, but look blue from inside

JOSNNGUYEN
05-15-2013, 10:08 AM
Good idea. If you don't mind can I copy your idea and apply to my tank? Hope it is not copyright :(

PP_GBR
05-15-2013, 10:18 AM
Ryan

May I see a closed up pix? I'm little slow today. Thanks.

PP_GBR
05-15-2013, 10:21 AM
J:

I don't know what you have in your tank but if you have 2 of anything then I suggest you split them up. Put one on each side such as your bio bottles.

JOSNNGUYEN
05-15-2013, 10:30 AM
I did that but everytime I feed them with freeze dried brine shrimp and the food got stuck behind the bio bottle so I just moved them to other side LOL but I will put it back. It does look nicer before than now. Other than that I just have 1 heater and 1 aerator. I think I need to re-decorate my tank.
Hey Ryan, I would love to see your tank too if you don't mind for us to take a look to get an idea.
Thanks guys

rdiscus
05-15-2013, 11:22 AM
Here you go

http://i393.photobucket.com/albums/pp13/rhpets/P1015053_zps9df3763e.jpg

http://i393.photobucket.com/albums/pp13/rhpets/P1015054_zpscb4c6caa.jpg

You can see from outside, kind of black, you can spray more black paint to make it look 100% black if you want, but I just like the mix, kind of art work :), it's just me

blueluv
05-15-2013, 11:32 AM
Hey Ryan
Will painting the tank. .. some how reduce stress in discus? The reason I ask is that discus seem to be afraid of their own shadow. . Lol!

Thank you

Trier20
05-15-2013, 11:37 AM
If I was you I would call the water company and ask them if they have put something in the water that would cause the TDS to rise like this. Better to call and look like a crazy fish person than not call and never know.

JOSNNGUYEN
05-15-2013, 12:15 PM
Nice tank Ryan. Thanks. And nice group of discus you are having there. Are you breeding them too Ryan?
Thanks Brandon, I will give them a call soon. I am busy lately but will give them a call to make sure they are not put anything in my water. Thanks a lot guys

JOSNNGUYEN
05-15-2013, 12:18 PM
Hey Chris I m having same problem too. Somehow my ring Checkboard pigeon is afraid everytime I come near while the other discus begging for food. Until I'm gone then he will come out and eat. Don't know why

rdiscus
05-15-2013, 01:27 PM
Nice tank Ryan. Thanks. And nice group of discus you are having there. Are you breeding them too Ryan?

Thanks ... Yes I breed them, this is one of 2 my contest groups here ... Check them out

JOSNNGUYEN
05-15-2013, 01:34 PM
Definitely, I don't know when I will be like you guys. Breed discus. Just thinking about it make me feel so anxious. But I know I'm not at that level yet. Thanks Ryan.

PP_GBR
05-17-2013, 08:51 AM
Ryan

Thanks for the pix. Your fish are very nice. Why are there only six, what about lucky # 7? LOL

J

Everyone once was a beginner. Take your time to grow them out properly.

JOSNNGUYEN
05-17-2013, 09:47 AM
I checked out his discus. They are very nice and especially he breed and raised them. That is special
Thanks PPGBR. I will take my time. Can't rush for this. I guess I will be ready when I am;)

PP_GBR
05-17-2013, 04:23 PM
J

Ready for your weekend project? I'm thinking about doing mine with rollers because the tanks are in the basement. LOL. I got some gray paint I could try on one tank first. The though of having to fetch the water puts me off for a long time.

Have fun painting.

JOSNNGUYEN
05-17-2013, 04:36 PM
Thanks PP-GBR. I am going to Lowe now to pick up some paint and brushes. I probably started tonight because I have to do wc anyway so I can go ahead get it done. Will post pics after finish.
You should do it too. It going to be fun. I need more of this in my life. Work, work and work is all making me exhausted. It's time to have some fun :p

coty
05-17-2013, 07:29 PM
It's easy to install, but it take time to get RO water. I only get 5 gallons in a hour, and to get 5G RO water, you have to waste lot of water too, maybe more than 10G

you get 1 gal. of ro water to 3 gal. of waste water..

JOSNNGUYEN
05-17-2013, 08:41 PM
That is too much for waste water. I think I will pass RO unit. Thanks Coty. I am will clean out all of my gravel hopefully my TDS will lower

PP_GBR
05-17-2013, 10:53 PM
J

What kind of gravel do you have there?

JOSNNGUYEN
05-17-2013, 11:40 PM
I got Topfin white gravel. My tank is almost done. Poor fishes have to stay in the bucket for the rest of the night. It will be done tomorrow. Color is nice too. I will post pics for you guys take a look. I know it will be easy to clean up from now on :p

rdiscus
05-18-2013, 12:37 AM
Why do you need brush? Spray paint is better

JOSNNGUYEN
05-18-2013, 07:05 AM
I couldn't find spray pain with the color I wanted. Lowes is having limited selections so I am going to paint it. It will be done today. Can't wait ;)

rdiscus
05-18-2013, 10:09 AM
Paint will take lot of time comparing to spray, and it will show brush marks ...

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-pbnnVWIly34/TrQbNtYYSXI/AAAAAAAAACM/X4svmgEHiws/s1600/brush+marks.jpg

JOSNNGUYEN
05-18-2013, 10:53 AM
I saw it now. I guess it's too late now. Thanks Ryan. It does show brush marks.

PP_GBR
05-18-2013, 07:32 PM
J

No, it's not too late. Use a razor scraper to scrape the paint off and paint it over with a small roller. BTW, how does it look? Do you like it?

JOSNNGUYEN
05-19-2013, 11:43 AM
It's done. it's not perfect but I did spent a lot of hours for it. :D. I will post pics. after wc. I am telling you, it is so much easy to clean now. I actually see their poop now. lol. And guess what? TDS dropped to normal level now. It's 88 yes......
ph: 7.2
ammonia: 0
nitrite: 0
nitrate is the only one confused me. On my API test is 20ppm but on my seachem test is less than 5ppm. I don't know which one I can trust.
Thanks a lot guys. But next time definitely will use spray paint. Brushes is too hard to do.

JOSNNGUYEN
05-20-2013, 09:49 PM
Hey guys, just took some pics after WC, let me know what you guys think? sorry for bad pics http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p792/JOSHNGUYEN1/image_zps9931420b.jpg
http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p792/JOSHNGUYEN1/image_zpsb52eb435.jpg
http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p792/JOSHNGUYEN1/image_zps43090be5.jpg

rdiscus
05-20-2013, 10:16 PM
Tank look much better Josh, good job

Put something under the light until they swim around ...

PP_GBR
05-20-2013, 10:45 PM
Josh

Go to a Dollar Tree Store, buy a roll of cellophane wrapping paper. Size it to fit under the light fixture. It'll filter out the bright light. I used blue and really like the color. Then I ran out of blue and used yellow instead. It's still looking good. Have not tried red/pink cellophane yet. Is is the center brace on the bottom or just the reflection from the top center brace?

What's the temp?

rdiscus
05-20-2013, 10:56 PM
Just put some paper you find in your house, like newspaper, it will be removed later, don't spend money on it :)

JOSNNGUYEN
05-21-2013, 09:15 AM
Thanks guys. They still shy but come out and eat this morning. Definitely look better than before and it very easy to clean too. The brace is on the bottom and one on top at well. And water temp set up at 84F. For right now I will leave the light off but I do use ceiling light in my living room until they get little better. Thanks a lot guys for your help. By the way my TDS level now is dropped to 80. Things is getting better. And water smell better too. I guess with the gravel I did not do a good job vacuum the tank. Thanks

rdiscus
05-21-2013, 09:58 AM
You're lucky since you have very low TDS in your water ... my TDS is over 300

PP_GBR
05-21-2013, 11:47 AM
J:

Keep the light off at feeding or all time for now. You'll see your fish grow in the dark LOL. Do you turn off the filter at feeding and how often you clean it? The cellophane paper costs only one dollar/roll. It's cheaper than Colormax bulbs you know.

I'd up the temp to 86 F.

JOSNNGUYEN
05-21-2013, 12:06 PM
It's good for me if I look into breeding later. My TDS always low. How do you lower your TDS Ryan? RO filter?
I wonder if I do x-ray for my fish how the X-ray look? LOL
I will bring the temp up when I get home today. My discus eat a lot. I will feed them more after they comfortable. For right now I feed them only 3 times a day. Everytime I stand there they will come out and begging for food. I will go broke. Lol

rdiscus
05-21-2013, 02:40 PM
Yes I have RO filter, but I use 100% tap water for tanks, only mix RO for breeding pairs that have low hatching rate ...

JOSNNGUYEN
05-21-2013, 03:39 PM
Can't believe RO unit is giving to much waste water. Hey Ryan I'm thinking upgrade to 150 gallons but I don't know I have time to maintain them. How often you clean up and so wc with all the tanks that you have?

rdiscus
05-21-2013, 03:57 PM
I told you that I only do wc twice a week for Discus 4"+. I try to do more wc for fry up to 3"

Remember i have external filter, not just sponge filter like yours

JOSNNGUYEN
05-21-2013, 04:53 PM
Sorry I am having short term memory LoL.

PP_GBR
05-21-2013, 09:02 PM
Finally I got two tank bottom painted. Waiting to do the second coats now. J, do you have a sponge for your filter intake?

JOSNNGUYEN
05-22-2013, 10:11 AM
I think its time for someone to post their tank pics up :p
I don't have sponge for the intake. Do I need one?

PP_GBR
05-22-2013, 10:34 AM
Do you have canister filter? The tanks are not done yet. It'll take me long time b4 they r ready.

JOSNNGUYEN
05-22-2013, 11:04 AM
Yes I do have fluval 406 canister filter. Do you think I need a bubble wand to oxygenate water more or canister is enough?
What color for your tank bottom?

PP_GBR
05-23-2013, 04:02 PM
J:

Is the tank 24 inc. high? I'd would add it in. I'm using Benjamin Moore Gray Owl for the bottoms. It does not look gray but rather is a light beige. For the backs, I'll use BM Wythe blue. Had not have time to paint the backs but I'll soon.

JOSNNGUYEN
05-23-2013, 04:25 PM
Don't forget to post pics when you done. Can't wait to see your tank:D

PP_GBR
05-24-2013, 07:39 PM
I think I'm in trouble. The two fish are in a pre spawning mood. Have no time for this.

JOSNNGUYEN
05-24-2013, 08:03 PM
So it is a good new but also a bad new. So what are you going to do? Can you separate them?

PP_GBR
05-24-2013, 09:18 PM
No place for them until I finish painting the tanks and I hate moving fish. Just wait after they laid the eggs, I'll syphon the eggs out. LOL

JOSNNGUYEN
05-25-2013, 10:31 AM
I guess that is the only way to do. Which fishes is that? Are they good a good pair ?

PP_GBR
05-25-2013, 02:56 PM
They are SSL. They are 2 of the bigest of the group. They pick their own mate. I think they did a better job than me.

rdiscus
05-25-2013, 03:27 PM
They pick their own mate. I think they did a better job than me.

You picked wrong one? poor you lol

JOSNNGUYEN
05-25-2013, 06:49 PM
hey guys.My tank water is cloudy since I painted the tank. I know that I am having mini cycle. but It that a reason why my water cloudy?

PP_GBR
05-25-2013, 08:48 PM
J,

How often do you clean your canister? Are you feeding them BH?

Ryan

I was going to split the group but has not done yet. I was not going to put the 2 largest fish together either. LOL.

JOSNNGUYEN
05-25-2013, 08:51 PM
I think the last time I cleaned it was 3 months ago and I do feed them frozen beef heart. Do you think this is make my tank cloudy?

PP_GBR
05-25-2013, 10:25 PM
It's time to clean your canister. That's why I asked U B4.

PP_GBR
05-25-2013, 10:26 PM
Add a prefilter sponge on Ur intake for easy daily cleaning.

JOSNNGUYEN
05-25-2013, 10:44 PM
I will do that and see if it help. Thanks

PP_GBR
05-25-2013, 11:03 PM
J

Dump the water in the canister and rinse all media with tank water at WC tomorrow. Do 50 % WC.

JOSNNGUYEN
05-26-2013, 09:04 AM
Thanks PP_GBR.I'm just finished clean the canister filter and WC. It sure did dirty and I expected. Now hopefully the water quality will improve. Thanks

PP_GBR
05-26-2013, 11:44 AM
What did you see in the canister, left over BH? LOL

JOSNNGUYEN
05-26-2013, 12:13 PM
Yep and more. LOL The water sure did improve today. I guess from now on I have to clean them every to months. I kind of feed them frequently so the water did get cloudy quick. The penang eruption that I bought from Kenny last month and It already getting big and start showing more spots on it body now. Plus the other colors show up nicely too. I'm happy with that. Can't wait for next shipment.;)

PP_GBR
05-26-2013, 06:19 PM
Your fish will get bigger than mine. OK, the pair is laying as we speak.

JOSNNGUYEN
05-26-2013, 06:21 PM
Wow . If you don't want it go spawn I think you need to seperate them otherwise it will be a full house of wiggles LoL

PP_GBR
05-26-2013, 06:26 PM
Don't worry. They will be eaten by other fish or by the parents anyway. I'm trying to finish painting so I could move them. I left the tank light on but they do not care, still did it LOL.

PP_GBR
05-26-2013, 06:34 PM
Look like they are laying lots of eggs. Lot of eggs for the first time LOL

JOSNNGUYEN
05-27-2013, 02:29 PM
I hope everything is work out for you. Maybe you can do something with the eggs. LoL maybe cook them? LoL

wild_discus
05-27-2013, 10:08 PM
Hi, my TDS increases few hours after WC. Why does that happen? I feed my discus hikari dried blood worms and frozen bloodworms. Each time I WC, TDS declines as my tap water is 20 ppm. But my tank water TDS inevitably increases in matter of hours and stabilizes around 220. Pls advise. Thx

JOSNNGUYEN
05-28-2013, 10:36 AM
The reason why my TDS elevated because my gravel but after I removed it my TDS level down to below 100 and it was Above 300. But how is your fish doing? When it happened my discus were almost die. They were horrible. What is your water parameters?

PP_GBR
05-29-2013, 12:00 PM
J

You're right. I cooked their eggs for my breakfast. LOL. They were gone now. I managed to transfer them to another tank and they seem doing very well together. The male was so mean to my other discus. Phew, now I have more time to finish painting, not only the tanks but my rec room. LOL.

WD

Could you post a pix of your tank?

JOSNNGUYEN
05-29-2013, 12:05 PM
Well you will have to do something with the eggs right? LoL
You still painting? It's a lot of work. I would not do it again. Have fun and post pics soon when you done