PDA

View Full Version : Discus gasping after water change?

musicmarn1
05-13-2013, 08:34 PM
oh no! can anyone help? just did a 60% water change (not able to age water yet be a few more days to get the set up ready so that its not filling up with hair from all the animals i train/board/rehabilitate for shelters etc. they are all gasping at the surface ! never happened to me before with any fish - i just put the two HOB filters back on to get some oxygen in the water quick the temp stayed as close as i could keep it, at 30C and they are all young Discus, any suggestions or quick help? i added a bit more prime to help with stress coat what else could i do? :confused::confused::confused: read a few other posts on this subject, always seems to be an oxygen issue? i did clean the fluval 4C filter media, washed it out in primed clean water, i noticed the carbon bag was dripping dark water so i rinsed it very gently in primed clean water and put everything back they were already gasping which hasnt happened before !

Second Hand Pat
05-13-2013, 08:36 PM
I know you said you added it but just make sure you added plenty of prime.

Skip
05-13-2013, 08:40 PM
Enough prime for entire tank volume

musicmarn1
05-13-2013, 08:47 PM
oh my gosh its the worst feeling in the entire world to cause harm to these guys !!! i thought i added TONNES of prime, but i just added more......was the water too warm? was the filter media too dirty and caused upset was there too much organic material from overfeeding, though they were happy before the WC, did i do too big of a water change (had images of the breeder tanks with them all flat at the bottom for 90% changes in my head) am i better off doing lots more small changes than one big 60% like that, id been doing bigger changes due to the fact they seemed so happy afterward and im feeding them often to grow them up. arrg

strawberryblonde
05-13-2013, 08:47 PM
I've had this happen. Add a full dose of prime as Skip recommended. If that doesn't help within 5 minutes, add another air stone pronto.

strawberryblonde
05-13-2013, 08:48 PM
Oops, we cross posted...how are they doing now?

musicmarn1
05-13-2013, 08:51 PM
THANK YOU guys oh my gosh the fast response, i think i was going to throw up and burst out crying all at once ! (girly girl about my animals) i added more prime and some of them are coming down from the surface more, i got two full flow HOB filters dropping water into the tank instead of their usual foam covered flows, i might add an airstone (my husband had the pump in his car he just fixed it and is racing back now after my distressed call) **** man i really messed that up, THANK YOU THANK YOU everyone, this is major life saving stuff to have support, its not like a dog where i can call one of my 4 different vets lol.

Second Hand Pat
05-13-2013, 08:54 PM
Good to hear your discus are settling down.

musicmarn1
05-13-2013, 09:20 PM
husband saved the day !!

he got home with the fixed pump, a sponge filter and a new airstone...*my hero* AND a bottle of wine for stress therapy ! haha what a guy :angel:

anyway now i have to ask how much is the right amount of oxygenation???

without causing too much turbulence?

i already put one foam thing back on a HOB filter and was just about to just leave it to the sponge filter and airstone by adding another foam pad to the other filter, minimizing flow now they seem to be *mostly* ok, some still near the top but no serious gasping like they were and the bigger ones are down below again.

again supreme and sincere thanks for the guidance, poor Discus but no one seems super distressed now, phew.