PDA

View Full Version : all my eggs are duds I need help

randydawn
05-14-2013, 09:41 AM
I posted here before about having zero hatches. I have 4 pairs and none of them have gone to wigglers on a spawn. I bought an r.o. and am curious as to how long I will need to flush the pairs before I get viable eggs. The r.o. is now down to 40. temp 84 degrees, water changes 20 to 25% daily, feeding twice a day beef heart. ALL the eggs turn white and none hatch. R.O has been down to 50 for two weeks and still no good spawns. Do I need to be more patient or look for another cause?

thanks,

Randy

John_Nicholson
05-14-2013, 10:09 AM
Are you sure your males are making runs and are old enough? Sure your pairs are not all females? Not a big deal but I would also drop your temp a couple of degrees.

-john

strawberryblonde
05-14-2013, 10:48 AM
You said they've been spawning for 6 months. How long have you owned them? How old are they? How do you know that they are actually pairs? Where did you purchase them?

randydawn
05-15-2013, 04:41 PM
The discus were in a 55 gallon. I waited until each paired off on their own and spawned in the community tank. Then I separated them. I bought from another breeder. The other pair that just spawned in the community tank was the same...all white eggs. They came from another breeder. All fish are at least 18 months old. They have been spawning for 6 months straight with no good spawn. Do I need live food? Or change the diet? Or is this water quality related...perhaps an over build up of calcium or somthing that takes a whil to flush out before I started using the R.O?

John_Nicholson
05-15-2013, 04:53 PM
So they were in a 55 and paired off. What size tank did you move them to and how much water are you changing in them. How hard is the water in the tanks? I never use live food. I have used a beef heart almost exclusively for a very long time and have been very successful.

-john

strawberryblonde
05-15-2013, 07:00 PM
Mine were around 2 years old before I started getting successful spawns with wrigglers. Up till then, they were paired off and laid eggs regularly, but the eggs always went white, which meant either the male wasn't fertilizing, or I had 2 females paired off.

What's the TDS, GH and KH of your current tank water with the RO in it?

randydawn
05-15-2013, 11:14 PM
[QUOTE=randydawn;1000802]I posted here before about having zero hatches. I have 4 pairs and none of them have gone to wigglers on a spawn. I bought an r.o. and am curious as to how long I will need to flush the pairs before I get viable eggs. The r.o. is now down to 40. temp 84 degrees, water changes 20 to 25% daily, feeding twice a day beef heart. ALL the eggs turn white and none hatch. R.O has been down to 50 for two weeks and still no good spawns. Do I need to be more patient or look for another cause?

thanks,

tds is 50.

randydawn
05-16-2013, 08:08 AM
[QUOTE=randydawn;1000802]I posted here before about having zero hatches. I have 4 pairs and none of them have gone to wigglers on a spawn. I bought an r.o. and am curious as to how long I will need to flush the pairs before I get viable eggs. The r.o. is now down to 40. temp 84 degrees, water changes 20 to 25% daily, feeding twice a day beef heart. ALL the eggs turn white and none hatch. R.O has been down to 50 for two weeks and still no good spawns. Do I need to be more patient or look for another cause?

thanks,

tds is 50.

they are now in 30 gallon tanks. TDS is 40.

John_Nicholson
05-16-2013, 09:02 AM
This one is puzzling. With this number of fish I have to think that you have at least some correctly paired as male/female. As long as the males are making runs it almost has to be water/health related. Wish I could be more help but not sure where to direct you. One option would be to pull a set of eggs, put them in new water the same temp, heavy aeration and MB. I don't expect you to raise them artificially but it would help provide some insight into what is happening.

-john

Second Hand Pat
05-16-2013, 09:35 AM
Maybe post pictures of the pairs and their breeding setup could be useful.