PDA

View Full Version : pothos plant for nitrates

blueluv
05-14-2013, 09:15 PM
Hello everyone
I'm going to take some cuttings from my golden pothos plant and use them in my 150 gallon tank, for the purpose of helping with nitrates. I thought about using and egg crate that I saw at a hardware store, the problem is that the crate cost $13.97 and I would only need a small section of it, not cost affective in my opinion. I need some ideas on how I can keep my cuttings above the water line without an egg crate. I would really appreciate your ideas. .. so please share them with me.
Thank you

rbarn
05-14-2013, 09:24 PM
Just waste the $12 in egg crate. Really not going to find anything better and not spend $10 on it too.

Len
05-14-2013, 10:30 PM
I used egg crate. It works well.

lipadj46
05-14-2013, 10:55 PM
Some day you might need an emergency tank divider and the sheet of egg crate will be a lifesaver

sent from an undisclosed location using morse code

blueluv
05-14-2013, 11:21 PM
Some day you might need an emergency tank divider and the sheet of egg crate will be a lifesaver

sent from an undisclosed location using morse code

Wow! A life saver? I never thought of it that way. What do you been by life saver? Thanks

the20tonknuckler
05-14-2013, 11:41 PM
So the pothos are not potted then? I've been wanting to add them as well.

Second Hand Pat
05-14-2013, 11:46 PM
The roots stay in the water and help to remove the nitrates.

the20tonknuckler
05-14-2013, 11:55 PM
Probably not needed on my planted tank then.

Second Hand Pat
05-15-2013, 12:05 AM
Probably not needed on my planted tank then.

Only if you want a cool plant growing on top of the tank.

blueluv
05-15-2013, 12:27 AM
Hey Mike

Other plants you can try are ; nemphthytis , chlorophytum comosum. Pat, what about a split leaf philodendron ? Will this plant work as well?

Second Hand Pat
05-15-2013, 12:32 AM
Hey Mike

Other plants you can try are ; nemphthytis , chlorophytum comosum. Pat, what about a split leaf philodendron ? Will this plant work as well?

Yes, believe so. We had a member from the Netherlands with one over his wilds tank.

Ryan
05-15-2013, 03:15 AM
I don't even use egg crate. I just stick the roots down into the back of the tank where I have holes cut in the plastic strips on my hoods/glass canopies. Then I drape the leaves and vines along the top of the tank.

My only problem is that a lot of cichlids eat the roots, so I need a way of preventing this. Someone on MonsterFishKeepers posted a tutorial which involved cheap plastic baskets/trays from the garden section of Lowe's which were attached inside the tank with ties or suction cups and the roots were put inside the basket. The baskets contained slits or holes so that water could pass through and let the roots absorb nitrates, but prevented the fish from eating them.

Disgirl
05-15-2013, 07:20 AM
Good idea Ryan, one can also use the black plastic planters meant for plants in a pond. They are cheap, full of holes and can be found at Lowe's or other garden centers, even lfs or online. They come in many sizes. I use them in my pond.
Barb

John_Nicholson
05-15-2013, 10:27 AM
I have them in my fish house and they have climbed into several tanks. I don't know if they remove enough nitrates to make a difference but I don't mind the look.

-john

blueluv
05-15-2013, 03:52 PM
Hello everyone
I appreciate all the feedback , Thank you. Seems to that's is between the hydroponics basket or egg crate. Also how quickly does the pothos control nitrates?

zimmjeff
05-15-2013, 04:23 PM
not as fast as a water change. Jeff

Ryan
05-15-2013, 04:27 PM
^ True. It will also depend on how many you have in the tank, and how large they are. I keep them in cichlid tanks because I only do water changes about once a week and every little bit helps.

blueluv
05-15-2013, 05:22 PM
not as fast as a water change. Jeff
Lol. Jeff never posted on this thread. We have similar avatars. I do two wc's a day and still my nitrates are between 10-20 ppm. Good point on the water change. Very true Ryan, every little bit helps.

a volar
05-15-2013, 05:45 PM
Lol. Jeff never posted on this thread. We have similar avatars. I do two wc's a day and still my nitrates are between 10-20 ppm. Good point on the water change. Very true Ryan, every little bit helps.

Chris, zimmjeff refers to his own name which is Jeff :)

blueluv
05-15-2013, 06:09 PM
Chris, zimmjeff refers to his own name which is Jeff :)
:o oops! Lol! I'm a nuckle head, Sorry about that

a volar
05-15-2013, 06:26 PM
:o oops! Lol! I'm a nuckle head, Sorry about that

Lol...... It happens.....LOL

nc0gnet0
05-16-2013, 04:43 PM
fashion your own top out of stryofoam, cut holes in the stryofoam large enough to let only 1/2 of the pot slip through and your good to go. They also make floating planters for ponds,

blueluv
05-16-2013, 05:10 PM
fashion your own top out of stryofoam, cut holes in the stryofoam large enough to let only 1/2 of the pot slip through and your good to go. They also make floating planters for ponds,

That's an excellent idea, I never thought of that. Thank you all for your ideas. I went ahead and bought the egg crate. I'll definitely keep the Styrofoam idea in mind , for my next aquarium.