PDA

View Full Version : YES! Finally eating flakes!

bbhill
05-18-2013, 01:56 PM
I know this isn't a big deal to most of you fellow discus lovers, but, it is a tremendous deal to me, and I just had to tell somebody. My poor husband tried to act excited for me when I told him, but it was easy to see what he was thinking, :confused:(Have you lost your mind?) I have 6 juvies that only ate frozen bloodworms when I got them 6 weeks ago. It took me 3 weeks to get them to eat Al's freeze dried black worms (thank you Al!) and another 3 weeks to get them to eat flakes. I didn't think they ever would. I have offered them just about everything frozen/freeze dried that's available, and they have repeatedly refused it, till now. I now have hope of getting them to eventually accept a variety of foods, which is what I always wanted to give them. I feed them 4-6 times a day, and would like to give them 4 or5 different foods daily. Thank you to all the great people on this site and the awesome advice given in the forums. I read it every day, as much as I can, time wise. I doubt I would still have all 6 fish,(or any, for that matter) if I hadn't found this forum. Thank You.

Becky from Kentucky

Second Hand Pat
05-18-2013, 03:28 PM
Hi Becky, as a fellow discus keeper I can sure relate to your accomplishment. Congrats on getting your juvies to eat flakes. The best way I have found to introduce new foods is to offer small amounts as the first meal of the day and if you simply do not worry about they will be taking it before you know it. :D
Pat

8ftbed
05-18-2013, 05:39 PM
Congrats and I share your jubilation. My first group gave me the finger for flakes. Initially. While they don't rush to the dinner table now and the tank floor gets littered. I swing by later and there's nothing but poop. Praise the poop and pass the flake. :)

bbhill
05-18-2013, 08:25 PM
Thank you Pat, and 8ft.(Is your bed REALLY 8 feet? LOL) That is exactly how I got them to eat Al's worms and the flakes. And I do praise the poop! I still don't know how such small animals can possible produce so much crap, but they do! I knew you guys would under stand my relief/excitement when the flakes started disappearing.

Becky

Second Hand Pat
05-18-2013, 08:35 PM
I think 8ftbed might be referring to his truck. :)

8ftbed
05-18-2013, 08:47 PM
Yes. Ancient username based on my truck and an old favorite CW song "...I've got an 8 foot bed that never has to be made". :)

bbhill
05-19-2013, 02:00 PM
OH, I see. I just thought you were really, really tall!