PDA

View Full Version : What container do you store your aging water in, and where did you buy it?

discusdoc
05-22-2013, 09:46 AM
I am looking at aging 100 gallons a day, so I was thinking about picking up 2x 55g food grade plastic barrels. Are these good for aging water? There is an ad near me for $20 blue plastic barrels 55g.

Thanks in advance for your input!

blueluv
05-22-2013, 10:40 AM
http://www.plastic-mart.com
Try this site, this is where I bought my 75 gallon storage container.

DiscusLoverJeff
05-22-2013, 10:44 AM
Hi Doc,

You will need to see if those are virgin containers and are they food grade.

I personally use Rubbermaid (Brute) containers from Home Depot and I wash and bleach them, then air dry them before adding anything to them. Once they are filled for the first time, I also check the water parameters just to be sure.

Bill63SG
05-22-2013, 11:07 AM
I use a food grade barrel,had tomatoe sauce in it.Make sure they come with lids.

JOSNNGUYEN
05-22-2013, 11:24 AM
Where I live they are having 65 gallons food grade barrel with lid for $15. That is good price

discusdoc
05-22-2013, 11:42 AM
Thanks everyone for the replies! The lady says they're food grade and had soy sauce in them, so hopefully I can stop by and take a look. How would you suggest to wash and bleach them, Jeff? Would I use soap or just beach water? They would require a thorough rinsing before use, and I'll be sure to test my parameters as well.

DerekFF
05-22-2013, 12:25 PM
That's a good price for barrels. Just a bleach rinse and a little scrub of the inside will be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DiscusLoverJeff
05-22-2013, 12:50 PM
That's a good price for barrels. Just a bleach rinse and a little scrub of the inside will be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1

Use a spray bottle. Mix it with 3 parts water 1 part bleach. Shaken, not stirred (couldn't resist). Spray, wipe, then spray with tap water (can use same bottle if rinsed thoroughly) and wipe, air dry.

CrazyAngels
05-23-2013, 01:14 PM
Thanks everyone for the replies! The lady says they're food grade and had soy sauce in them, so hopefully I can stop by and take a look. How would you suggest to wash and bleach them, Jeff? Would I use soap or just beach water? They would require a thorough rinsing before use, and I'll be sure to test my parameters as well.

Since you actually know what was in them, then you can actually clean them just as others have stated, it's when you don't know the contents that it's taking a chance.. best of luck.