PDA

View Full Version : Is there something wrong with my discus AND are they mating?

Atomicmiss
05-24-2013, 01:35 AM
I recently bought 2 discus. I bought my pigeon blood first followed by a golden albino (from the same tank) even more recently. Ever since I bought my pigeon blood he hides and looks down and only comes out to eat the flake food that sinks. He doesn't eat his frozen food or pellets and I'm using the same food the store used. Ive tried softening the pellets too. I'm moving the rasboras tomorrow to see if they scare him although they don`t seem to bother him at all. Today I had to move things around in the tank because I couldn't find him and when I did he was diagonal under a rock. All he ever does is hide, either in one spot or along the back at the bottom. Hes never swam to the top of the tank either. What could cause him to act like this? My golden albino has his alone time too but he swims around alot and he loves the gouramis. the pigeon blood idnt bothered by them either.

Now to complicate matters I think the two of them are mating. when my pigeon blood DOES come out the two are side by side, and I mean glued to the hip! They swim up along side each other head to tail and wiggle and they swim over top and under each other too. There is rarely ever any aggression and when there is its pretty minor...

I did my research, and I will be adding more discus (after this is fixed) but this has me stumped! Should I ask the store if I can exchange him? I really don't want to do that if they are mating but I cant even tell that because it was the LAST thing I expected! If they arent mating though I would rather get a healthy fish if he isn't.

My PH is 6.4
Temp is 86
sand substrate (1 inch(ish)
My tank is cycled
Water parameters are perfect
I use the Fluval C4 HOB (put sponge instead of carbon)
I do a 30% water change every 2 days
I vacuum the bottom every 2 days
I age the water as long as I can, normally 4 hrs

I have 2 cory albinos catfish, three dwarf gouramis and 5 harlequin rasboas. The golden albino and all my other fish love the tank and are perfectly healthy too.

Trier20
05-24-2013, 03:18 AM
When they swim beside each other and wiggle is it a large wag or is it more like a shake? When they start to pair you will see what is called a shimmy it looks like they are trying to shake something off them almost in a quick manner. You will also see them swim toward each other and bow as the approach. I think what you are seeing is one trying to show the other that he/she is dominant.

Atomicmiss
05-24-2013, 05:34 AM
It's a shimmy, almost like they're dancing... Hence my confusion! It would be pretty amazing if the first 2 discus I bought turned into a mating pair! I'm still worried about what I should do for the pigeon blood. He was pricey and he's obviously not healthy :(

Atomicmiss
05-24-2013, 05:39 AM
So if it were aggression should I remove the bully for a few mins and rearrange the tank? I read and learned so much but I feel a little over my head with my pigeon blood :(

DiscusLoverJeff
05-24-2013, 01:03 PM
Many times if there are only 2 discus in a tank they will stay together. They are a schooling type fish and thats just their nature. I hope you have a pair, but you never mentioned the size of them? Also, what size tank are they in?

Atomicmiss
05-24-2013, 03:51 PM
They are in a 55 gallon and my pigeon blood is about 3.5 inches. My golden albino is 4 inches. I'm concerned about my pigeon bloods behaviour though because he never comes out and always hides. He is pointing up tho and has never even swam to the top of the tank. He only eats the flake food too so that concerns me. He's been like this since I got him... Oh and I will be upgrading my tank soon too :)

DiscusLoverJeff
05-24-2013, 03:55 PM
Unless stunted, they are too young to be a pair. They really need more friends in the tank. If you can post some pictures (you will need at least 10 posts first) maybe people can help you. I just think you need more discus in the tank.

As far as eating, if you give them time they will come around to other foods; it just takes patients.

Atomicmiss
05-24-2013, 04:49 PM
Thanks Jeff! I was wondering why I couldn't post pics... I called the store I bought him from and they are going to exchange him because a few of them weren't healthy, ill probably end up with more tonight (providing my hubby doesn't notice lol)

Atomicmiss
05-24-2013, 04:51 PM
Do you think 4 or 5 in total would work? I was worried about the room but they love my bow front :)

lipadj46
05-24-2013, 05:42 PM
Do you think 4 or 5 in total would work? I was worried about the room but they love my bow front :)

You need 5 minimum

sent from an undisclosed location using morse code

Atomicmiss
05-24-2013, 05:54 PM
That's what I thought, thank you! I planned my discus tank around a time I could add them all within a month so they wouldn't be too stressed. I could write a book on all the trial and error and wasted money at this point lol. Not with the fish but with the set up and the things you ACTUALLY need lol but my fish are most important!

GrayLadyPat
05-24-2013, 07:52 PM
Thanks Jeff! I was wondering why I couldn't post pics... I called the store I bought him from and they are going to exchange him because a few of them weren't healthy, ill probably end up with more tonight (providing my hubby doesn't notice lol)

This concerns me...if they had a few that aren't healthy, and they're all in the same tank, they can pass on whatever they have to the so-called "healthy ones"...

Good luck to you, and remember that the people here are real pros. They can help with pretty much anything that comes your way.

Atomicmiss
05-24-2013, 08:01 PM
And I'm so thankful for that!! My albino seems perfect and is quite social, I didn't think to quarantine them since they were from the same tank and were my first discus. At least it's an honest and reputable place and are quite upfront and honest, they could have said tough luck... but ill be observing them a lot more closely and will be quarantining my new ones for sure!

Atomicmiss
05-24-2013, 08:04 PM
Oh and ill be buying from a different tank! Lol

Atomicmiss
05-25-2013, 01:15 AM
Well I've introduced my new discus to my aquarium and he's loving it! I can't wait to turn the lights on... He doesn't seem to be shy or stressed in the least :)