PDA

View Full Version : 1 on 1 aggression

SejRamkas
05-29-2013, 07:27 PM
I recently added 2 new discus to my 75 gallon display tank after a month long QT. I already had 4 discus in the tank for the time they were in QT. I have a 4" Red Turq that WILL NOT leave my new 5" Pigeon alone. Granted there is the whole pecking order thing I get that, but he only goes after this one fish when I added 2 new fish of equal size (also larger than the bully) at the same time. Does he only see one of them as a threat? I have 6 in there to "spread out the aggression", but he is only going after the one fish. The pigeon already has some ripped/split fins from it. It has been 2 days now and he is still going after this one fish non stop. Should this work itself out before it compromises the health of my pigeon blood?

timmy82
05-29-2013, 07:46 PM
Maybe it may work out but sometimes it wont either. Try altering the water a little what is the temp now ? If it is up 30c or ?88f I would drop the temp down to 28c ?82f. It maybe that they are the same sex and trying to show breeding dominance and there for it may not stop till you split them or go to a larger tank size. There are a lot of things that could be the cause.

ROOK45
05-29-2013, 07:49 PM
I would leave them for a few more days. If the aggression doesn't stop then I would pull the aggressor out. Put him in isolation for a week or so then reintroduce the turq back into the main tank.

Jon

SejRamkas
05-29-2013, 08:07 PM
Tank temp is down to 82, and I have had the lights off since I put him in there. Nothing seems to stop him. I will be rearranging the tank as soon as I get my sick fish out of the isolation tank and can put them all in there. Then once they are transferred back I will keep him in there for at least a week by himself and reintroduce him. I just hope this will calm dow in the mean time.