PDA

View Full Version : QT discus dither tankmates with prophylactic meds method?

dkeef
05-30-2013, 04:08 PM
Ive been reading a lot lately on QT dither fish and many ppl here say they use dip or bath and use meds to treat them no matter what as a prophylaxis.

so far the info ive collected is:
After opening bag, dip them in methylene blue bath (not sure how long...maybe 1 min???) before adding into QT tank.
then another suggested keeping them in PP 4 hrs right before they get added to main tank.

so in between those for 2-3weeks, i assume just observe and treat if necessary??
i also have Tetra Paraguard which i was told has metro+prazi. should i use this also?

dkeef
05-31-2013, 02:04 AM
Anyone?

MKD
05-31-2013, 02:37 AM
some do and some don't use med during QT. IMO pure all meds in without see any signs or symptoms is not good. I'll watch them closely in QT, then treat if there is any symptoms. before you move them into main tank, take 1 fish from main tank and put in qt tank to make sure no other symptom show up. then it's safe to move in main tank. just my 2cents.

Elliots
05-31-2013, 08:40 AM
With domestics I would not add meds unless you are treating something. Watch the fish! Remember that some meds can kill BB so check to make sure your tank does not become uncycled. For wilds, speak to the person you are buying from to see what they did and did not do after their arrival. I do not know if you should or shouldn't treat wilds prophylacticly. Hopefully some "Wilds" people will answer this posting.

lipadj46
05-31-2013, 03:31 PM
He's not asking about treating discus. He's asking about treating other fish he will add to his discus tank.

sent from an undisclosed location using morse code

DiscusLoverJeff
05-31-2013, 03:38 PM
If you want to use meds in the QT tank, just make sure you know what you're treating. Not sure you need any meds as long as you don't see any signs of a problem. Over medicating or medicating for something that does not exist even as a prevention is overkill as far as I am concerned.

Know the symptoms, then treat. If nothing there, let it alone.

Chicago Discus
05-31-2013, 04:27 PM
Disregard...LOL

dkeef
05-31-2013, 04:33 PM
yea these are fish that are imported from singapore so i dont know how it will be. its my first time ordering from them.

lipadj46
05-31-2013, 04:46 PM
yea these are fish that are imported from singapore so i dont know how it will be. its my first time ordering from them.

Personally I would treat with something like Tetra parasite guard as per directions just to be safe. I did that with my black ghost knifefish and it ended up having tape worms.

dkeef
05-31-2013, 05:06 PM
Personally I would treat with something like Tetra parasite guard as per directions just to be safe. I did that with my black ghost knifefish and it ended up having tape worms.

i agree. just in case cuz symptoms may not show up in 2-3 weeks. but if i use meds, it doesnt mean i shorten the QT period right?

lipadj46
05-31-2013, 05:15 PM
No I would still QT for 3-4 weeks. Mind you I don't medicate all my QT fish. I actually never medicate if the fish are from a trusted source (Simply sponsor or other sponsors like Msjinkzd, unuguay etc.) but unknown sources like a random aquabid seller I do so as not to infect my very expensive discus.

dkeef
05-31-2013, 05:56 PM
No I would still QT for 3-4 weeks. Mind you I don't medicate all my QT fish. I actually never medicate if the fish are from a trusted source (Simply sponsor or other sponsors like Msjinkzd, unuguay etc.) but unknown sources like a random aquabid seller I do so as not to infect my very expensive discus.

would u use tetra parasite guard in the very beginning of Qt or end of it?

lipadj46
05-31-2013, 06:53 PM
Beginning

sent from an undisclosed location using morse code

dkeef
05-31-2013, 06:54 PM
Mucho Gracias!

dkeef
06-05-2013, 01:38 PM
some do and some don't use med during QT. IMO pure all meds in without see any signs or symptoms is not good. I'll watch them closely in QT, then treat if there is any symptoms. before you move them into main tank, take 1 fish from main tank and put in qt tank to make sure no other symptom show up. then it's safe to move in main tank. just my 2cents.

hey got a question. if one out of 100 fish was only fish that had disease symptom and died but rest are ok in Qt tank, do u treat it the whole batch anyway?

dkeef
06-05-2013, 01:43 PM
this is the one dead cardinal. all other fish are fine. it had tumor like growth on its lower lip and it died today. any idea if its parasite or bacterial? doesnt appear to be fungus(nothing white).

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a547/dkreef/null_zpsd3681be3.jpg (http://s1283.photobucket.com/user/dkreef/media/null_zpsd3681be3.jpg.html)

MKD
06-05-2013, 02:12 PM
are you talking about 100 cardinals? to me Cardinals get rotted tail and fungus a lot. If it does not spread out to other, i wouldn't treat the rest. Just keep your eyes on them.

ps: if your goal to get 100 of them in your tank, i suggest you get 150 of them.

dkeef
06-05-2013, 02:17 PM
I actually have 30 cardinals, 30 rummynose, 20 sterbai cories in qt tank.
That dead cardinal was only one that appeared sick. Rest are all fine.
I was planning to treat all of them with parasite guard then read that it could kill
Some of the them as well. What to do?

MKD
06-05-2013, 02:34 PM
Assume, you just got them, they may die for the next couple days due to stress. I wouldn't throw in any meds at this point, just let them settle in.