PDA

View Full Version : Can frozen bloodworms contain parasites?

Crunchy
05-31-2013, 08:59 PM
Hi all, I'm relatively new to discus, been in these for nearly half a year.

My tanks are cycled, I have a 70 gal planted with sub adults and a 40 gal grow out tank.

Recently one of the larger adults started pooping white stringy stuff and I treated with metro in 20 gal hospital tank and treated the main tank 70 gal with API general aid after I put the main victim back in.

My water parameters are ammonia & nitrite 0, no3 10. Twice weekly 50% WC. 30deg C, ph 6. Tap water treated with aquasafe or prime.

My question is, it's been fine for a few months, until I started heavy feeding with frozen bloodworms from a chinese made cubes. Will this cause the hex? Perhaps freeze dried blood worms are the way to go? My discus doesn't like to feed at the surface so the floating dried worms are hard for them to eat.

Thanks!

Edit forgot to mention these are 5inch pb mix.

lipadj46
05-31-2013, 09:03 PM
If they eat a lot of bloodworms they poop out the worm casings, looks like flagelletes but are not. Get freeze dried australian blackworm cubes from Al and stick them to the glass. But eventually they will learn to pick from the surface when you are not looking.

Crunchy
05-31-2013, 09:11 PM
If they eat a lot of bloodworms they poop out the worm casings, looks like flagelletes but are not. Get freeze dried australian blackworm cubes from Al and stick them to the glass. But eventually they will learn to pick from the surface when you are not looking.

Thanks for the reply. The reason I concluded it was hex is that one of them stopped eating, and when I treated with metro there was more white string mucus like poop all over the place. Luckily I spotted early enough and they are bigger fish so they seem ok for now swimming happily everywhere. The only problem is that he doesnt like dry food, and will hungrily attack only fbw (even after treatment). I'm holding off on the fbw and feed tetra bits or hikari gold, but he (victim) doesnt want to touch those.