PDA

View Full Version : Discus very sick. What now??!?

Danthemann86
06-01-2013, 05:51 PM
Disease Questionnaire - please complete
Please complete thus questionnaire if your fish are sick (copy and paste). The more details you can provide, the better we are able to diagnose and help you treat your sick fish.

DISEASE QUESTIONNAIRE

Problem

1. I had 6 discus (approx 2.5 to 3.5") all doing great for 2 months until I added 2 new ones from a different source. Then the problems begin immediately after adding the new fish.

2. Symptoms: turning dark, excess slime, hardley eating, clamped fins, occasionally darting, very skittish,hiding, grouping together in dark corners, white cotton looking spider web like substance on their skin.

3. I've used bactershield for a week with no luck.

Tank/Water

4. 72gallon 8 discus

5. 30 to 40% wc every 3 days. More frequent now

6. 6months old. Substrate bottom about 1.5 in

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.

8. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp ___83__

- ph __7.5___

- ammonia reading ___0_

- nitrite reading _0___

- nitrate reading __10__

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water ____

- municipal water _100%___

- RO water ____

9. 2 new 2" discus added.

10. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.

discusmat
06-04-2013, 08:51 PM
i am having kinda the same issue. get yourself some API General cure.
it has worked wonders so far for me.

Danthemann86
06-05-2013, 12:43 AM
I do not but can easily obtain it. I ordered metro and was gonna try that. It's going on 2 weeks now and the symptoms are still the same with very little improvements. It's kinda weird because I have 3 sets of discus from 3 different breeders and the 1 set seem back to health with the exception of eating only sparingly. However their behavior and color has come back to almost normal. I will try your suggestion. With over $600 invested in fish and the unique character these creatures it is truly heartening to witness them in such a dormant state. Thanks for the response it is greatly appreciated to have even 1 soul in the same corner.

discusmat
06-05-2013, 01:31 PM
well it's day 4 for me and my discus are getting color back and not swimming sideways at the top.
still not eating but at least they are swimming now.
do a 50% water change. add the podwer in a cup of tank water let it disolve for about 30 mins or so then add it in.
you let it work for 48hrs then do a 25% water change and add second dose. I think it's a miracle drug!i will swear by this product. I hope you have luck to my friend.