PDA

View Full Version : number of fish in tank

frankthedolphintrainer
06-02-2013, 04:15 AM
what is everyones opinion on the amount of fish in the tank, I currently have a 195 ltr 2 ft tall tank with a 125 Ltr sump (actual water is 95 Ltr in sump). I have 4 discus, 3 golden rams, 2 dwarf gourami's, 1 bristlenose catfish and a borneo sucker fish.

This tank setup is running fine at the moment but i'm thinking of adding one more discus. Will this extra fish push it over the edge?

The tank is also about to have a automatic water changer installed for 50 ltrs per day. The tank also has ample hiding spots for the fishies.

Im interested in everyones opinion both positive and negative.

timmy82
06-02-2013, 08:34 AM
Mate I normally work off 30ltrs per large Discus. With the auto water that helps too. What are you doing with the tank is another thing I prosume it is a display tank? If you are trying to grow Discus I wouldn't do it in a display tank and would only use a bare bottom tank. I have 10 breeding pairs at the minute and can ship if your intrested in Australian bred discus let me know.

discuspaul
06-02-2013, 10:34 PM
With your sump volume and the automatic daily water changer you should be just fine to add another discus or two, as long as you're adhering to a good tank cleansing routine as well. In fact, one or 2 more discus would help the overall sociability of the group and lessen any unwanted pecking order aggression.
Not familiar with a borneo sucker fish, but keep an eye on it, to ensure it doesn't take a liking to discus' slime coats as part of it's diet.
Got any pics, so we can see the tank set-up ?

frankthedolphintrainer
06-05-2013, 08:36 PM
Ill post some picks later, but it looks the same as a sewillia.

And the tank is a display tank. As for the 1 discus per 30-40 ltrs will this still work as 1/3rd of the swimming room is sump

discuspaul
06-05-2013, 10:23 PM
Yes. Swimming room is not the more critical factor - water volume overall & it's turnover/fresh change/filtration is the more important factor. By adding 2 more discus, you'd still be within the 30 liters per adult discus 'guideline' in your main tank - so no worries, mate.