PDA

View Full Version : Well, I am going Tankraised discus now

ChefAlex19
06-05-2013, 12:00 PM
Unfornatley I got lied to and taken advantage of. It turns out these were not QTED and I got sold 2 fresh off a shipment. They died while in my QT. So my 2 tefe greens died of parasites I guess, I probably used the wrong kind of medication. I am going to go with Tank rasied discus for now. Anyways, I have decided to go with the tank raised option of discus now. This gives me lots of color and are pretty much cheaper than wilds and I can get 6 to 7 of them and they will be comfortable. Plus the sounds of them doing much better in tank water sounds good to me. I am going to be keeping them in my show tank with my 2 angels, and tetras and maybe some corys and rams. The question is what are the most colorful discus out there? I am going to be getting 6 turquoise but I want a few nice red ones. What are some reds and greens I can have for discus? What size is good to start? I am thinking Martha's 2-3'' turquoise to start. :)

DiscusLoverJeff
06-05-2013, 12:27 PM
Just look at one of Kenny's previous month specials in the sponser section and you will see a wide variety of colors and strains. Check Mike Beals and Hans just to name a few.

Sorry for the problem you had and the death of your fish.

Second Hand Pat
06-05-2013, 12:31 PM
So what did you do? Important to know so it does not happen again.

DiscusLoverJeff
06-05-2013, 12:37 PM

Good point!

ChefAlex19
06-05-2013, 12:48 PM

Well being me I decided to put them in a 40 gallon breeder and QT them. I had the tank at 80 degrees, kosher salt, and prazi pro to remove any parasites. They were eating fine. Then one day they were shaking like they had parasites, breathing hard, white poo, and then they died the next morning.

DiscusLoverJeff
06-05-2013, 12:58 PM
Well being me I decided to put them in a 40 gallon breeder and QT them. I had the tank at 80 degrees, kosher salt, and prazi pro to remove any parasites. They were eating fine. Then one day they were shaking like they had parasites, breathing hard, white poo, and then they died the next morning.

Sounds like more than a parasite if they died that fast?

ChefAlex19
06-05-2013, 01:03 PM
Sounds like more than a parasite if they died that fast?
It wasn't that fast. They were alive for 2 weeks and ready to go in show tank. I just described what they were doing before they died.

DiscusLoverJeff
06-05-2013, 01:05 PM
Either way Alex thats too bad you lost them. Hope you find something you like.

CrazyAngels
06-05-2013, 01:32 PM
Before you began to treat them on your own, did you contact the seller? as they may have given you ideas on how they QT fresh stock.

ChefAlex19
06-05-2013, 01:38 PM
Thanks Jeff. No I should have contacted the seller.

zimmjeff
06-05-2013, 02:11 PM
I might suggest filling out the question sheet so someone can look and see if everything was alright. Just hate to see it happen again. Good luck. Jeff

Etek
06-05-2013, 09:26 PM
Kosher salt? Never heard of using that in a fish tank. But good luck with getting some domestics. There are plenty of options from simply sponsors. But remember to not miss from different sources if possible. You can but just gotta be diligent withur qt