PDA

View Full Version : Sick discus

kwroberto
06-10-2013, 11:59 AM
1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?

About 2 weeks ago I saw that he stopped eating and was hiding in the back behind a piece od driftwood and wouldnt come out

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).

He started to haide and turn dark and had white poop that almost immedialtey dissolved in the water, no clampped gills or darting or visible whiite marks on skin

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.

Ive tried Metro for 5 days @ 250mg/10gallons

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.

60gallon tank, almost 1 year old, 11 fish with an average size of 4.5".... one fish is 6"

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).

20% on Wednesdays and 50% on the weekends usually Friday

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?

About 1 year, Sand bottom about 1-1.5"

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.

I age my water for 2 days @ 84 degrees, no pH swing

8. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp __88___

- ph __6.8___

- ammonia reading _0ppm___

- nitrite reading __0ppm__

- nitrate reading __20ppm__

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water __0__

- municipal water _0___

- RO water _100%___

9. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.

no

Im not sure whats wrong...Am I dosing the Metro medication right, Do I need to dose it longer, should I be using Fenbendazole or Praxipro and worming the discus...I dont think its a tapeworm because the poop didnt stay together is almost all dissolved immediatly......Please help!!!!

Immus21
06-10-2013, 12:14 PM
I'm no expert but I'd say you need to up your w/c's to start with. 11 discus in a 60G tank is quite a high bioload...

kwroberto
06-10-2013, 12:31 PM
Thats suppose to be a 50% on Wednesday and 50% on the weekend not a 20% on Wednesday, basically is 50% WC 2x a week

Disgirl
06-10-2013, 12:46 PM
When I use Metro, I do 500 mg a day for 10 days. I do about 75% water change per day and redose right after it. It is a lot of med in a large tank, you can use a small hospital tank to make it less expensive.
Barb

blueluv
06-10-2013, 05:18 PM
The question here is. Why are you using 100% ro water?

kwroberto
06-10-2013, 05:32 PM
The question here is. Why are you using 100% ro water?

Cause my tap water which is well water treated by the town I live with chlorine and has very high nitrates over 50ppm....I live in a area with multiple farms

blueluv
06-10-2013, 05:41 PM
Hmmm! Ok, a lot of fertilizer fun off. How are you reconstituting your water. This is important to know. . It could possibly be the reason for what you're experiencing with your discus.

kwroberto
06-10-2013, 07:40 PM
I'm using seachem's aquavitro series ... It's called remineralize, its just like r/o right by kent marine, what do you think is wrong?

blueluv
06-10-2013, 10:00 PM
Is it called replenish? I'm thinking your having ph shifts. Maybe aquavitro is affecting your gh kh which can give you ph shifts. What's the ph in your tank before you add water? What's the ph in your aging barrel before you add it to your tank?

kwroberto
06-11-2013, 09:09 AM
Is it called replenish? I'm thinking your having ph shifts. Maybe aquavitro is affecting your gh kh which can give you ph shifts. What's the ph in your tank before you add water? What's the ph in your aging barrel before you add it to your tank?

Its called mineralize, the aquavitro line made by seachem. Maybe I should be using something different?? Im not sure what the pH difference are but I will be doing a water change tonight and Ill check the before and after I add the mineralize

http://aquavitro.com/products/mineralize.html

Here's the link to the product I use