PDA

View Full Version : discus tanks.... 1.5" babbys

kenneywallace
06-11-2013, 08:00 PM
Long story short

Im getting 12. Dicus for 10 $ a fish, their young fish, and I have seen the breeders fish in person and their defently healthy fish

To start the main bat will be in a 30 to grow out a bit, befor being moved into a 70 gallon tank,

Water peramiters are hard at our place and the breeders place, so that aspact of matching water is ok, a sponge filter will be in use

The tank mates in the 70 will be 5 ottocincos and maybe 5 albino coreys ( maybe) all will be in the tank befor hand so any illness should have shown if it will

How long can say 10. Discus stay in the grow up tank

Food for fry? Brine shrimp?

Also at my house I have a 20 I would like to house 2-3 fish in, probly can aforrd another big tank down yhe road but not atm (55 g has a jack, a handfull of silver dollors, and a pair of geos, a big pleco and some pi tus catfish , overstocked over filtered, the jack is peacfull and over a year old, not intended but a rescue fish)

Could I do them in a 20? How long? 1-3? Their not a pair their siblings

mmorris
06-12-2013, 08:50 PM
A 30 gallon might be a bit large for 12 one inch fish. They might be happier in the 20 for a couple months. Make sure the sponge filter is cycled. I wouldn't add any other fish for a couple months. Quarantine! When I buy one-inch fish, I start them on newly hatched baby brine shrimp. I suspect it makes the transition easier but I might be imagining it. Ask the breeder what he is feeding them.

Squidward
06-14-2013, 03:29 AM
A 30 gallon might be a bit large for 12 one inch fish. They might be happier in the 20 for a couple months..

When I add small fish to a big tank (not Discus), I sometimes put up a plastic mesh divider. Have the youngsters alone on one side until they get bigger and a bit more confident.

joanstone
06-14-2013, 07:14 AM
I just don't fill the tank all the way. You can keep more water in as they get bigger and you won't have to move them.

jsalas623
06-16-2013, 01:47 PM
I just don't fill the tank all the way. You can keep more water in as they get bigger and you won't have to move them.

Good idea!