PDA

View Full Version : Discus head standing, please help

James Ortega
06-12-2013, 06:36 AM
Hi Everyone
Hope you could help me please. I have a 2 yr old discus that swimming on its head. Appreciate any help and advice you could give to save her.

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problem and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?

Fish started head standing 3 days ago. There's also a noticeable lump on both sides of her body between the third and fourth stress bar from the tail section.
Please take some time to view the video i took below.

http://youtu.be/4HTCYMNQxDU

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).

headstanding and the lumps but the fish remains active and still eats as usual.

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.

None so far.

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.

50 gal, 1 to 2 years old , 9 pcs adult.

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).

50% wc every two days.
6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?
barebottom.

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.

no.

8. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp _____30 C

- ph _____ 7

- ammonia reading ____

- nitrite reading ____

- nitrate reading ____

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water ____

- municipal water ____

- RO water ____

Municipal water then i ran it through carbon.

9. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.
none.

10. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.

DiscusPamela
06-12-2013, 11:10 AM
Waiting for more experienced members to chime in, but could the lump be due to bloating and a would an epsom salt treatment help?

MKD
06-12-2013, 11:25 AM
What are you feeding him?

with my limited knowledge, he stops eating because he eats but not passing out is not a good thing. i would put him in hospital tank with high temp 88F and epson salt 1 to 2 tablespoon per 10 gallon. In few days, you may see some big cotton wastes. anyone please chime in at anytime.

PP_GBR
06-12-2013, 11:29 AM
J:

Here is the link:

http://www.slashdocs.com/ztzrw/sample-nada-newsletter.html

Scroll down to read or down load it. There is treatment for your fish in this newsletter. You need to up your WC to daily. I see you overstock your tank but if you add more bio filter such as sponge would help to control your bio load.

Move the sick fish to QT- med is very expensive.

HTH

James Ortega
06-12-2013, 12:15 PM
Thank you for all the responses.I feed them tetrabits and hikari biogold only. She is still very active and eats as usual.

Thanks for link PP_GBR, i saw the article of Carol. It seems my fish has an internal infection. Her description and the photo matches the symptoms of my fish, except for the ragged fins.
She mentioned she used one capsule of kanamycin sulfate for 10 gallons, is this 500 mgs or just 250 mgs capsules? i already moved the fish to a hospital tank. Thanks!

J:

Here is the link:

http://www.slashdocs.com/ztzrw/sample-nada-newsletter.html

Scroll down to read or down load it. There is treatment for your fish in this newsletter. You need to up your WC to daily. I see you overstock your tank but if you add more bio filter such as sponge would help to control your bio load.

Move the sick fish to QT- med is very expensive.

HTH

PP_GBR
06-17-2013, 09:44 AM
J:

Sorry I missed your post. I'd say 250mg. How is the fish doing?

George001
06-17-2013, 10:07 AM
Just a thought. Please include ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate readings. This might help in diagnosing the problem.

George