PDA

View Full Version : Nitrazorb?

Arron
06-13-2013, 12:33 AM
My tap water is loaded with nitrates, and consequently so is my tank water. Both tap and tank test at approx. 40ppm. Obviously, no amount of water changing will bring it any lower. (I do 30-40% changes with aged water every 3 days) With a 90 gallon tank, buying good water would get complicated considering the frequency and size of water changes. . . so I've been looking at Nitrazorb. Does anyone have experience with it? I've read comments that say it works, but will it reduce the nitrates enough (from 40ppm) to get me to a healthy zone?

I was also wondering about the number of pouches I could use? If one pouch treats 55 gallons, can I use two? It's a canister filter with three chambers so, there's room. Would it be more harm than help?

Ammonia - 0
pH - 7.0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 40

Tazalanche
06-13-2013, 07:10 AM
I don't know anything about nitrazorb, but a search on this site got 12 hits. I if you've considered alternatives, we discussed plants for nitrate removal here (http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?105746-Suggestions-needed-for-high-nitrates).

Good luck!

fredyx
06-13-2013, 11:25 AM
Nitrazorb defenitely is not the way to go, it will exhaust quite fast and the reduction won't be big enought ( I have that stuff at home and purigen, none of them can cope with nitrates in a discus tank with intensive feeding) I used it in my prefilters after one stage of active charcoal and another of zeolite and the nitrate reduction was close to zero ( tap water nitrate concentration was 10 ppm after the filtering 10 ppm again). IMO the only solution to cope with 40 ppm in tap water is the use of a RO system.-

Cullymoto
06-13-2013, 04:33 PM
I agree with fredyx, exchange resins are never really worth the trouble. Your doing roughly 40 gallons every three days in water changes, go get a small "under counter" r/o and hook it up to your storage container with an auto shut off system. ( I use a fill valve from a toilet, mounted on a free standing PVC skeleton shelf inside the storage tank. Low tech and super simple) when it is up and running you'll have 0 tds water and no hassles

Elliots
06-13-2013, 05:19 PM
Is this a grow out or show tank? Plants might be the solution but I am not sure how much reduction you will get from them.

Tommy Saville
06-16-2013, 05:39 AM
I have been using a resin ion-exchange filter, which gives nil nitrates, but the cartridges only treat 600 litres (150 gallons) so the cost is far too high. I am switching to RO very soon ! I understand that the process will remove 95% of the nitrates in my tap water.