PDA

View Full Version : Discus easily get common fungus ?

dkeef
06-14-2013, 04:31 AM
Everytime my discus get stressed from each other or for whatever reason, i see some of them have small fungi dots here and there in there fins or body. maybe few dots on a fish.
then later on they go away. especially clean water from wc helps.
is this common in discus?
i saw this at other ppls discus tanks as well.

John_Nicholson
06-14-2013, 08:45 AM
What is your normal water change routine?

-john

Keith Perkins
06-14-2013, 08:50 AM
What is your normal water change routine?

-john

+1 Sounds like something that commonly occurs with poor water conditions.

dkeef
06-14-2013, 11:36 AM
Weekly 70% wc.
Discus are fighting a lot lately. Those who get stressed are showing it but goes away after couple days.
Even when i first introduced discus in main tank with no other fish in it, 1-2 kennys discus showed it and kenny said its common but do more frequent wc.

John_Nicholson
06-14-2013, 11:43 AM
Keeping discus in marginal situations will often lead to these issues. The only real solution that I could offer would be take a little better care of them. Change water more often.

-john

Second Hand Pat
06-14-2013, 11:45 AM
Dave, I think you need to include more than one WC per week.

dkeef
06-14-2013, 01:42 PM
yea perhaps i will do twice a week. my nitrate is 5ppm tho.
just that it only occurs on fish that are fighting and beaten up. torn fins or scratched body from fighting.
rest show none of it. and once it starts to heal in few days, the white cotton goes away even without WC.

John_Nicholson
06-14-2013, 01:49 PM
It is a combination of poor environment and stress. In this case the stress is from fighting but it could have just as easily come from something else...and in the future it probably will.

-john

Tazalanche
06-14-2013, 02:07 PM
With only weekly water changes, are you sure its not PH burn?

dkeef
06-14-2013, 02:13 PM
ph burn? ph is 7.6 to 7.1 fluctuation.

dkeef
06-14-2013, 02:14 PM
It is a combination of poor environment and stress. In this case the stress is from fighting but it could have just as easily come from something else...and in the future it probably will.

-john

what would tell u if the water is poor if nitrate is 5ppm?

Second Hand Pat
06-14-2013, 02:20 PM

This

i see some of them have small fungi dots here and there in there fins or body. maybe few dots on a fish

Nitrate is only one indicator. Your fish are another regarding water quality.

Elliots
06-14-2013, 02:21 PM
People seem to have missed this. How many Discus do you have? How big are they? How big is your tank? If you have too few Discus the stress is concentrated and there is more and larger fights. You should have at least six to spread the stress around. More Discus would be even better!

John_Nicholson
06-14-2013, 02:27 PM

Years and years of experience.......Do you think water is only made up of H2O and nitrates?

-john

Tazalanche
06-14-2013, 02:34 PM
Questionnaire?

dkeef
06-14-2013, 02:47 PM
Years and years of experience.......Do you think water is only made up of H2O and nitrates?

-john

no thats why im asking to find out what your talking about.

Keith Perkins
06-14-2013, 05:35 PM
You can test for nitrites, ammonia, and nitrates, but there are untold number of bacterias etc. that can't be tested for. One of these many things you can't test for seems to building up between your weekly WCs and leading to your symptoms. At least double your number of WCs and the health of your discus will likely improve quickly.

sunshine
07-18-2013, 02:49 PM
Hey y'all.. I have the same question, but would like to know how to get rid of the white cotton spot on one of my Discus sides?

He's been sick for a while, as in my others threads, some have kept up my story. This one had the white stringy poo and I treated him for it for a long time, finally he got better, put him with the main pack, HIS EYES ARE still cloudy though, and then he developed this white patchy spot about the size of a bee bee. His back find/ tore-rotted and I treated him twice now with Furan 2, but that was two weeks ago. I thought he was getting better until this appeared. eyes still cloudy and he's staring not to want to eat again.....

Is that spot a fungas? bacteria or a parasite? I just orders a few supplies from Ken's again. MORE metro... shoot already went through a whole bottle of the 500mg. LOL..... it got all of them better buy my big Rudy.... Will his eyes ever clear up

Any suggestions?