PDA

View Full Version : upgrading from my 30g to a 65g.help with transfer steps.

kompakt
06-14-2013, 10:03 PM
Hi everyone.

I'm new to the forum and have some questions.
I have a 30 gallon setup right now running perfect.
I just bought a new 65 gallon tank in preperation for getting some discus in the
future.So i'm going to transfer everything into the bigger tank.

So for questions.

I have my fuval 206 canister filter on my 30 g which is getting transfered onto the 65g.
Should i clean out the filter before transering it to the 65g?(note:not all the media but just regular maintence) or would it be better to let extra bactria in the canister help cycle the new tank.

Or should i sqeeze some of the sponge filter media into the new tank to jump
start the cycle?

I have a used (i cleaned it out well) fuval 405 canister which i plan to add to the 65g
to help assist my 206.Is there anything wrong with running two canisters.
is a 206 and a 405 way too much fitration?

sorry for all the questions...

j03yYung
06-15-2013, 01:36 AM
To cycle your 65 gallon a bit faster use this method.

Do 50% water change from the 30 gallon and dump that water into the 65 gallon. Do it daily or every other day for about a week. You should start to see the cloudy water start as the bacteria starts to grow.

If you have driftwood, sponge, rocks, anything bacteria can grow on in the 30 gallon. Place them in the 65 gallon for a bit.

Then add small batches of fish to maintain the constant ammonia.

lipadj46
06-15-2013, 07:07 AM
You don't cycle a tank by adding old tank water to it. Also suggesting an in fish cycle is bad advice as you can get ammonia from ace without surfactants in it. If you want to kick start the cycle add a large bottle of safestart.

sent from an undisclosed location using morse code

DiscusPamela
06-15-2013, 07:23 AM
What fish do you currently have in your smaller tank? Are they discus compatible? I don't know how much turbulence the amount of filtration you mentioned will put out, but I'm thinking the concern would be too much current as opposed to too much filtration?

lipadj, out of curiosity, how long does a bottle of safestart take to get the tank cycled for him? I ask because I've never used the stuff myself. I cycled with a cleanup crew (plecos and corys) and some neons. Luckily, these weren't harboring anything that had any ill effect on my discus, though I suppose I was taking a chance?

lipadj46
06-15-2013, 08:16 AM
lipadj, out of curiosity, how long does a bottle of safestart take to get the tank cycled for him? I ask because I've never used the stuff myself. I cycled with a cleanup crew (plecos and corys) and some neons. Luckily, these weren't harboring anything that had any ill effect on my discus, though I suppose I was taking a chance?

Safestart takes about a week or 2 to get a full cycle, it is one of the few that work. Yes in fish cycles are a bad idea both for the fish you are subjecting to harsh conditions and you take a chance infecting your discus when you bring them in.

adammak47
06-15-2013, 09:06 AM
Put a sponge filter from ur old tank in ur new tank and it wil cyclw instantly

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

kompakt
06-15-2013, 09:50 AM
What fish do you currently have in your smaller tank? Are they discus compatible?

e?

In my 30 gallon i currently have 10 neon tetra's and 2 german bue rams.

kompakt
06-15-2013, 09:59 AM
You don't cycle a tank by adding old tank water to it. Also suggesting an in fish cycle is bad advice as you can get ammonia from ace without surfactants in it. If you want to kick start the cycle add a large bottle of safestart.

I currently have gravel in my 30g which i wil be not transfering to the 65g. I'm switching to sand for the new tank.
Now if i transfer everything from the fully cycled 30g (water,plants rocks)and transfer my cycled fluval 206 canister filter
and my small group of fish.Would the 65g tank not be cycled right away.

I would need to add a second canister filter to keep up with the extra 35 gallons in the new tank.
That filter would have new media in it and i'm wondering if this will throw the whole cycle process out of
wack.?

Note: i wont be putting discus into the new tank untell conditons are 125% perfect.

Thanks for the help guys so far..

DiscusPamela
06-15-2013, 03:58 PM
In my 30 gallon i currently have 10 neon tetra's and 2 german bue rams.

My neons aren't generally long for this world at discus temps. From what I've read, the blue rams do fine.

DiscusPamela
06-15-2013, 04:04 PM
I currently have gravel in my 30g which i wil be not transfering to the 65g. I'm switching to sand for the new tank.
Now if i transfer everything from the fully cycled 30g (water,plants rocks)and transfer my cycled fluval 206 canister filter
and my small group of fish.Would the 65g tank not be cycled right away.

I would need to add a second canister filter to keep up with the extra 35 gallons in the new tank.
That filter would have new media in it and i'm wondering if this will throw the whole cycle process out of
wack.?

Note: i wont be putting discus into the new tank untell conditons are 125% perfect.

Thanks for the help guys so far..

If it were me and I had everything to do over, I would not start out with juvies in a planted tank with any kind of substrate and cycle as lipadj advises. I started out with my juvies in a planted tank and do not feel they have grown as well as they would have in a BB. I also cycled with fish which luckily did not harbor any nasties that would contaminate my tank/discus. Since you're getting a fresh start with these discus in a fresh, new tank, I would do it all the right way, and once they're grown out, add plants and substrate as you like. Taking advice to the letter of the experienced members here can save you untold heartache, stress, and money.