PDA

View Full Version : OMG I just cooked everybody!!!

pcdebb
06-15-2013, 03:20 AM
I just got home to a tank of dead fish. My school of neons, both panda corys, both botias and one of my discus are dead. My remaining two were at the top of the tank which is what got my attention. The only other survivor is my pleco. I was scared and thought it was the mopani wood I put in recently, so I went to snatch those pieces out, and noticed that my water wasnt warm, it was HOT. I look at the heater and the dial was turned all the way up as far as it would go! my thermometer says it is 96 degrees.......I got all the dead ones out and immediately did a 50% water change with non-aged water directly from my ro/di holding tank, in an effort to cool it down.

Is there anything I need to be concerned about? I'm watching them very closely and they seem to be fine right now. the PB was normal, my blue one was a little dark at first but he's lightened back up. He liked to follow the other one around and it seems like he's looking for him :(

DonMD
06-15-2013, 05:50 AM
I have treated my discus for ich by raising temps to 91 degrees for several days, it did them no harm.

DiscusLoverJeff
06-15-2013, 07:02 AM
Sorry to hear that, was it a bad heater?

Kal-El
06-15-2013, 07:27 AM
I treat HITH at that temp with no issue with my Discus. In your chase they didn't have enough oxygen so they were gasping oxygen. With high temp mean less oxygen therefore why some may have die and the remaining at the top of the tank.

DiscusPamela
06-15-2013, 07:39 AM
The main thing I would be worried about now is an ammonia spike caused by the dead fish. I'd do another WC just to be on the safe side with that. As far as temps, I agree with kalelhawj. Discus can survive higher temps, but oxygen must be added as higher temp water has a need for more oxygen.

Skip
06-15-2013, 12:11 PM
My entire JV tank of discus were cooked at 106.. no survivors

discusmat
06-15-2013, 01:50 PM
This sadly has happened to me twice! I cannot put faith in any submersable heater.
I went with an inline heater that will not fail and fry my fish. So sorry for your loss.
I know exactly what you are feeling.

LizStreithorst
06-15-2013, 03:22 PM
96 degrees for an extended period will cook Discus. Of course it cooked the others. I had it happen once. I unplugged the heater and did a small WC so as not to give them temperature shock. Then I floated ice cubes in a plastic bag in the tank to get the temp down slowly.

j123
06-15-2013, 04:19 PM
Sorry to hear about that. This has happened to just about everybody that has been keeping fish for a while.

The best solution I've come up with is getting a heater of wattage high enough to keep the tank warm but not powerful enough to cook the fish if it malfunctions. The other solution is two heaters underrated for you tank size. So both heaters will keep the tank up to temperature, but one can not heat the tank itself.

Then of course there's the favorte of every serious hobbist. Keep the fish room at 80 degrees and don't use tank heaters.

Elliots
06-15-2013, 08:24 PM
There is also a separate temperature controller that will turn the heaters off at a preset temp. That will work if the heater sticks on or if the heater is turned up too high.
j123, if you use smaller wattage heaters and they stick on they will still boil the fish but it may take more time and give you a chance to turn them off, get a controller please. Most people on SD keep their Discus at 82-86 usually. I think that is the most popular temp. range. I keep 84 myself. I do not think any of those temps are better than the other, I think it is just personal taste.

Poco
06-15-2013, 08:38 PM
I look at the heater and the dial was turned all the way up as far as it would go!

Sorry to hear about your loss. Did you find out how did the heater dial turned all the way up, it cant move all by itself.

tonytheboss1
06-15-2013, 09:06 PM
There is also a separate temperature controller that will turn the heaters off at a preset temp. That will work if the heater sticks on or if the heater is turned up too high.

:bandana: Agree w/ Elliots. My solution was a temp controller. Nothing is ever fool proof. If it's electrical or mechanical it can fail but this tilts the odds for continued success in your favor. I've had a couple of different ones but right now I'm working w/ JEHMCO - ETCI Temperature Controller w/ receptacle and 500 watt Titanium Heater. So far so good. There are other choices or combos but I really would look into a controller. "T"

8ftbed
06-15-2013, 10:20 PM
Thats sad and scary. My condolences. The only heater failures I've had is when they just quit.

Which flavor of botia did you have? Clowns can be such clowns.

Allwin
06-16-2013, 01:28 AM
That sucks,is that happen all of a sudden or ur heater reading deviated you?

mee
06-16-2013, 02:13 AM
I had this happen recently. 2nd time in 30+ years of keeping. It sucks. My heart goes out to you, and all who have had to see this sight.