PDA

View Full Version : The long and miserable road back to discus...

zchauvin
06-16-2013, 04:58 PM
Well as most of you know I had discus, then I left and for what you don't know.. Went to high tech planted tanks, then went to saltwater, then back to planted tanks, then back to saltwater but at a much more complicated level and then said to hell with it all and that I should have never left my sweet discus or lovely discus people. So, my plans are a 100ish gallon with wet dry filtration. Wilds of course, which leads to a question.. I'd assume that only discus origins imports wilds still and that they aren't H&K, also that no one does import? Guessing his are highest quality?

Discus-n00b
06-16-2013, 05:24 PM
John (Snook21) still brings them in to my knowledge. But yes I'd talk to Mark if I were you and see what he can get a hold of, when the season rolls around he can usually get very good quality wilds....not sure what he can get during the off season. Look around the fall/winter and you should see wilds start popping up more and more.

Welcome back. I'm about to venture back to reefs...though not at the expense of my discus! I'll always have some discus.

lipadj46
06-16-2013, 05:26 PM
+1 john brings in some nice wilds

sent from an undisclosed location using morse code

zchauvin
06-16-2013, 06:48 PM
John (Snook21) still brings them in to my knowledge. But yes I'd talk to Mark if I were you and see what he can get a hold of, when the season rolls around he can usually get very good quality wilds....not sure what he can get during the off season. Look around the fall/winter and you should see wilds start popping up more and more.

Welcome back. I'm about to venture back to reefs...though not at the expense of my discus! I'll always have some discus.

Don't do it man.... Just use the 2-3k you would invest on the reef on some high quality wilds straight from H&K ( sorry don't remember his name).

+1 john brings in some nice wilds

sent from an undisclosed location using morse code

Yeah, I purchased my tefe greens from John but I think the quality could be better.

Discus-n00b
06-16-2013, 07:23 PM
2-3k on a reef, no thanks! This is going to be a very easy Nano tank. Budget tank. I've acquired a skill lately called patience, where when I was in reefs before I never had. I'd go buy frags like they were candy, $50 here $50 there no big deal. Now? Lemme shop that $5-10 frag tank and let them grow in for 5 months! I'll be adding small frags and just letting the tank grow on its own. The most expensive part of the tank is a MP10....MP10 costs more than the tank itself and its a rimless low iron glass cube.

Hudson is the name for H&K. Mark brings in wilds from WBSabby these days, should look into those.....I think you will like what you are looking at. Their Selection line fish are outstanding. John has decent wilds, as seen by Pat being able to breed her greens who I believe were from John, but Pat also breeds her Cuipiea from Mark so maybe Pat just has the touch LOL.

Second Hand Pat
06-16-2013, 07:30 PM
Zack, these are my Tefe from John. I could not have been happier.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=78467&d=1364875861
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=78458&d=1364875411
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=78471&d=1364876133
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=78468&d=1364875901

zchauvin
06-17-2013, 01:43 PM
I suppose it just has a lot to do with the photography of the fish as well. Hudson's always look grand and other are only OK, IMO of course. I remember the ones you got pat and they are looking good as usual. I guess I will see what mark can bring in next wild season and swipe up a few.

Second Hand Pat
06-17-2013, 01:58 PM
Zach, it can take a year or more for wild fish to show their true potential especially when they are sub-adults. Good luck with your quest.

zchauvin
06-17-2013, 08:13 PM
What's sufficient for quarantine and breeding? I have a 38 gallon on hand,, Maybe two 29s?

ExReefer
06-18-2013, 11:41 AM
I left the discus world, but still browse Simply from time to time. I ventured into keeping Moba Gibberosa and various types of Tropheus. The Moba were beautiful, but boring. I sold off the Moba and now keep only Tropheus. I discovered that I enjoy the high activity of Tropheus. I also enjoy their social behavior. A school of 40+ Tropheus of the same type is an impressive sight. You should consider Tropheus. They are a nice challenge as well. They love water changes too!

troweler
06-21-2013, 04:31 PM
How do you keep the sand clean?

zchauvin
06-21-2013, 09:50 PM
How do you keep the sand clean?

Use a gravel vacuum

DiscusBR
06-21-2013, 10:30 PM
John sells good quality wilds for an affordable price. As Pat says, wilds might take several months or even years of good care to develop to their full potential. I don't know why you are so focused on H&K and Hudson, who is not currently exporting to the US. As Matt explained, Mark from Discus Origins gets his wilds from WB Sabby. They have wonderful wilds. I have visited WB Sabby's facility here in Brazil and I was very well impressed. And I got my 7 Cuipeuas from them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vW3prz_FtEY

zchauvin
06-21-2013, 11:07 PM
John sells good quality wilds for an affordable price. As Pat says, wilds might take several months or even years of good care to develop to their full potential. I don't know why you are so focused on H&K and Hudson, who is not currently exporting to the US. As Matt explained, Mark from Discus Origins gets his wilds from WB Sabby. They have wonderful wilds. I have visited WB Sabby's facility here in Brazil and I was very well impressed. And I got my 7 Cuipeuas from them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vW3prz_FtEY

When I had discus before trying sw, Hudson was the guy with nice wilds. Sorry

DiscusBR
06-21-2013, 11:17 PM
When I had discus before trying sw, Hudson was the guy with nice wilds. Sorry

No reason to be sorry, man :) We just trying to share some information.

zchauvin
06-22-2013, 12:05 AM
Well you said I was so concerned with Hudson or whatever lol, when I left mark had just become an importer and at that time I think he too was actually importing from Hudson. Either way I just want a group of reds to call my own so that I can breed them and have a part of nature that I would either wise not know of in my home. And I did not realize your fish, which are gorgeous as you know, have come from WB Sabby. That is great news especially being that they are the supplier to all of us in the USA.

Ryan
06-22-2013, 01:50 AM
Well you said I was so concerned with Hudson or whatever lol, when I left mark had just become an importer and at that time I think he too was actually importing from Hudson. Either way I just want a group of reds to call my own so that I can breed them and have a part of nature that I would either wise not know of in my home. And I did not realize your fish, which are gorgeous as you know, have come from WB Sabby. That is great news especially being that they are the supplier to all of us in the USA.

You may be in luck. Mark just posted a new list of wild discus tonight and there are three varieties of wild reds. http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?106916-New-Stock-list-6-22-13

Remember that newly imported wild fish will often have washed-out color and it could take weeks (or months) of tank acclimation and good food before they show their true potential. Lowering your pH/hardness doesn't hurt to make the colors of wild discus pop, either.