PDA

View Full Version : Recommend your favorite auto-feeder.

0Dgreen
06-17-2013, 01:57 PM
I want to add a few more feedings a day while i'm out at work, I'm looking for the "best bang for your buck" auto feeder. Looking for PERSONAL EXPERIENCE ONLY! thanks in advance for your input!

gersteven
06-17-2013, 02:09 PM
I have been using several Eheim auto feeders for the past year with great success. They are easy to program and work quite well.

Chicago Discus
06-17-2013, 02:17 PM
I want to add a few more feedings a day while i'm out at work, I'm looking for the "best bang for your buck" auto feeder. Looking for PERSONAL EXPERIENCE ONLY! thanks in advance for your input!

Ask jeff he uses them....Josie

DonMD
06-17-2013, 03:30 PM
I have been using several Eheim auto feeders for the past year with great success. They are easy to program and work quite well.

+1111. 4 of them for at least 4 years. Simple and reliable.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Bill63SG
06-17-2013, 08:33 PM
Eheim.Relativly idiot poof...uh...proof.

0Dgreen
06-17-2013, 09:33 PM
Thanks for the advice, got some of Bills flake on the way and 3 eheim auto feeders.

Bill63SG
06-18-2013, 06:24 AM
Never used them with flake,always a granule.

SejRamkas
07-01-2013, 05:58 PM
As far as bang for your buck goes you can't go wrong with this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-Digital-LCD-Auto-Automatic-Manual-Aquarium-Fish-Food-Feeder-Timer-/360675246101?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53f9eb8015

I have it and have been using it for over 6 months with no issues. It dispenses flakes and crushed up FDBW very well. It would be easy to overfeed if using pellets in combination with a flake or freeze dried food as the flakes are much smaller/heavier, and will fall out much easier than the other two. If you use pellets by themselves though the portion can be adjusted to work nicely. Feed 4x a day and can feed 1 or 2 portions per feeding.

timmy82
07-01-2013, 06:06 PM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-Digital-LCD-Auto-Automatic-Manual-Aquarium-Fish-Food-Feeder-Timer-/360675246101?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53f9eb8015

I have it and have been using it for over 6 months with no issues. It dispenses flakes and crushed up FDBW very well. It would be easy to overfeed if using pellets in combination with a flake or freeze dried food as the flakes are much smaller/heavier, and will fall out much easier than the other two. If you use pellets by themselves though the portion can be adjusted to work nicely. Feed 4x a day and can feed 1 or 2 portions per feeding.

I have used these too and find them ok for what you pay for them only had 2 crook ones out of 15. I only use granual feed out of them as at times the humidity is quiet high and nothing else would work.

lipadj46
07-01-2013, 06:21 PM
Thanks for the advice, got some of Bills flake on the way and 3 eheim auto feeders.

They don't work well with flakes especially bill's big flakes

sent from an undisclosed location using morse code

Discusdude7
07-05-2013, 01:32 PM
You might want to try crushing the flakes up. That's what I did

Cullymoto
09-20-2013, 08:45 PM
Anyone out there ever hear of an auto feeder that would handle liquids? My wife and I both work, and are raising a batch of fry. One of these days ill figure out how to do the journal thing and get it all posted but, they don't seem to take to the dry food and that's a problem.
I hatch bbs daily, feed and go to work. The wife wakes up a couple hours later, feeds and goes to work. 10 hours go by. We both get home at the same time to a tank full of hungry little fishes. Not good.
I have an eheim auto feeder, that goes off twice during the day. Inside it is a mixture of "first bites" from hikari, NLS small fry stable, nutrafin max baby fish formula, spirulina powder, and ground up FDBW. I figure that of all of that they should eat some of it! It seems not however.
If anyone knows of an auto feeder that I could stock with bbs every morning than hurray! My issues are resolved... Or perhaps of a way to get the fry interested in dry foods.
Mom and dad were removed just yesterday, they are 21 days free swimming. Roughly 80 of them in a 55 gallon. Daily 90% with re-mineralized r/o. Lights on 24/7. Kept @ 27 degrees c ( that's a hair over 80 f )
I'm a faily capable DIY-Eric also so if you have a good design, I'm all ears. Thanks for reading
Edited because my iPad is a terrible speller.

Bill63SG
09-20-2013, 09:53 PM
At 21 days,you can get by with a heavy morning feeding,and a heavy evening feeding when you get home.Supplement with a feeder using golden pearls or some small granual food like the .5mm sold on Ken's.

Magoo40
10-16-2013, 11:48 PM

Are you crushing the cubed FDBW, I tied the loose type but it chokes up the opening. When I tried crushing them it didn't seem to work to well created a lot of FDBW dust almost and the fish basically would not eat it.

DonMD
10-17-2013, 06:57 AM
It's very difficult to feed FDBW with an auto feeder. But I've used feeding cones successfully with loose worms. And if the worms are too big for the little fish, I use an old coffee grinder to grind them to a more manageable size, works great. Flakes are best with an auto feeder.

DiscusLoverJeff
10-17-2013, 11:36 AM
I am going on 3 years with all my Eheim Auto-Feeders. they work well for small flakes and pellets.

Just keep the unit away from an open area with a lot of water splash as the inside can get wet and clog the unit.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=4460