PDA

View Full Version : New Discus in the tank!!!

GrayLadyPat
06-24-2013, 01:12 PM
Ok, so I rescued a couple from a LFS that was relocating a couple of months ago...

Fresh out of QT and happily swimming in the big tank....

The "big one" is every bit of 6" from nose to base of the tail. The orange one is about 5" and is playing "hard to get" with the camera, so the best picture I got is with it hanging slightly off vertical, so he looks rather like a football, but is actually quite round. He/she also has a darker patch of orange on its side that it seems to have always had. Not sure what it is, but it doesn't seem to bother it.

Whether they are stunted or not the best specimens, I don't care. They are happy and healthy in the tank, and eating like horses.

I wanted to thank everyone for their help and advice over these last 7 or 8 months...without y'all, I am sure I would be back to raising bettas.

Oh...by the way... here's the pics:

http://i663.photobucket.com/albums/uu356/GrayLadyPat/DSCN0858_zps41266b05.jpg
http://i663.photobucket.com/albums/uu356/GrayLadyPat/DSCN0856_zpsb81cf6ef.jpg

camuth8
06-24-2013, 01:22 PM
Nice discus! Those don't look stunted. That blotch doesn't look like any disease or anything. Birthmark maybe?:confused: I'm surprised those came from a LFS. Usually they don't keep big discus and they don't usually keep them healthy either. These look great though! Good luck!

DiscusLoverJeff
06-24-2013, 03:07 PM
That was nice of you to rescue those guys. They good too.

Send all you unwanted discus to Pat's home for wayward and abandon discus. Lol.

lipadj46
06-24-2013, 03:15 PM
Congrats! I like the cobalt a lot!

GrayLadyPat
06-24-2013, 07:50 PM
Congrats! I like the cobalt a lot!

I like him too... I tend to think of him as male, because he has streamers on both top and bottom fins. He's also like a St. Barnard puppy... kind of big and lumbering, and verry silly, and he doesn't realize his size. He has a few little scuffs on him from wandering into places he shouldn't, but I think he's got it down now. Thankfully, those will heal.

The orange one seems to be addicted to Frozen Bloodworms, so the rest get other foods until we can get it off them.

Surprisingly, they never did act scared or disoriented when I put them in the big tank. You would have thought they were raised there. They come to the front looking for food, and I have to resist the urge to pet them :D

Cheers!

Discus-Hans
06-24-2013, 09:29 PM
First one looks like a Flachen to me! What store did you get them from?

Hans

GrayLadyPat
06-24-2013, 11:09 PM
Hans, I got them from my LFS here in Arkansas. They bought a tank full of large discus from a guy who couldn't take care of them any longer. There were a sum total of 9 or 10 of them altogether, but none so bright or big and beautiful as these two. The rest of them looked like Alenquers (sp) except for a suspected white diamond pair that were somewhat smallish at 4-5" or so.

I promise I will try to get better pictures of them.

Cheers!