PDA

View Full Version : new pair eating eggs

penangeruption
06-24-2013, 02:07 PM
Hi guys I have 2 pairs in a 5 x 2 x 2 tank one pair has just breed but over the first 24 hours they ate all the fertilised eggs leaving only the unfertilised fungal covered eggs. My question is in too parts are there any treatment people use when the infertile eggs start to grow fungus. Or do u leave them be all together. My second question is should I clean the cone and let them breed again this time putting some sort of a mesh net around the cone after they lay. I have read that young pairs usally do this but grow out of it. They have been garding the cone driving away the other pair so they seem like they might be good parents eventually.

trungnguyen
06-24-2013, 02:25 PM
new pair usually doesn't have enough experience, so they always eat the eggs at the first couple times. That happens to my pair too. They just laid eggs last night, and this is the third time. They ate all eggs before, so I hope this time could work out

rdiscus
06-24-2013, 02:27 PM
Some people use MB and Maroxy for fungus, I don't use anything ...

Have two pairs in same tank, sometime cause the other pair to eat their eggs, better have one pairs in their own tank
Yes mesh net cover the egg will help ...

penangeruption
06-25-2013, 12:30 AM
Should I let them breed another couple of times before moving them to help the bond strengthen between the pair.

timmy82
06-25-2013, 01:03 AM
That can work well if they young and you want to make sure they proven. As for meth blue and caging I don't do it if the eggs get too much fungus the male isn't doing his job too well or there is a lot of water movent or water hardness? I try to keep PH below 7 and not a great deal of circulation just ensure you have a well cycled sponge. It can take a while for them to not eat them but I have found it to be mostly occuring due to water conditions = TDS, PH, water movement & temp.