PDA

View Full Version : Seeded sponge filter from LFS for discus

hillbillyamber
06-24-2013, 10:52 PM
I am kinda freaking out I just did this. My LFS ,Pruess Pets sold me a sponge filter from their tank to cycle my future discus tank. Was that stupid? Could I bring stuff into my tank. I was not thinking. I should have just used on of my established tanks. Let me know there is still time. Its in the bag still. LOL.

JERRYKEVIN
06-24-2013, 11:02 PM
I wouldn't If I were you. Get some aqua pure balls from inland discus.

Falcon 900
06-24-2013, 11:18 PM
I was just in Pruess the other day. After seeing how BAD their discus looked, especially the ones that they were trying to pass off as Discuss Hans Discuss, I would just take that sponge and throw it right in the garbage!

dkeef
06-24-2013, 11:29 PM
Its not too late...lol

Second Hand Pat
06-24-2013, 11:39 PM
Return the sponge :D

hillbillyamber
06-24-2013, 11:46 PM
I was just in Pruess the other day. After seeing how BAD their discus looked, especially the ones that they were trying to pass off as Discuss Hans Discuss, I would just take that sponge and throw it right in the garbage!

You are so right!They looked terrible. Some stunted and dark. I don't know what I was thinking. I was going to buy it and seed it from my own tanks and my toddler was cranky and missed her nap. He suggested it when I told him I needed a sponge filter and I just said '' sure.'' After I left, my son super excited about his discus tank on the way home brought it up and then it hit me. We were almost home and I live an hour from there! UGH. I will have to order some from Amazon, no other store sells them near me. So I am a week out from setting it up. SO bummed.

hillbillyamber
06-24-2013, 11:48 PM
Oh, what are aqua pure balls?

John_Nicholson
06-25-2013, 09:40 AM
Personally I have never worried about cycling a bare bottom discus tank. If you are changing the proper amount of water they will do fine until your sponge filter cycles. I would throw the old sponge out, bleach the tank, clean it well, and start over.

-john

Wes
06-25-2013, 09:41 AM
Oh, what are aqua pure balls?

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?106792-Pure-Aquarium-Balls-Cycling-fishless

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?99490-Cycling-with-Pure-Aquarium-and-Pure-Pond-Balls

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?99022-Pure-Aquarium-Balls

lipadj46
06-25-2013, 09:52 AM
You are so right!They looked terrible. Some stunted and dark. I don't know what I was thinking. I was going to buy it and seed it from my own tanks and my toddler was cranky and missed her nap. He suggested it when I told him I needed a sponge filter and I just said '' sure.'' After I left, my son super excited about his discus tank on the way home brought it up and then it hit me. We were almost home and I live an hour from there! UGH. I will have to order some from Amazon, no other store sells them near me. So I am a week out from setting it up. SO bummed.

Order from kensfish