PDA

View Full Version : Do I need separate things for all tanks?

hillbillyamber
06-25-2013, 12:03 AM
Does each tank need its own nets, algae scrubbers, syphon hoses etc.? I am more concerned about syphon hoses. They are not cheap.

Rick S
06-25-2013, 07:44 AM
Only quarantine tank.

Wes
06-25-2013, 08:58 AM
If u have fish from different sources in thier own tanks, its a good idea.

John_Nicholson
06-25-2013, 09:06 AM
I normally run 24 tanks and I probably have 15 hoses. I put my nets in a bleach mix after use so those are always clean. If all the fish are healthy there is no need in it but it is an old habit of mine and it has saved me from major issues in the past.

-john

GrayLadyPat
06-25-2013, 09:39 AM
a note on siphons:

Unless you are using a siphoning device that uses your running tap water to drain your tank, there is a relatively easy DIY siphon...

I don't use a 3" diameter aqua-whatever commercial siphon. I use a 2' or more length of 2" diameter vinyl tubing from Home Depot, and then graduate it down to the 5/8" that connects to my garden hose, and then run it outside (and my flowers thank me.) I bought a squeeze-type bulb (like a gasoline can primer bulb) to facilitate starting the siphon. If part of it becomes unusable, it is easily replaced on the cheap. I have done this for years, and while it takes a bit longer to clean and vacuum, it works for me. I like the flexibility of the hose, as I can "bend" it to get under things that I could only swipe at or remove to clean before.

Just an idea from a long time aquarist, but short time discus keeper :D

John_Nicholson
06-25-2013, 09:42 AM
I use hose from lowes. I buy it in 10+ feet rolls and cut it to my needs. I normally stick a 18 inch piece of 3/4 PVC to the end of it. Makes it easy to use and cheap.

-john

kaceyo
06-25-2013, 02:15 PM
I use exactly what John just described. A piece of rigid pvc pipe on the end of a flex hose makes cleaning the bottom a breeze.