PDA

View Full Version : Questions on breeding pair

timmylucas
06-26-2013, 02:53 AM
at first I was thinking to just go to the store and pick out a couple discus with the patterns I like. A male and female But is the chance that they will actually mate high or would I have better luck just buying a breeding pair?

Or are discus really picky on their mates? cause I hear people say its easy to breed them and then I hear others that say its almost impossible to get a breeding pair.

This is the pair I was interested in.

But the female looks extremely thin.

They want 100 for both pairs plus a "dwarf" discus

I just dont know if it is a good deal. Does anyone think it is a good deal? Or should I pass this one up

http://s361.photobucket.com/user/LIL_WHOOPER_/library/Discus

http://s361.photobucket.com/user/LIL_WHOOPER_/slideshow/Discus

Trier20
06-26-2013, 03:30 AM
Dwarf discus....? Lol most likely a stunted discus. This person obviously is a salesman. If you look at the price of most breeding pairs people are selling they usually start at 250 for a not so great pair and go up from there. $100 for two pair plus the "dwarf" I'd be asking myself what's up with these fish. Personally I'd steer clear of these fish. Save up some cash and I'd you really want a pair for a fair price get one from Eric At Carolina Discus. HTH

timmylucas
06-26-2013, 03:59 AM
Dwarf discus....? Lol most likely a stunted discus. This person obviously is a salesman. If you look at the price of most breeding pairs people are selling they usually start at 250 for a not so great pair and go up from there. $100 for two pair plus the "dwarf" I'd be asking myself what's up with these fish. Personally I'd steer clear of these fish. Save up some cash and I'd you really want a pair for a fair price get one from Eric At Carolina Discus. HTH

Yeah lol thats why I put the quotations around it. I just dont like the idea of stunted discus. seems like alot of medical problems to me. But I just wanted to see other opinions on this just because I am new to this. Is it hard to get discus to pair off in your opinion?

Trier20
06-26-2013, 04:02 AM
It hasn't been a problem for me.

DiscusLoverJeff
06-26-2013, 06:19 AM
Buy 6 or 7 (from a sponser here) of the ones you like, grow them out and you will see how easy it is for them to start pairing off.

John_Nicholson
06-26-2013, 08:44 AM
LOL......The only part I am commenting on is the ease of getting pairs......It is not hard.....If someone can't get pairs then they do not need to be breeding discus anyway. The most natural thing for any healthy animal to do is breed.

-john