PDA

View Full Version : Newbie need suggestion

tamzor
06-29-2013, 04:19 AM
Hi, im the new kid on the block. i have a 100 gallon tank that i plan to put discus in that i already have a rock and driftwood setup. i was going to buy a bunch of discus that was 4+ for $60+ but saw on classified for some discus that was that was around 2.5inches. i was thinking i can save a couple bux by buying them and grow them to around 4+ in a 20gallon long then throw them into the 100gallon. heres the question should i throw them straight into the 100gallon with sand and driftwood and try to grow them out, or should i throw them in the 20gallon long barebottom and try to grow them out there? how many you think i can raise in the 20gallon at a time because i want atleast 10+?

Second Hand Pat
06-29-2013, 04:55 AM
Hi Tamzor, if you are serious about discus and want to be successful please sit down and read up on this site. If you did read up on this site you will see why several things you are about to do in your first post should be reconsidered. Welcome to simply.
Pat

Trier20
06-29-2013, 05:02 AM
+1 to Pat. With a 20 you could do 10+ 2.5" for maybe a month. It will get real crowded real quick assuming doing daily water changes and feeding appropriately. I would skip the classified discus and check into a sponsor on here or a local breeder on here. Poor quality fish can make this hobby get real expensive quickly.

tamzor
06-29-2013, 06:09 AM
i did my research and could not find any local breeder for discus in houston. did stop by houston aquarium warehouse, which is a sponser on this site but could not find the type of discus im looking for. im not playing to add all 10discus into the 20gallon right away. maybe 5 at a time or which every amount you seem fitted and grow each batch one by one. i know barebottom would be the easiest to grow these guys out in my 100gallon. but i already added the sand,set up the driftwood and rocks. im committed to the multple water change daily for these guys to grow up and properly grow.

tonytheboss1
06-29-2013, 06:31 PM
:bandana: Welcome. Both Pat & Brandon are spot on. There is so so much info just in the stickies alone. Take your time. As to your choices, I suggest you order SIX to start out from one of the sponsors here. I'm sure they all can find Houston. I'm partial to Hans but there are so many others all with quality discus. Your budget will dictate juvies or adults. "T"

Bill63SG
06-29-2013, 06:49 PM
Also consider the time and food spent raising up 2.5's,you dont really save that much money if you can afford 4".But the knowledge and experience growing them can help you in the long run.

Crunchy
07-03-2013, 10:57 PM
Also consider the time and food spent raising up 2.5's,you dont really save that much money if you can afford 4".But the knowledge and experience growing them can help you in the long run.

agreed, it's cheaper to buy bigger fish if you consider costs alone, especially if you had only 1 growout tank without the proper set up yet.

most of us do growouts for the hobby not to save money..

dkeef
07-04-2013, 11:04 AM
Way cheaper to buy adults. All food and water changes will cost way more than difference between juvies and adults.

tamzor
07-12-2013, 03:16 AM
I ended up not buying babyes, but found this post on craiglist.
http://houston.craigslist.org/for/3927432002.html
im not the type of guy to mix huge different color variation like this guy did. but 6 for 75$ is pretty darn cheap. the one thing i do want to know is what kind of discus does this look like and do they seem healthy at all, if something look unusual please let me know. thanks fellas

Crunchy
07-20-2013, 08:59 PM
I ended up not buying babyes, but found this post on craiglist.
im not the type of guy to mix huge different color variation like this guy did. but 6 for 75$ is pretty darn cheap. the one thing i do want to know is what kind of discus does this look like and do they seem healthy at all, if something look unusual please let me know. thanks fellas

No i would avoid. They look very thin and dark. Very sickly. You will spend more money on meds if you got them, or even worse lose part or all of $75. Fish are not like electronics, they can actually die and cannot be repaired ever. Get good quality discus from breeders for sure.

Jnotjane
07-20-2013, 09:08 PM
[QUOTE=tamzor;1013404]I ended up not buying babyes, but found this post on craiglist.
im not the type of guy to mix huge different color variation like this guy did. but 6 for 75$ is pretty darn cheap. the one thing i do want to know is what kind of discus does this look like and do they seem healthy at all, if something look unusual please let me know. thanks fellas[/QUOTE}

6 for $75? The link that pulls up says 6" for $65 each. Not a good deal. And they look stunted. For that price, you can get very good fish from any of the listed sponsors.

du3ce
07-20-2013, 09:18 PM
they all look pretty good except that pb he does look pretty thin/sick

White Worm
07-20-2013, 11:44 PM
By the sounds of it, you need a new plan and to do a lot more research here.