PDA

View Full Version : Which way should I go now?

Sandy Clay
06-30-2013, 06:16 PM
I have 2 Discus that have never really grown much compared to the other two. I know, they are runts but, I still like them. I noticed the one in particular that has had whitish poop several times. I don't know if it is "all" the time. I treated the whole tank with Metro and PraziPro. I have still noticed this one having the white poop. It is squiggly and whitish yellow colored. Should I try treating some food with Metro? I feed them Tetra Bits, Discus Flake and frozen Blood Worms. I have noticed the fish eat each others poop, so, that is why I treated the whole tank. There are 5 in a 75 gallon tank, with 5 Cories and a Ram. Thoughts?

Sandy Clay
07-02-2013, 12:17 PM
I noticed the one yesterday had normal poop....then later it was whitish again. Anyone?

PP_GBR
07-02-2013, 12:32 PM
Sandy

Feed them with metro flakes for 2X/day for 6 days, no other food. HTH.

Sandy Clay
07-02-2013, 12:41 PM
Great! I have those! I will try that. I soaked some blood worms in Piperzine and was going to try that.

Skip
07-02-2013, 03:04 PM
cull them.. you are going to spend a lot of money treating them in a 75g.. or go to petco and $1 per gallon tank to treat

Sandy Clay
07-02-2013, 03:33 PM
Cull????? I don't think I can do that.....let me think about it for awhile....

Skip
07-02-2013, 03:38 PM
Cull????? I don't think I can do that.....let me think about it for awhile....

i also said.. get a smaller tank to treat them.. it will be alot cheaper.. metro should be for several days..

Sandy Clay
07-02-2013, 04:04 PM
I have already treated them for a week, that's why I was wondering if something else should be used. I do have a 10 gallon in the basement, but, I don't have it set up.

Skip
07-02-2013, 04:24 PM
I have already treated them for a week, that's why I was wondering if something else should be used. I do have a 10 gallon in the basement, but, I don't have it set up.

10g just needs to be barebottom.. you probably don't even need a filter.. since you will probably be doing water changes..

where did you get your metro from?? what brand?

jimg
07-03-2013, 06:07 AM
you need to treat the entire tank. not just hospital tank.metro 1/4 tsp per 20 for at least 2 weeks temp 88+ then piperazine soaked into some freeze dried food that they eat and in water as per directions. it most likely damaged intestines (granulomas) but if you want to TRY this will be your best shot.

Sandy Clay
07-03-2013, 11:22 AM
Thanks Jim. I did treat them for one week. I will start another treatment...does it hurt to feed them the Metro food at the same time. I ordered it online from one of these places listed on here...sorry don't remember the name.

jimg
07-03-2013, 07:51 PM
I would only treat 1 type med at a time. if the fish were not stunted and high quality i would do the metro along with oxytetracycline, but see how this goes first. you can also continue the metro for 3 weeks if you see improvement. a majority of discus with white feces never recover so don't go crazy with it but make sure the main tank gets at least a week of treatments.

Sandy Clay
07-05-2013, 04:44 PM
Ok , thanks!