PDA

View Full Version : Strange Acting Adult Discus

LJC123
07-06-2013, 09:18 PM
So, I had recently asked about adding new Discus to a tank with one adult Red Turq (6") and received some good advice to get the biggest size I could afford. Soon after, though, I found an ad on Craigslist for 3 Discus that needed a new home, cheap. The conditions they were in were atrocious, but I bought them anyway to save them from their dark, dirty, smelly swamp. They were a 3" and a 2" Red Turq along with a Melon of similar size. The larger RT's dorsal fins were shredded and I thought it was because they had been in with a Fakah Puffer, but after watching them in their new tank (one of mine), I quickly discovered that the Melon was quite viscous. He chased and bit the 3" "Blue" relentlessly, and the 2" just never came out of hiding. So, I traded him in at my LFS, and after a bit of QT, added the other two to my big guy's tank.
Now, they are much, much smaller than "Turq", so I was still worried about some bullying, but Turq was just so happy to see another Discus that he raced to them and after some circling, accepted them as his long-lost friends.
Then, sadly, I started noticing that the 3" was picking on the 2" just as badly as the Melon had him. Frustrated, I decided to go the whole "6 Discus" route after all and ran out and purchased 3 more babies, to spread the fighting around and hopefully have more survivors. After every care was taken, I joined them all together yesterday. Everything went beautifully! Turq loved them and the first 2" now has buddies so he has come out of hiding, and since there are now 4 2" guys, Blue has given up bullying and decided to go back to hanging with Turq.
I was so excited to wake their tank up this morning, thinking I’d see my big, beautiful Turq swimming along peacefully, little buddies all around him. But, that’s just not the case. Turq is now hiding himself in one corner of the aquarium and only comes out to eat. He's even rejecting Blue's company. I don’t get it. I did everything right. I just wanted a happy little family for my lonely Turq, but now I have 5 little Discus swimming happily around the tank, in and out of plants and wood, with my Turq way up in his corner, his back to them! It's like he's pouting!
I'm at a loss...any words of wisdom for a worried fish-mom?

mmorris
07-06-2013, 09:38 PM
... after a bit of QT,...After every care was taken, I joined them all together yesterday.

How long were the quarantines?

Skip
07-06-2013, 11:34 PM
Too many new fish.. no qt..

Now u will some problems

Discus-Hans
07-06-2013, 11:49 PM
how is the slime coat of the red turquoise, do you see the slime coming "loose" spider web looking??

Where did you buy the group of babies?

Can you post a picture?

Hans