PDA

View Full Version : RO/DI and Prime

Nu2Discus
07-09-2013, 03:47 PM
I'm just starting to look into RO/DI systems and the benefits of using one. From what I understand the regular RO/DI systems remove chlorine, but they also have systems that remove chloramines as well. I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with the systems that remove chloramines. Do they work well, is the upkeep and replacement prohibitive? Also if you use the RO/DI systems, do you then not use any prime at all anymore, or do you still use some?

Thanks in advance.

DiscusLoverJeff
07-09-2013, 04:21 PM
I do not add prime to my RO water, only tap. I do however add RO Right to bring back minerals lost.

Nu2Discus
07-09-2013, 04:31 PM
Hi Jeff thanks for the reply.

So you add RO Right for the lost minerals as well as some tap water back into your mix that you use for water changes. But you don't add any prime to the tap water that you're adding back in? You're not worried about the chlorine/chloramines in the tap water?

Trier20
07-09-2013, 06:12 PM
Hi Jeff thanks for the reply.

So you add RO Right for the lost minerals as well as some tap water back into your mix that you use for water changes. But you don't add any prime to the tap water that you're adding back in? You're not worried about the chlorine/chloramines in the tap water?

No, what he was saying is when he uses straight RO he uses RO right to put minerals back into the water. If he uses straight tap then he uses prime.

Nu2Discus
07-09-2013, 06:54 PM
Oh I see, I misunderstood that. Thank you.

Does anyone use the chloramine units? I'm interested to hear how quickly they need to be changed out.

DiscusLoverJeff
07-09-2013, 07:24 PM
No, what he was saying is when he uses straight RO he uses RO right to put minerals back into the water. If he uses straight tap then he uses prime.

What he said, Lol.

Nu2Discus
07-09-2013, 08:44 PM
Lol, thanks for the response. I'm in the process of doing my homework and learning what I need to get. So I'll probably ask a lot of stupid questions before I have it all worked out.

Trier20
07-09-2013, 10:11 PM
Lol, thanks for the response. I'm in the process of doing my homework and learning what I need to get. So I'll probably ask a lot of stupid questions before I have it all worked out.

Better to get it as close to perfect the first time than learning by killing a bunch of fish