PDA

View Full Version : deciding to go with a Controller to maintain PH

AngryBird
07-10-2013, 11:50 AM
I am looking to buy Milwaukee MC122 pH Controller and then hook up the co2 setup. I wonder if anyone uses this controller and if they have any feedback. Please suggest if you have any experience with a better controller. I don't mind spending extra $ but I don't want components that I will not be using. I have a thermal filter so I am not worried about controlling the heat.

dr.nick73
07-10-2013, 12:07 PM
I am looking to buy Milwaukee MC122 pH Controller and then hook up the co2 setup. I wonder if anyone uses this controller and if they have any feedback. Please suggest if you have any experience with a better controller. I don't mind spending extra $ but I don't want components that I will not be using. I have a thermal filter so I am not worried about controlling the heat.

I'm using the same set up you are thinking about on my 210g tank it works great just calibrate the ph probe set the ph you want and it does the rest... my tank ph was fluctuating between 7.6 and 6.8 all the time now it's a constant 7.0. fish seem a lot happier too

AngryBird
07-10-2013, 09:58 PM
Thanks nick for the response

Whiskey
07-18-2013, 12:08 AM
I tried this a couple times with my fresh water planted tanks, my finding was that the PH probe goes out of calibration so quickly that it ends up being more of a hazzard than a help. I could see having one as a safety net, like program a reef controller to kill the CO2 if ph ever goes below a set point, but I had a heck of a time keeping it in close enough range to be useful for level setting.

On the other side of the spectrum they worked fantastic for my CA reactor on my reef tank, but the window of acceptable levels was far larger there.

I ended up simply setting a bubble rate on my CO2 that will keep the tank around 25ppm CO2 and then having the CO2 come on about an hour before lights on, and go out about 15 min before lights out. This has been supplying much more stable levels for me. Always remember, make tiny adjustments, observe for a day, make other tiny adjustments, small adjustments take a long time to register on a drop checker.

HTH,
Whiskey