PDA

View Full Version : 6 discus in a 20 gallon TEMPORARY

SejRamkas
07-10-2013, 12:46 PM
I am moving soon and I need somewhere to keep my fish while I move the tank. First a bit of background is needed:

I had to do this once already while I was setting up and cycling my new 75 gallon after my 55 gallon stand was destroyed in a flood (found it a good time to go a bit bigger). They were in the tank for roughly a week (used all old filters from 55 and most of the water so cycle time was minimized). In this week I had 1 come down with serious illness causing his death, and another became very ill but I was able to save him. After the week I moved them back (except obviously sick ones) to the large tank where I noticed other signs of illness in the others. Treated the whole tank and got the diseases under control as they were very mild cases.

Now for my question:

I am moving and will need to keep them in the 20 gallon again for the move. During the move I would like to sterilize the tank to ensure any left over bacteria and parasites are killed so the tank will need to be re-cycled. In doing so this will mean the fish will need to be in the 20 gallon for quite some time 2-4 weeks. Will this likely cause the diseases I saw the first time around due to the overcrowding? Discus are 4x ~4.5-5" discus and 2x ~3". I will be doing daily 100% WC during this time but I am still concerned about the size of the tank and overcrowding.

Anyone have any comments or suggestions on this?

lipadj46
07-10-2013, 12:51 PM
Not good, even with 3 complete water changes a day. I would suggest buying a large Rubbermaid tote (the original solid colored ones) instead. You can then use it for storage later, never can have enough storage totes

sent from an undisclosed location using morse code

SejRamkas
07-10-2013, 06:07 PM
I was afraid of that. After the nightmare I saw the last time I did this (had no other option) I wanted to get a few more opinions before doing it again. I guess I can get a rubbermaid container around 40 gals to put them in for the few weeks they will be out of the 75 gallon. Should I be cautious of anything with doing this bare bottom, 2 filters, and a heater with daily water changes? I will use the filter media from the 75 gallon once again to reduce the cycle time and set it up a week before moving the tank and of course check all parameters before moving them in.

REC
07-10-2013, 06:44 PM
I don't see an issue with it. Just feed once daily and do around a 75% water change everyday. Yes things will be cramped but either way their in a glass box and its only for a few weeks. I've seen vendors keep 12+ sub adults in 30 gallon tanks all the time. No one is crying foul play there. Just make sure you have plenty of aeration being pumped in. Also I don't believe your Discus having health issues had anything to do with overcrowding. Most Discus spend the better part of their lives in crowded environments and do just fine. Good luck.

SejRamkas
07-12-2013, 11:40 AM
Any other comments or suggestions on using the 20 gal?

AngryBird
07-12-2013, 12:00 PM
Please plan to change water an hour after you feed them to clean up the mess. Feed them less and keep the temp in the low end with no tank lighting. This is just my suggestion and of course others might disagree :)

JERRYKEVIN
07-12-2013, 12:09 PM
Use aqua pure aquarium balls from sponser- INLANDEMPIREDISCUS-- They work great!!

SejRamkas
07-12-2013, 12:14 PM
I was thinking 1 feeding a day and using a pellet or flake that is not as messy as beefheart I normally feed. Would definitely do daily almost 100% WC with aged water. For the health of the fish should I avoid doing this and use a large rubbermaid like suggested above, or is this possible to do without too much worry and risk?

troysdiiscus
07-12-2013, 01:39 PM
IMO and this is mine, I think that is way to crowed for that size tank. Even doing 100% WC daily and feeding only once a day is still alot of stress on the fish and they will produce alot of waste in a 24 hour period before the next change. If it were me and again this is me, I would NOT risk it for 2-4 weeks in that situation, I think you are asking for problems. I would go with the larger totes...again just my thoughts, wish you lots of luck....
I was thinking 1 feeding a day and using a pellet or flake that is not as messy as beefheart I normally feed. Would definitely do daily almost 100% WC with aged water. For the health of the fish should I avoid doing this and use a large rubbermaid like suggested above, or is this possible to do without too much worry and risk?

Crunchy
07-13-2013, 06:50 AM
problem with small tanks and overcrowding is that the fluctuation in water parameters can be high swinging, It's probably ok to cram 20 discus in a 60 gal like some breeders with 2 times daily water change, than 6 in a 20 gal.

tonytheboss1
07-14-2013, 07:27 PM
:bandana: Not enough water to support that amount of fish. Risk is far too great. 40/55g Rubbermaid will get you by till you can reset your 75g. Light to moderate feeding & large daily water changes & you should be fine. "T"

SejRamkas
07-16-2013, 01:19 PM
I didn't want to risk it so I shelled out the extra 50 bucks to get a 45 gallon rubbermade, second filter, and an airpump with 2 lines. I'll be running 2 30 gallon filters and 2 airstones with my heater, so I think there will be plenty of room and aeration for them during their stay in the makeshift tank until I can get the display up and running again. I would rather be safe than sorry.

lipadj46
07-16-2013, 01:30 PM
Good call, that bin will come in handy in the future if you ever need to change substrate or rescape, swap tanks, hospital or qt etc

sent from an undisclosed location using morse code

troysdiiscus
07-16-2013, 01:38 PM
+1 your fish will thank you!!!!!!! Like Don said it will come in handy down the road, you WILL use it again....good luck
I didn't want to risk it so I shelled out the extra 50 bucks to get a 45 gallon rubbermade, second filter, and an airpump with 2 lines. I'll be running 2 30 gallon filters and 2 airstones with my heater, so I think there will be plenty of room and aeration for them during their stay in the makeshift tank until I can get the display up and running again. I would rather be safe than sorry.

SejRamkas
07-17-2013, 01:27 PM
+1 your fish will thank you!!!!!!! Like Don said it will come in handy down the road, you WILL use it again....good luck

This was the justification I used to get the larger tote and extra filter/air pumps.... I think it will work out much better in the end by doing this and save me a lot of headache. I will let everyone know how the transfer goes.