PDA

View Full Version : Chicago to Detroit area recommended Discus LFS/Vendors for newbie ?

PattersM
07-11-2013, 01:38 PM
Hi,
I'm in look and learn mode with Discus at the momment. Could anyone recommend local fish stores or vendors in my local area. I live in Mattawan, MI (near Kalamazoo) and would be able to look in a sweep from Chicago to Detroit and occasionally go to Ohio (my daughters college is in northern Ohio)

Any help much appreciated,

Mike (Mattawan, MI)

MKD
07-11-2013, 01:57 PM
check out our sponsors.
Tara and Josie are in IL and not sure which close to you.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumdisplay.php?82-The-Marketplace

8ftbed
07-11-2013, 02:50 PM
+1 on the ChicagoDiscus. Even if you had to make a couple of trips to window shop, you would not be disappointed!

discuspaul
07-11-2013, 02:57 PM
Besides Chicago Discus (Josie), who is an excellent supplier of quality, healthy discus, another top-notch supplier is Mike Beals of Central Ohio Discus, in Galena, Ohio (near Columbus). He is also a very reputable sponsor here on SD. Not sure which one is closest to your location. Check it out.

hillbillyamber
07-11-2013, 03:43 PM
I am in Michigan also, Howell. Pruess Pets in Lansing is great. However, their prices are outrageous and their discus are said to be from Hans but lately have not been so good, and were being treated last I saw. I would not recommend you purchase fish from there. I am thinking after school starts I may make a trip to Chicago or Ohio myself to do a little shopping after we see how we do with our discus coming in tomorrow. I also just contacted an Aquarium in Ohio that says they have an Amazon exhibit with Discus. I think it might do us some good to do a little trip south and hit the aquarium and maybe Mike Beals. Josie I see has some knockout fish also. A guy name Carry Strong used to be in Sterling Height and dropped off the face of the planet so it seems. I do believe there is a gentleman on this forum who is a breeder near you. DO some searches. Hope all goes well.

PattersM
07-11-2013, 04:29 PM
Thanks for the prompt replies. I like Pruess Pets in Lansing but agree that the Discus I saw a couple of weeks ago were only so-so.. The Sterbei Cats, on the other hand, were great, I picked up six and have been very happy with them.

I'm in Chicago on Monday, so may be able to check that out and also look into a Columbus trip when my girls go to Ohio to ride the white knuckle rides (at think it's either Six Flags or Cedar point).

Cheers, Mike

Bill63SG
07-11-2013, 08:51 PM
I have juvies from time to time,like now,Im a local breeder,so usally 1,mabe two diferent types.,southwest 'burb of Chicago..You cant got wrong with Josie if in the Chicago area,especially for availibility and selection.

Keith Perkins
07-11-2013, 09:10 PM
Bill will do right by you, definitely PM him. He had some awesome BDs last I was there, maybe RTs too. He had some good beer too, lol.