PDA

View Full Version : Tank Size Advice

Nu2Discus
07-12-2013, 05:58 PM
Hi everyone! I am looking for advice on tank size.

I went to a few LFS in the area and saw two tanks that are possibilities. One is a 180 gallon (72LX18WX32H) and the other is a 135 gallon (72LX18WX24H). My first thought was to get the 180 gallon tank, but then on second thought, I started imaging how much water I'd have to change. I'm not really sure what to think right now. I'd love to hear everyone's perspective on tank size, and which one you'd go for.

Thanks in advance.
Rob

musicmarn1
07-12-2013, 06:25 PM
i am an absolute beginner to discus, my first year ! all going great so far - however, i WISH i could find 180 g or even 135 near me been looking for months, without spending over $1000 from lfs a couple of towns over even, so i just have to say if you CAN get bigger and its affordable , do it, do it now !!!!!

WC - i hear ya, but honestly either of those sizes would be heaven :) so congrats in advance

Hi everyone! I am looking for advice on tank size.

I went to a few LFS in the area and saw two tanks that are possibilities. One is a 180 gallon (72LX18WX32H) and the other is a 135 gallon (72LX18WX24H). My first thought was to get the 180 gallon tank, but then on second thought, I started imaging how much water I'd have to change. I'm not really sure what to think right now. I'd love to hear everyone's perspective on tank size, and which one you'd go for.

Thanks in advance.
Rob

troysdiiscus
07-12-2013, 06:39 PM
WC will depend on your stock levels, I am guessing if your going larger tank you are going to put adults in 4.5 inch and bigger or thats what you need to put in it. With good filteration you should not have to do huge WC's. I would go with the 180, I like the height of it and you can get more discus!!:D Give alot of thought on filteration that will be key.. Get it established and cycled and have tons of fun setting it up, thats the best part!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good luck

Elliots
07-12-2013, 06:47 PM
Water changes are not that bad if you have adult discus. Smaller changes less often than fry Discus. Consider on the 180 you probably cannot reach the bottom to clean or do anything due to 32" height. If it is bare bottom maybe less problem. If you place it somewhere where you do not have direct access to the rear glass you cannot clean that well either. BUT bigger is better!!

troysdiiscus
07-12-2013, 07:05 PM
I have a 110 gallon that height and yes it is alittle harder to reach the bottom, I have PFS sub. and I put in a 3D background so no cleaning the back:) But nothing like the height, love it and cleaning the bottom is not too bad, have to get a chair and I am 6'1" but only takes about 5 minutes to syphon the bottom so no big deal... go for it.....

Nu2Discus
07-12-2013, 07:22 PM
Thanks for the responses. Please keep them coming, I'm sure there's a lot to consider that I'm not thinking about right now.

Musicmarn1 - I know what you mean about availability. I lived up in the Vail area for a while. Talk about remote! Every time you needed something, the nearest store that had what you wanted was 110 miles away, in each direction, and you had to drive over 12000 ft mountains to get there.

Elliots - Yes I was thinking about the depth as well. I was wondering what that would do to lighting. I didn't think about cleaning the bottom, now that you mention it. LOL

Troysdiiscus - When I was looking at the tank, the extra height is what I liked as well. I see you are using PFS, I was thinking of doing that too. How do you like it overall? How deep of a bed did you go with? For filtration I think I'm going to go with a 55 gallon tank and make a sump, with a trickle tower and refugium, with miracle mud. Of course I'm still just doing my homework and planning things out. But so far that's what's running around in my head.

I appreciate all the advice I can get. Thanks a lot!

dkeef
07-12-2013, 07:58 PM
Get 180 but 6x2x2'. Way better than those two.

a volar
07-12-2013, 08:48 PM
My vote goes to 180 gallon (72LX18WX32H)

And for the cleaning there are magnets and long brush available

timmy82
07-12-2013, 09:54 PM
If that is all you have to pick from I would go the 72LX18WX24H as it still has the same surface area of the 32"H for oxygen absorbtion ect. Depanding on what you are doing with it the only benifit of the extra height would be viewing. I would more consider what Dkeef is saying a 6 x 2 x 2 or even 20"H is what I have for pairing my discus and is a good height.

Pat_K
07-12-2013, 11:02 PM
I too am new to discus. I am setting up a new 190 gallon, 60X24X30 tall, 3 sides starfire with a 40 gallon sump. I wanted the height. I have a question. What is a PFS sub?

Poco
07-12-2013, 11:38 PM
Get 180 but 6x2x2'. Way better than those two.

+1

24H is the max I would ever consider way easier to clean. No matter how many brushes magnets etc. there is nothing better than good old sponge in hand.

Second Hand Pat
07-12-2013, 11:48 PM
My first large tank was an acrylic 180 at 6x2x2 and I love this size. Now I have a 6x2x30 inch which is a 230 and it is harder to clean but the discus love the height.

a volar
07-13-2013, 12:45 AM
What is a PFS sub?

Pool filter sand substrate

Discusdude7
07-13-2013, 12:57 PM
180 gallon. Buy a python for easily waterchanges

Nu2Discus
07-13-2013, 06:47 PM
Second Hand Pat- Since you had the shorter tank, and now the taller tank, how do you feel about it. Is it a big difference as far as cleaning is concerned?

Another thought I had was about drilled tanks. Has anyone ever had their tank drilled, so they could have a drain for water changes. This way you attach a hose or pipe, turn the valve and drain away?

Second Hand Pat
07-13-2013, 06:56 PM
Nu2Discus,

You need to be a tall long armed man to reach the bottom of the tall tanks. I am a under 5 feet female and yes, it is a bit of a challenge cleaning requiring a special set of tools. So the 24 inch depth is way easier to clean and arrange wood. If I was during a planted tank no way would I do it in a tall tank.

Also of my seven tanks three are drilled and have sumps. I do not have a separate drain valve however.

Pat

AquaAnt
07-13-2013, 10:13 PM
Honestly...Nu2Discus...since both are rather funsized tanks my question to you is, how much work are you willing to do to keep your discus happy & healthy? Knowing its ONLY a 45 gallon difference...what would YOU like to do ;)

tonytheboss1
07-14-2013, 10:30 AM
:bandana: My choice would be the larger. Not much difference in W/C's. If you're short you might need a step or long handle for scrub maint. or aqua-scaping but IMHO more water is better. Your real concern should be adequate filtration. If drilled a sump would give you even more water to work with & a place to hide heaters & such. A couple of right sized premium canisters is another possibility. Take time to factor in the cost cause you DON'T wanna skimp on filtration. Good luck w/ your choice. "T"

Tazalanche
07-14-2013, 11:09 AM
Speaking of cost, before buying from a LFS, consider checking craigslist or local sales papers too. You might discover a 3-6 month old 250+ gallon (with stand, filtration, lights & all extras) for less than that new 135.

First glance in Nashville found these:
Complete 150 setup for $800 (http://nashville.craigslist.org/hsh/3934122426.html)
Complete 140 setup for $750 (http://nashville.craigslist.org/for/3930312704.html)
150 reef with sump setup for $400 (http://nashville.craigslist.org/for/3848759956.html) (no stand or hood)
5 months old 150 setup for $390 (http://nashville.craigslist.org/hsh/3921619345.html) (unsure on proper filtration, but mentions stand, lights, driftwood, etc...)
In the winter I've seen much bigger for less.
In Nashville, it seems a 125 is the sweet spot. They can be found for under $250 for a complete setup.... while someone else is asking $300 for a 30 gallon setup. ;)

Good luck in your search! :thumbsup:

Nu2Discus
07-14-2013, 04:34 PM
AquaAnt- yea I want a decent size tank, and I'm leaning toward the bigger one. It'll be nice to took at. But then I think about water changes, and I start wondering how I'd keep 90 gallons available for the daily changes. So that has me a bit concerned. But not out of question.

TonyTheBoss1- yea I'm thinking of doing a sump. I don't want all that clutter in the tank. I'll probably have it drilled before I have it delivered. Still thinking if I want it drilled on the back or bottom. I'm leaning toward the bottom. I'm still thinking of adding a separate hole just for draining the tank for daily water changes. I already bought a 55 gallon tank, petco is running a dollar per gallon sale. I'll either use it for my sump, or for a quarantine tank. Either way I'll need it so I got it. I'm planning a trickle tower part, a refugium part, and turning the tank over 10 times per hour, in that 55 gallon tank. Would that be ok, or am I off the mark. I love the planning, once you commit its too late. So I'm taking my time and love to hear different perspectives from people.

Tazalanche- the Craigslist idea is a good one, thanks. I've been looking but I've only seen smaller tanks, and they want too much money for them. You could buy them new for almost the same price. But I'll keep looking. You never know what might show up.

Thanks so much for all the great advice.

PattersM
07-14-2013, 07:08 PM
I'm also looking into my first discus as I'm coming off having a reef tank.

What are the benefits for discus keeping of a sump ?

For my reef tank I had the skimmer in there and wanted the large turnover for water movement but my undestanding is that discus like a MUCH calmer main tank turnover than the marine fish. Is it to grow plants, on a reverse day/night time to help with pH stabilisation, CO2 levels, nutrient export via plant growth etc. If the last point which plants would you go with, a fast grower like Cabomba ?

Mike

Crunchy
07-14-2013, 09:02 PM
I think for me 120 or 130 will be better, easier to maintain and more often. You will simply do more work on a 180 unless it's mostly automated. But of course if you willing to donthe extra bit, the bigger the better!