PDA

View Full Version : Pure pond balls vs. pure aquarium balls

Discusdude7
07-12-2013, 09:51 PM
Which one is a better bang for your buck?

lipadj46
07-12-2013, 10:13 PM
have you seen the pond bomb lol!

Skip
07-12-2013, 10:47 PM
The both work fine.. pond are black. . So some fish may try to eat them. . Aqua. Are clear.. hard to see..

Discusdude7
07-12-2013, 10:52 PM
Do they actually work??

Poco
07-12-2013, 11:28 PM
Yes they do work.

JERRYKEVIN
07-14-2013, 11:19 AM
Yes they work great. I would never be without them.

Chicago Discus
07-14-2013, 11:52 AM
The black ones are the ones we use in the hatchery you get more for your money as they are very concentrated. As far as starting a tank they work ok but you still need to do larger water changes so your bio-load can catch up. The only product that I feel can take fish the first day you get them with a non-cycled tank is Fritz Turbo Start.......Josie

Discusdude7
07-14-2013, 11:54 AM
The black ones are the ones we use in the hatchery you get more for your money as they are very concentrated. As far as starting a tank they work ok but you still need to do larger water changes so your bio-load can catch up. The only product that I feel can take fish the first day you get them with an non-cycled tank and is Fritz Turbo Start.......Josie

So I can't start a tank with them? If I did would the fish die?

Chicago Discus
07-14-2013, 12:04 PM
So I can't start a tank with them? If I did would the fish die?

Well what I would do if that’s all I had to work with is get some bio from another tanks filter and use that as your media along with the bio-balls and you shouldn’t have a problem. But as far as starting from scratch IMO you will run into issues with your parameters’ they won’t be stable. As far as maintaining the tank they work great but starting one they need some sort of waste to get started.....Josie

JERRYKEVIN
07-14-2013, 12:04 PM
Yes you can start a tank with them. Not the best way but you can do it. You should always have tank fully cycled before adding fish bit if you just can't wait it works. Stay on top of water changes and test water every day. Do not over feed and don't overstock. I'm assuming your talking about dropping fish in if not you need to feed ammonia

Discusdude7
07-15-2013, 11:43 PM
I put some in the tank and added 4 ppm of pure ammonia from ace hardware. How long till I can expect results?? It's been 9 hours so far and the ammonia hasn't gone down. What should i do!!??!

JERRYKEVIN
07-16-2013, 12:26 AM
How many did you put in? How big is your tank?? Don't do anything for now until you post answers

Chicago Discus
07-16-2013, 01:18 AM
I put some in the tank and added 4 ppm of pure ammonia from ace hardware. How long till I can expect results?? It's been 9 hours so far and the ammonia hasn't gone down. What should i do!!??!

Ok well I'm not a fan of starting tanks with ammonia so I'm not the best person to ask about this method maybe someone else can help you out.......Josie

Poco
07-16-2013, 08:32 AM

With pond balls and ammonia it will take a week to ten days to get it cycled. The main ingredient is patience don't expect miracles after 9hrs. Or your can ask Harry potter to do a magic trick :D

How many pond balls did you add to the tank?

lipadj46
07-16-2013, 08:56 AM
Didn't someone report a few weeks ago it took 15 minutes for 4ppm of ammonia to be turned to nitrates with these balls LOL!

I ordered some and will do some experimenting

sent from an undisclosed location using morse code

Discusdude7
07-16-2013, 09:11 AM
Didn't someone report a few weeks ago it took 15 minutes for 4ppm of ammonia to be turned to nitrates with these balls LOL!

I ordered some and will do some experimenting

sent from an undisclosed location using morse code

No way. That's bs

Discusdude7
07-16-2013, 09:12 AM
I used about 15

Discusdude7
07-16-2013, 11:52 PM
It seems like these aren't working for me :(.