PDA

View Full Version : Can't clean fry tank without killing them.

Milo2
07-15-2013, 10:33 AM
I have a 55 gal barebottom tank with 7 week old fry. For the last week everytime I put my hand in the tank the fry freak out and atleast one fry will hit the glass, knocking them selves out, then dead a few hours later. About the tank: 1year old. Food CBW. Vacuum, 80% water change before bed. Water is aged/heated in 55 gal drum for around 20-24 hours. PH 8 nitrates/nitrites/ammonia 0. Light on timer for 10 hours. 1 larger piece of driftwood. 1 young pleco. 2 Large sponge filter w/ lots of air. Temp 82. I started with around 45 fry, 7 went to cull. 10 plus dead from hitting the glass. Any help appreciated.

DiscusLoverJeff
07-15-2013, 10:45 AM
Thats a mighty big tank for 7 week old fry. I personally keep mine in with parents for 3 to 4 weeks or until the parents had enough of them, Lol. Then I move them into a 37 gal tank until 3" in size (well depending on how many fry).

You could get a piece of poret foam and make a divider in the tank. Then when you clean it, you can drain from the side of the tank with no fry. As far as cleaning the glass and the bottom, you should be able to do that with less damage to the fry and the smaller space might calm them down.

Milo2
07-15-2013, 05:06 PM
I will try that. Thank you so much for the good ideas.

Milo2
07-31-2013, 12:13 PM
Update: So it turned out to be when my water softner "regenerated" the following water change must have had to much sodium residue in the water. My bad. I have since switch to municipal 90% ro 10%. I also add 3 whole house filters for my aging tanks, 1 sediment and 2 carbon to remove chlorine and things are good now. But I am still going to divide the tank. If anyone see's any issues with this let me know thanks.

nc0gnet0
08-01-2013, 08:36 AM
If your using water that has been run threw a softener, make sure you using pure solar salt, with no rust inhibitor additives. Better yet, draw your water from a place before it hits the softener, a outside spicket should be such a place.

Rick

Milo2
08-01-2013, 12:00 PM
I tapped into the water line right before the water softener. So it should be just the same as hooking up to the spicket. Thanks again!!!

Jos
08-01-2013, 12:08 PM
Strange behavior.
I'm used to clean my tank every day with fry, taking out 90% of the water,cleaning the glass and all they do is picking my hand, no stress at all.
They are used to pick food out of my hand.

Milo2
02-08-2014, 01:48 AM
Just wanted to give an update on this thread. Since I posted this I have had 3 more batches of fry. Since discontinuing/bypassing water softener the fry have not had anymore issues when running straight aged tap water. Thanks SD.

Keith Perkins
02-08-2014, 09:35 AM
Glad things have straightened out for you. Speaking from experience, using "tap" water that's gone through a water softener can definitely create problems.