PDA

View Full Version : Discus Breeder Beginner

dillpickle
07-15-2013, 05:35 PM
Hi all!

I am quite new to discus, I have a BB divided 40 Gallon tank. I currently have 2 breeding pairs. My first pair and a Golden pigeon pair. (They are my avatar. My second pair is a Red Turquoise pair.

My Golden pigeon pair has spawned a total of 3 times now, and they are currently looking after some wrigglers. This is the first time I have got a good hatch rate as before I just let nature take its course and only ended up with 1-2 fry. This time I used methylene blue and it seems to have worked. They have been spawning 2-3 days after the last fry die.

My Red Turquoise pair spawned for their first time at the exact same time as the third spawn of my golden pigeon pair. I had almost a 100% hatch rate with these guys, but they ate the fry as soon as they became wrigglers.

I have been a guest on this site for awhile, but finally registered. I had a thread documenting my breeding here on a different site: http://diyfishkeepers.com/forum/showthread.php?9220-My-Discus-Spawned!

I have a tank full of meth blue and not sure how to get it all out. With my regular water changes the concentration has deminished but not disappeared completely. Should I just continue with my water changes?

If you have any tips on anything I am doing, let me know!

Eddie
07-15-2013, 08:33 PM
Hello and welcome. If you have pre-conditioned water set-up just keep changing water as normal. Are there no fry at the moment?

dillpickle
07-15-2013, 08:44 PM
Hello and welcome. If you have pre-conditioned water set-up just keep changing water as normal. Are there no fry at the moment?

Hi Eddie! I counted 32 fry from my Golden Pigeon pair an hour ago. I am using about 90%RO water with 10% aged and conditioned tap water

Eddie
07-15-2013, 09:02 PM
Hi Eddie! I counted 32 fry from my Golden Pigeon pair an hour ago. I am using about 90%RO water with 10% aged and conditioned tap water

Personally, I'd start moving to aged tap but thats just me. The MB will get removed via water changes.

dillpickle
07-15-2013, 09:18 PM
Personally, I'd start moving to aged tap but thats just me. The MB will get removed via water changes.

My ph in my tap water is 8.2 and sometimes 8.1. I only have a hardness test kit (looking for a good TDS meter) and my hardness is 140ppm. Suitable for breeding?

Eddie
07-15-2013, 09:21 PM
My ph in my tap water is 8.2 and sometimes 8.1. I only have a hardness test kit (looking for a good TDS meter) and my hardness is 140ppm. Suitable for breeding?

Not for breeding but for raising. Trying to breed/raise 2 pairs is in the same tank is going to be tricky.

dillpickle
07-15-2013, 09:28 PM
Not for breeding but for raising. Trying to breed/raise 2 pairs is in the same tank is going to be tricky.

After 2-3 weeks of feeding of parents I was planning to separate to grow out tanks.

Eddie
07-15-2013, 09:32 PM
After 2-3 weeks of feeding of parents I was planning to separate to grow out tanks.

Its a personal preference really. I prefer hard water to grow the fish out or at least water with the right compounds to support growth. Some people use RO that is conditioned with added nutrients to help support growth as well.

Carolina discus
07-16-2013, 12:37 AM
Great advice Eddie on raising fry and water parameters....based on my personal experience (just a humble observation) I have less defects like short gill covers in harder water...
again, just my personal experience :)

Eddie
07-16-2013, 05:14 PM
Great advice Eddie on raising fry and water parameters....based on my personal experience (just a humble observation) I have less defects like short gill covers in harder water...
again, just my personal experience :)

;)

dillpickle
07-17-2013, 12:49 PM
Well the fry went free swimming, and I couldn't find were they all went. I knew they were attracted to dark objects, so I checked all and found all the fry attached to my black sponge filter. I tried easing them off it but they wouldn't budge. after like half and hour got them all of and took out the sponge filter. I saw two fry go to the parents but they aren't there anymore. I dont know what to do:confused: SHould I put the sponge filter back in and let nature take its course? Or leave it out until they all find there parents?

dillpickle
07-18-2013, 06:05 PM
All fry are gone :(

Spawned again about 2 hours ago. If all of the eggs were fertilized do I still have to dose with my methylene blue?

kaceyo
07-18-2013, 06:09 PM
If all of the eggs were fertilized do I still have to dose with my methylene blue?

You won't know if they were fertilized for awhile so assume they were and use it.

dillpickle
07-18-2013, 06:20 PM
You won't know if they were fertilized for awhile so assume they were and use it.

Okay. What do you guys use for dosage? My bottle says 5mL per 10 US Gal. Last time I still had some eggs fungus even with the MB, do I dose twice? 1st day and 1st dose, then 2nd day and second dose?

dillpickle
07-19-2013, 11:44 AM
*Bump*

Anyone know if I need to dose the tank twice? DO the first dose with the first day with the eggs, then second dose with my second day with the eggs? Or do I just do one dose on the first day?

Trier20
07-19-2013, 12:31 PM
*Bump*

Anyone know if I need to dose the tank twice? DO the first dose with the first day with the eggs, then second dose with my second day with the eggs? Or do I just do one dose on the first day?

Take the cone out and use an eye dropper to drip a couple of drops over the eggs. I find this to be the easiest way

White Worm
07-19-2013, 12:59 PM
I covered by black sponge filter with white stocking material and lowered the water level for easier attachment. Some people do nothing and let nature run its course.

SHould I put the sponge filter back in and let nature take its course? Or leave it out until they all find there parents?

dillpickle
07-19-2013, 01:21 PM
I covered by black sponge filter with white stocking material and lowered the water level for easier attachment. Some people do nothing and let nature run its course.

Ya I think I will do that. I did lower the water level, but they were all so attacked to the dam black sponge. Hey, now when I need to clean the filter mechanacally I wont have to take the whole thing out, only the white material.

kaceyo
07-19-2013, 04:43 PM
You only need to dose the MB once. I'd leave them alone on the sponge and if the water is low enough they will be able to find each other. If the sponge becomes a problem remove it next time just before freeswimming. Once they are well attached, put it back. Keep it in a plastic bag so it doesn't dry out.

Eddie
07-19-2013, 04:59 PM
You only need to dose the MB once. I'd leave them alone on the sponge and if the water is low enough they will be able to find each other. If the sponge becomes a problem remove it next time just before freeswimming. Once they are well attached, put it back. Keep it in a plastic bag so it doesn't dry out.

I've done that in the past as well. I'd just add an airstone.

dillpickle
07-20-2013, 09:12 PM
Alright, eggs are hatching! I am leaving on vacation next week though, so I am not really sure if this batch is going to make it.

dillpickle
07-22-2013, 11:56 PM
Ok, the batch is on track to be free swimming this night or early tomorrow. Should I leave the lights on all night, or just let nature go her on way?

dillpickle
07-24-2013, 01:40 PM
Okay I have about 50 fry attached! Not sure if I am supposed to be, but I am leaving the light on 24/7.

White Worm
07-24-2013, 10:33 PM
I would leave the lights on all the time.