PDA

View Full Version : new tank

musicmarn1
07-15-2013, 07:17 PM
just checking, but i got super lucky and found a cheap 90g tank with eheim proff 2 canister and t5x4 light hood, heater and some extra goodies. it was a saltwater and super clean i still cleaned it with vinegar and then rinsed it in my community tank water whilst doing water changes, runnning the filter on community tank for a couple weeks to cycle that, BUT my question is i have four filters on the 55g the discus are in now, should be good just to run those in the 90g for a couple days then move the discus or is that horribly wrong? i actually have 5 filters if you count the aquaponics im running off their tank now, but i have a canister rena xl3 fluval c4 i think it is hob standard hob and 75g sponge filter and the plants in the aquaponic system, so if i move all that over will that be enough or should i still wait a few weeks? want to order new amazing discus and dont want to overcrowd the 55 figured they would all get along better if they all moved at once into their new home, most peaceful ones in first.

thanks in advance for setting me straight, thanks to this forum no discus lives have been lost by my first foray into keeping them ! hopefully the quality of those lives will continue to improve daily as i learn more and more, make my own home made food and culturing white worms now too as well as buying freeze dried blackworms from here. they dont like the amazing organic beefheart ( i used the rocky mountain discus recipie if anyone has feedback) very much at all but its a new food so im working on it.

;)

musicmarn1
07-15-2013, 07:18 PM
oh and sadly for me it will be barebottom since there are still some young discus and i feed them many times a day. They are about 3-4 inches i never wanted to stress them by measuring ! im not sure how i could later turn it into a fully planted tank which i love, i have 3 planted heavily tanks and would just love to do the 90 g with pool filter sand and lots of lush plants, but dont want to risk stunting them !

Eddie
07-15-2013, 07:51 PM
Should be good just to run those in the 90g for a couple days then move the discus or is that horribly wrong?

You can add fish to a brand new tank of any size and simply move the cycled filters over. If the bioload isn't sufficient to handle the stocking load, you will get a little mini cycle but nothing major. Just monitor parameters but I don't think you will have anything to worry about.

Eddie

musicmarn1
07-15-2013, 08:13 PM
you just made me the happiest woman alive !@ thank you Eddie :)

Should be good just to run those in the 90g for a couple days then move the discus or is that horribly wrong?

You can add fish to a brand new tank of any size and simply move the cycled filters over. If the bioload isn't sufficient to handle the stocking load, you will get a little mini cycle but nothing major. Just monitor parameters but I don't think you will have anything to worry about.

Eddie

Eddie
07-15-2013, 08:21 PM
you just made me the happiest woman alive !@ thank you Eddie :)

You are welcome. Glad I could help.