PDA

View Full Version : Distilled Water

les2011
07-16-2013, 05:19 PM
Is distilled water just as good as using RO water?

dillpickle
07-16-2013, 05:51 PM
I believe distilled is 0ppm dissolved solids and RO is generally <10ppm dissolved solids depending on the RO unit. So I would say it is just as good. Just my opinion;)

blueluv
07-16-2013, 07:12 PM
Is distilled water just as good as using RO water?

What are you planning on doing with distilled water? Are you breeding discus or just raising discus? If only raising discus and not breeding, then there's no need for ro or distilled. I've never heard of anyone using distilled water for discus. If in fact distilled water has a tds of zero,them you would have to reconstitute the distilled water.

abuckley75
07-16-2013, 07:16 PM
As stated RO and distilled are about the same. Most people end up using RO because buying gallons of distilled can get expensive fast. I only ever used distilled in my nano reef. Any tank big enough for discus would make distilled just not an option because of cost. Just doing a 50% water change 3x a week with distilled in a 55 gallon tank will cost you around $3000 a year and that assuming you can get it for $0.75 a gallon. This also does not include whatever you will be using to reconstitute that water. IE tap or RO right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

les2011
07-16-2013, 09:26 PM
I have a breeding pair of Rose Royalty's from Marion @ FL Discus in my 135 that I want to move over to a 20 gallon to see if I can keep the wrigglers they keep having alive. I have a gallon of distilled water that I was told it would be ok to mix half distilled with water from my 135 to keep the pair familiar with the water they came out of and that may help the eggs that are turning white to make it to wriggler stage. Because they have laid eggs several weeks in a row and some of the eggs turn white before I get wrigglers but the wrigglers never make it to free swimming or when they do they end up disappearing so I'm trying to better there chances and increase the amount of wrigglers I'm getting.

abuckley75
07-16-2013, 10:42 PM
I am no expert at breeding but if you are going to take a stab at it I would get an RO unit. It will pay for itself in no time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Second Hand Pat
07-16-2013, 11:35 PM
Hi les2011,

I would agree with getting an RO unit and play with an RO/tap mix targeting a GH of 4dGh and/or a TDS of about 80 to 100. This will soften your water allowing for a better hatch rate. Move your pair to the 20 starting with full tap and easing them into an RO/tap mix a little at a time. While you can mess with the distilled water buying it by the gallon would be cost prohibitive in the long run I do believe.

Pat

les2011
07-17-2013, 12:35 AM
I was only going with the distilled water to get them started this week before they lay again and from there decide if I was going to get an RO unit or just get water from my LFS, but the RO unit seems to be the best choice.

blueluv
07-17-2013, 12:46 AM
Good choice, go with the ro unit. :)

les2011
07-17-2013, 01:04 AM
Ok with the RO unit being the choice, where is the best place to buy one and how many gallons would be best.

blueluv
07-17-2013, 01:17 AM
http://thefilterguys.biz

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com

Just a couple of choices, theirs many others.