PDA

View Full Version : help if you can please

musicmarn1
07-17-2013, 12:51 PM
could be a few things but got one of my blue discus (red pearl) dark and hiding in rear of tank, did 30% wc last night

ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 20 ppm , 86 temp ph 7.6 well water tds is high in my water but until now had no issues/

i have aquaponic filter running with several plants, rena canister xl3 took the carbon out for the plants 2 weeks ago, peat granules in the fluval which seemed to make them noticibly more content when added, fluval is c4, large sponge filter, standard hob and daily water changes usually two small ones, 20-30%

feeding the black worms from this site, frozen bloodworms, hikari discus pellets, home made beefheart tiny amounts as they were not converts and wc after that feed its been a lot less lately i had sort of given up on it, so its not that im sure, hikari brine shrimp spirulina combos of frozen packets for variety, every now and then something differnt in flake form for interest. i do feed about 5 times a day mini meals and everything is gone afterwards, im leaning towards bullying at night or nitrate but wouldnt that affect more than him? the runt is like an inch big still and he is super happy so im stuck.

but there was some bullying going on i havent seen it lately and im by the tank a lot its where i work, but at night?

not eating his breakfast, not seeing any poop but all the poo on the bottom is black

je JUST lightened up 1 hour after turning light on, as im writing this but nope back in the corner he goes, darker again, looking around but not normal behavior for him.

and there, bullying, ok im going to have to move the two biggest fish (not measured them but close to 4" i think) into the planted tank that is ready for them was just waiting for grow out

i have a new order coming of kenny discus and ive never had an issue like this so its horrible timing ! but i think the bigger ones are picking on him at night, the ones coming are 2.5 - 3 ish and non of my other fish even the stunty runty discus i expected to rescue and watch die are all happy ! he is not gasping for air

i do have a lot of filters i could put him in a 20gallon alone with a spare heater and the sponge filter from main tank?

im working on the 90 gallon planted to be their next move but i could make that bare bottom cancel my plants for now and put everyone in that

just a bit stuck dont like seeing him unhappy and not eating, going to do a wc and wait for replies see how that lightens his mood or not, i can take off the aquaponics bed and add the carbon back in

sorry for the ramble, just going through the process

troysdiiscus
07-17-2013, 01:13 PM
I know you typed alot in this thread but if you do the disease questionare its more organized. How many fish do you have in the tank? How long have you had them? Is it a BB tank? What size is the tank?
anyway...I would increase your WC and there will be runts in a group and where nature puts them on the pecking order is up to the fish...

musicmarn1
07-17-2013, 03:16 PM
thank you for replying,

did one large water change and moved the bigger ones out, seems moving bullys was the key but ill watch for a few days and see what happens now.

its bare bottom, plants are aquaponics only, i have 6 fish but one is still only teeny tiny as when i bought the others at 2 inches they are now 3-4 inches had them two months no problems whatsoever so far

tank is 55g grow out tank, working on 90g planted tank for when they are grown and will have a bigger tank for when they are full sized.

makes me feel better about it but gosh its really hard watching one get picked on ! lucky to have multiple tanks set up, the bigger fish were just over 4" when i took them out so they are super happy to have their own 55 g

I know you typed alot in this thread but if you do the disease questionare its more organized. How many fish do you have in the tank? How long have you had them? Is it a BB tank? What size is the tank?
anyway...I would increase your WC and there will be runts in a group and where nature puts them on the pecking order is up to the fish...

troysdiiscus
07-17-2013, 03:21 PM
Ok glad to hear, I have a runt BD never really took off, got sick, nursed him back twice. Was going to cull but wife ahhh no way!!! He was on his last chance with me and he pulled out and now 3 months later all is good, not the best looking fish I have but he has his own character....good luck.....

musicmarn1
07-17-2013, 05:47 PM
aww they get under your skin dont they !? well your wife and i are on the same page :) i cant cull if he is eating and happy and playing,

Anyway GREAT NEWS ! ! moving the three 4-5" i measured one he was 4.5 i didnt realize they had gotten that big already, into their own 55g (dont worry 90 g next stop when they are a little bigger) was the best thing i could have done, my blue who came swimming into my hand the moment the big beasts were moved and followed me around the tank is now the right color no stripes no dark i hope this hasnt had a lasting effect i should have noticed sooner i feel sick like i could throw up literally. he seems so back to character now and he is my most affectionate fish (is that too silly for words he looks for me the most and comes into my hand) so he ate the moment they were gone and the three smallest are together the three largest are together hurrah.

the stunty runty rules them all though doesnt stress them but is very bossy and ruled the big ones no worries, ill post a picture of them they just moved so one of them looks a little bit worried the other two could care less it seems, just happy to have more room to themselves.

THANK YOU for being there :)