PDA

View Full Version : Filter recommendations

Syncopex2
07-19-2013, 07:24 AM
Hello,

New to the forum and looking for some advice. Currently runnning 2 Fluval G6 filters on a 75 gallon display tank for 2+ years and have had nothing but headaches. Have sent back to manufacturer a total of 3 times due to problems with the impellers and flow rate! Just cant seem to get them working right no matter what I try. Looking to get something more reliable perhaps the Eheim 2217 or Rena XP4. Anybody here have any suggestions?

DiscusBR
07-19-2013, 08:33 AM
Hello,

New to the forum and looking for some advice. Currently runnning 2 Fluval G6 filters on a 75 gallon display tank for 2+ years and have had nothing but headaches. Have sent back to manufacturer a total of 3 times due to problems with the impellers and flow rate! Just cant seem to get them working right no matter what I try. Looking to get something more reliable perhaps the Eheim 2217 or Rena XP4. Anybody here have any suggestions?

I have used a Eheim 2217 for more than 2 years in my 80g tank with no problems. I recommend it.

White Worm
07-19-2013, 10:20 AM
XP3 for years and I would recommend it.

Elliots
07-19-2013, 10:36 AM
I do not know whether canister filters work better than HOB filters but HOB filters are so much easier to use. I have never had one leak. They are easier to clean. I use AQ (Aqua Clear) with prefilter sponges. To clean the AQ filters the media comes right out in a cradle, couldn't be easier. They self prime. The biggest problem I have had is the impeller was stuck, I touched it and bingo, it started. I do not know if cost is an issue but HOB filters cost a fraction of what a canister costs. I have an Eheim I bought when I started my 150 gal but I never hooked it up.

CrazyAngels
07-19-2013, 12:35 PM
I do not know whether canister filters work better than HOB filters but HOB filters are so much easier to use. I have never had one leak. They are easier to clean. I use AQ (Aqua Clear) with prefilter sponges. To clean the AQ filters the media comes right out in a cradle, couldn't be easier. They self prime. The biggest problem I have had is the impeller was stuck, I touched it and bingo, it started. I do not know if cost is an issue but HOB filters cost a fraction of what a canister costs. I have an Eheim I bought when I started my 150 gal but I never hooked it up.

+1, AQ's with pre-filter sponges. I run 2 AQ 70 on my 75 and have crystal clear water with what many would consider an overloaded tank..

dillpickle
07-19-2013, 01:23 PM
I have used a Eheim 2217 for more than 2 years in my 80g tank with no problems. I recommend it.

I have had my eheim for awhile now and really like it. I have heard good things about the xp4 though too. If you want HOB I think AC is the bomb:bandana:

JERRYKEVIN
07-19-2013, 01:28 PM
I have 2 aqua clear 110s on my 75 gallon and love them. They are easy to service, They Keep the water crystal clear, And you have a lot of options as far as media to use. Canisters are just one big pain in the butt to service. Lot of people will tell you its to much flow but my fish love it

Crunchy
07-19-2013, 02:05 PM
Had bad experience with leaking on a eheim pro 3e. From some reviews the pro 3 models have a leak problem from the priming button. My eheim ecco300 works well so far though. I would recommend the fluval FX5 as is also very good workhorse. Perhaps the high tech g series and 3e models are just too high tech where more prone to problems. Simple filters like classic eheim and fluvals are tried and true and probably much more dependable.

I have also been using jebo filters with no problems so far, funny how it's 20% of the cost of a similar eheim pro 3 model. (i would reommend this as a second filter only, because I don't know how it will fare long term)

DonMD
07-19-2013, 02:12 PM
On my 125g display in the dining room, I use an Eheim 2026 and a 2028. One did develop a leak, but the company responded quickly and sent the replacement part without charge. I find them to be outstanding in quality, quietness, and ease of use. I clean them out about once every 6 months.

I also use AQ's on a breeding tank (except when fry are too small), and on a growout tank. They are easy to clean, but I find them a little noisy. But I'm happy with them in the fish basement . . . I also use sponges in those tanks.

Syncopex2
07-19-2013, 02:39 PM
I agree that these new high tech filters are more trouble than they're worth. I learned my lesson the hard way on that. I have been reading good things about the ehiems. Used to run HOB filters but were just too noisy compared to the canisters.

Elliots
07-19-2013, 02:49 PM
I have 3 AQ less than one year old and they make almost no noise. I cannot say anything about older filters nor can I say how long the ones I have will last. I have AQ110 and AQ 70 I think, if not an AQ 70 it is an AQ 60.

discusmat
07-19-2013, 02:57 PM
Amazon has the Flistar xpM on sale right now for $101 it's rated for 75gal
that is a steal and it's a great canister filter.
I run 2 of these on my 85gal and they are quiet and very easy to maintain.

decoy50
07-19-2013, 03:51 PM
I had a Rena XP3 for a year and had nothing but headaches! That thing would never prime itself w/o me messing with it for 20mins and it finally started to leak. $115 filter lasted one year. Aquaclear HOBs all the way. HOBs are less of a hassle to clean too.

Discusdude7
07-19-2013, 05:49 PM
[QUOTE=Elliots;1015027]I do not know whether canister filters work better than HOB filters but HOB filters are so much easier to use. I have never had one leak. They are easier to clean. I use AQ (Aqua Clear) with prefilter sponges. To clean the AQ filters the media comes right out in a cradle, couldn't be easier. They self prime.

Do the new AQ filters self prime?? Mine doesn't.

tonytheboss1
07-20-2013, 11:32 AM
I have 3 AQ less than one year old and they make almost no noise. I cannot say anything about older filters nor can I say how long the ones I have will last. I have AQ110 and AQ 70 I think, if not an AQ 70 it is an AQ 60.

:bandana: I've had my two Hagen A/C 500's (now 110's) for more than ten years. Broke the impeller on one & replaced it like the second year & that's it. Worked like a charm ever since on several different tanks over the years. Aqua Clears longevity & success is based on a simple basket design that allows you to customize your filter media to suit your needs. Tons of water movement. As for canisters, both Rena XP4 & Eheim 2075, although a bit more expensive, have served me well. They don't require maint. as often as the HOB. The combo have my water crystal clear. "T"

Elliots
07-20-2013, 11:59 AM
Discus dude, to get an AQ to self prime you need a high water level in your aquarium. I do and I have glass covers, some on SD do not have covers and I think they may keep a lower tank level to prevent fish loss from jumping. Then you have to have a high water level in your AQ tank. If mine is low I use a glass and fill it with TANK WATER (Do not use tap water!!!) Sometimes the intake is not seated correctly over the impeller. Check with your fingers to make sure it is correct. Then just plug it in!! These directions are longer than actually doing them!

Discusdude7
07-20-2013, 12:39 PM
Discus dude, to get an AQ to self prime you need a high water level in your aquarium. I do and I have glass covers, some on SD do not have covers and I think they may keep a lower tank level to prevent fish loss from jumping. Then you have to have a high water level in your AQ tank. If mine is low I use a glass and fill it with TANK WATER (Do not use tap water!!!) Sometimes the intake is not seated correctly over the impeller. Check with your fingers to make sure it is correct. Then just plug it in!! These directions are longer than actually doing them!

How old is your AQ?

Elliots
07-20-2013, 05:07 PM
My AQs are closing in on one year. If you have problems I think all parts are available from Kens Fish.

Baygon
07-22-2013, 05:20 PM
Currently using Fluval canister 306 for about a year. Didn't really like it either.

jsullins
07-23-2013, 03:02 AM
rena xp3 or aquaclear hob or both!

Discusdude7
07-27-2013, 02:51 PM
Fluval g6! Those must have cost a pretty penny

tonytheboss1
07-27-2013, 08:24 PM
Fluval g6! Those must have cost a pretty penny

:bandana: One of HAGEN's newer products. $350/400 depending on where you shop. "T"

Trubble
07-27-2013, 11:48 PM
We have an Eheim 2217 on our 135 display, 2215 on a 55 display and 2236 on a 54 corner tank. All of them run extremely quietly (I hear the air pumps, but never the canisters). We have had no flow or leak issues with any of them. They are easy to maintain. I would highly recommend any of them.

zukiGS500
07-28-2013, 04:13 PM
I've used an xp3 on my 75 gallon tank for over 4 years, no problems with it at all.

REC
07-31-2013, 01:49 PM
I'd recommend going with either of the two most popular power hob filters. AC110, Emperor 400. They have solid construction and are very easy to perform maintenance on. The major downfall for canister filters is the risk factor. If you have never had a hose pop off either on the top of the tank or entry of the canister you will eventually. What a mess and the risk of near draining your tank. Also they are a PITA to remove and clean the media which will be often with Discus since you don't want a lot of waste building up on your media being constantly cycled into your tank. Sponge filters do the job but are eye sores imo. Plus they take up valuable space in your aquarium. I have a pair of Emp400's on my 110g and love how not only the great job they do but how easy they are to maintain as well. I also run a 24w internal Uv sterilizer to achieve crystal clear water and keep the minor bacteria's in check. Again I'm against having big hoses coming in and out of my aquarium. Not worth the risk when you have a few grand in occupants. Goodluck in whatever you choose.

moon_knight1971
08-13-2013, 09:32 PM
I've also used AquaClear and Emperor but went exclusively with AC because it has a smaller "foot print" and is significantly quieter.

decoy50
08-14-2013, 03:18 PM
Another thing in ACs favor is the ease of getting sponge filters that fit over the intake tube. Emperors/marineland have that square intake cover that causes you to have to cut your own sponge - I'm lazy, I know it.

vendetta
08-14-2013, 05:42 PM
I don't know if in your country/city there is... but two year ago I changed a Fluval filter (the reason is it doesn't come with UV light) for a Boyu filter.

In Mexico Boyu is like the low cost brand.. but for me works very well.

Do any of you know Boyu?

farebox
08-14-2013, 06:57 PM
On my 125G display tank I run a Fluval FX5 for the last year and half...modified the intake,output, and connections tubing, no problems.
Also use "Josie's(Chicago Discus) K1 moving bed filters, my tank is crystal clear. All 12 discus,7german rams,17 rummynose's, and 5 sterbai's one happy family!

mastermamo
09-13-2013, 07:07 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/14/y8ajenub.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/14/bazezema.jpg

Get this. U won't regret it. King of Canisters.

Nimeni
09-13-2013, 07:33 PM
Get this. U won't regret it. King of Canisters.

I do not want to be rude... and I'm not saying my opinion.... I just ask you to read carefully the article and please: pay attention to details like: volume filtration, filter materials, energy consumption... ammonia consumption.... etc

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?68458-REVIEW-Fluval-FX5-vs-Eheim-Pro3-compared

And... my babies ;) (Eheim 2180)

http://plici.ro/thumbs/img2016.jpg (http://plici.ro/?v=img2016.jpg)

"Bonus"... each filter has included 500W heater (so: no visible cables, no more failure of heat or cracked heater at W.C.)

Or.... if you're really care your fish, you can use the Fluval G series, with monitoring conductivity and temperature.
http://plici.ro/thumbs/dsc071-1379114741.jpg (http://plici.ro/?v=dsc071-1379114741.jpg)

Flow to Fluval G6 is about the same as the Fluval FX....

anq812
09-15-2013, 05:13 PM
Hello,

Syncopex2, I'm not sure if you are still looking, but I have two tanks, around 75 gallons, and both of them are running the eheim 2217. One of them also has an old fluval 305 going as well, mainly because of the height of the tank and I also wanted a bit more filtration as that tank is fairly well stocked. I have no problems with the 2217. part of the reason I chose that was the power consumption is quite low, and the physical dimensions in terms of width are small, as I had space limitations under my tank.

Rudustin
09-15-2013, 10:27 PM
I have two 110/500 AC's on my 125 gallon. I also have two twenty gallon longs each with a AC 300. The two AC's 300 are over twenty years old and the only thing I have had to replace are the impellers a couple of times. So easy to clean, very reliable. Had canister filters several years ago. Too much work for me. Good luck deciding.

netlooose
09-16-2013, 12:50 AM
I have been running Eheim classic 2260 for a few months and very happy with it, very silent, solid build, massive flow even with media. If you do decide to go Eheim classic, just make sure u get the double tap valves for disconnection or you'd be pulling out your hair like me.

skie
01-29-2014, 05:36 AM
Ac's are nice. you can adjust flow rate and they leave room in the basket for you to add more media. Basically you can jack it up like a filter on steroids. Make sure to get prefilter. Fluvial edge prefilters is what I use. There small but real low profile. Good luck

SortSay2003
01-30-2014, 01:44 AM
Any thoughts or experience with the FX6? I am thinking about getting one from mostly positive reviews.

Please share your negative or positive experience with this...Thank you

myofibroblast
01-30-2014, 02:31 AM
Fluval G3 + AC 20 for 40 gallon QT/hospital, fluval G6 + AC 70 for 125g. They work fantastically. I like the G series because the maintenance is simple and you can interrupt the flow for feedings (and decrease flow on the AC HOBs).

RE conductivity meter on the G series: If your tap has a TDS around 40ppm like mine, the conductivity will not be the most accurate (CV > 10% when conductivity < 100 uS). Even at 84-86F, you'll top out at 80-90 uS with a TDS around 40-50, which means you can't really trust the conductivity reading at this low range. It is good for trending (e.g. You notice a big jump in uS...time to look for sources of organics) but not really useful as a TDS estimator. Don't get the G series for the conductivity monitor.

The thermometer readout on the G series is nice, and correlates well with the fluval E series heaters. I have read very good reviews on the FX6 as well....can't go wrong with either. Good luck with your decision!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mmdiscus1
01-31-2014, 05:00 AM
I have 100 gallon planted, currently have only one eheim 2217, but feel like i need to get another one just to be safe.. I looked at Fluval 406, fx5, fx6, tetratec 1200, aquael uni max 500, and eheim pro3 series.. I even downloaded fluval pdf manuals, and watched tons of youtube videos..

My conclusion- fluval has too many parts which u need to screw unscrew, etc. Eheim has clips and looks more solid to me. I didnt want to buy another eheim 2217, wanted to try another brand..but after what i saw online, i think i will be getting another Eheim, but this time pro3 series.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk