PDA

View Full Version : Starting out help

Swancici
07-20-2013, 09:47 PM
Hi there,

So I researched discus for 6 months about a year ago but decided to go for Africans instead. Now I will be getting 6-7 3-3.5inch discus and need some help as I forgot things:(.

I have a 55g with 2 filters aquaclear 110 and fluval 70. With one plant and 2 inch sand.

The ph is around 7.0

How much water changes per day? Also feeding?
Would 2 water changes and 2 feelings be enough a day?

I only plan to feed bloodworms and discus pellets. Plus left over cichlid food.

Is there anything else I need to know

White Worm
07-20-2013, 10:06 PM
Do yourself a favor and do some reading here on Simply and use the search bar. These answers are easy to find. Frequent large water changes and many feedings per day to start with.

blueluv
07-20-2013, 10:29 PM
Hi there,

I have a 55g with 2 filters aquaclear 110 and fluval 70. With one plant and 2 inch sand.
Filtration sounds good, except for fluval 70. I would add a sponge filter instead.

The ph is around 7.0
Ph is good, it's neutral

How much water changes per day?
For that size discus, 2 times a day.. until they reach 5".

Would 2 water changes and 2 feelings be enough a day?
NO! I do about 6 feedings and 2WCs a day

I only plan to feed bloodworms and discus pellets. Plus left over cichlid food.
Imo BWs as a seldom snack if any, I personally don't like BWs. You need more variety in their diet.
Is there anything else I need to know
Check out the beginners section of the forum. What you're asking are the very basics in discus keeping. I kind of just gave you the jest of things.

Swancici
07-20-2013, 10:53 PM
Not a newbie. I have read this sight many times ect just wanted to make sure I have everything right. And just forgot a couple things. Due to I have not been I here for almost a year.

Also can't do much research right now do to no Internet or computer using phone and don't want to rack up a huge bill.

Swancici
07-20-2013, 10:55 PM
I already have these this the fluval 70 and aquaclear. If I didn't I would go for a sponge.

Thanks

Trier20
07-20-2013, 10:58 PM
I would just run the AC and sponges for now and leave the tank BB while you grow them out. I would not feed blood worms as they will tend to lean towards them and it's hard to break them off of them. I would make a BH mix and feed them that. As far as WCs I would do 90% daily until they reach 5" or so and then you can cut back to 50% daily or until you decide they are large enough for you. Ph is fine as long as it doesn't have much swing to it. HTH

Swancici
07-20-2013, 11:10 PM
Can't do BH as I have no idea how to prepare and to Squamish lol. But I will be looking around for other food or things that have BH in it.

So 2 90% water changes a day and 6 feedings?
They only have 5g sponge filters and I can't buy any online right now what would be wrong with the fluval 70?
The both only have bio and the foam. Both been running for over a year plus I clean also changes the media a few times.

The sand will be staying. I know the benefits of having a bare bottom.

I am pretty sure I have everything down just needed to refresh my memory lol.

Trier20
07-20-2013, 11:53 PM
No prob! I have a recipe in my homesteader if you care to look at it. It's really not that bad to make and ends up smelling like a sweet meatloaf as crazy as that sounds lol

Swancici
07-21-2013, 12:12 AM
I will and maybe one day ill try it.

tonytheboss1
07-21-2013, 01:32 AM
Also can't do much research right now do to no Internet or computer using phone and don't want to rack up a huge bill.

:bandana: Sure you can. Just takes a bit more time & effort. Long before the internet there were BOOKS. Some of the books on Discus that I have acquired for my personal, are the greatest reference sources ever. I know my age is showing, lol lol but that's ok. Just don't overlook alternate information sources. "T"

Swancici
07-21-2013, 02:37 AM
One library no books on discus also one fish store that Carrys books but don't have any on discus and they only bring stuff in if there is more then one person asking for one. Also can't buy one on Internet. So really sucks being In a small town.

But yes books are awesome. Though I do like the Internet due to other opinions ect.

du3ce
07-21-2013, 10:10 AM
I have a 55g bb tank with a sunsun canister filter I do 10% everyday and 50% every other day, I feed them flakes frozen bw and diy frozen beefheart

Swancici
07-21-2013, 10:06 PM
Making sure I have everything right.

-55g 6 3-3.5 inch discus
-2-3 times water change at least 60%
-feeding 5-6 times small amounts.
- filter aquaclear 110 and possible sponge. Though I have a question could I just use the aquaclear untill I can get a sponge and how big of one? Or should I use the fluval c4?
- left over cichlid food plus another type of pellet I can't remember, blood worms and discus food I can find at lfs.
-airstone
- 1 inch of sand for bottom( cuz I like it)
- blue background simple but nice:)
-water conditoner I have aquarium salt.
-temp 84f
-ph 7.0

Is there anything else I need?

So what I have right now in my 55g is 14African cichlids and a pleco there all over a year old and very healthy. How would I go about switching and ect?
As I will be trading the cichlids/pleco for the discus.

Swancici
07-21-2013, 10:09 PM
My goal is to get them to at least 5.5inch

zchauvin
07-21-2013, 10:17 PM
Man, I'll help simplify and of course this is only in my experience.

First off lose the sand, trust me. For growing out fish you want bare bottom. I promise, you will have enough trouble siphoning all the crap and left overs with a bare bottom much less with sand. Feed them beefheart rather it be cubed, flakes, your own mix, it doesn't matter. It's cheap and has tons of nutrients for them. Then add in black worms, again it can be cubes flakes or whatever. Those will be your too biggest contributors to weight and size. Feed each one twice a day, the other two feedings can be some blood worms just for fun and then pellets or something. Feed them six times or more a day and do 80-90% wc at night after school or work or whatever. If you want a plant, put it into a sock of soil and in a pot. I don't even use a HOB but a lot do, two sponge filters... One sponge and a HOB whatever it's personal opinion. With water changes you don't need something to clean your water especially if your doing big ones... I highly suggest you don't use a canister. Been there done that and it sucks. You will have to clean it often because so much crap will get inside and sure you can use pre filter sponges but then you will be cleaning them daily and everytime you take them off and out a good bit of crap will go into the water so your where you started. Don't mess with your water at all since your raising domestics. It's fairly easy but you will quickly learn that when growing out discus and pretty much raising them all the way to the maximum point is really enjoyable if you like the fish. If your one that likes having a tank and not just the fish then it'll be rough. Forget the pretty sand and the fancy filtration and yata yata.... Feed the hell out of them and change as much water as possible daily for a year then enjoy seeing huge beautiful fish that you busted your butt for instead of looking at stunted fish.

Swancici
07-21-2013, 10:28 PM
Thanks for the info.

But I will be sticking to the sand and yes it can be trouble but I find it is worth it(trust me i know 14 4inch fish in a 55g is alot of work).As of right now unfortuanly it's a no go on the beef heart as my husband wont buy it but ill still try to convince him lol(maybe he think ill try to feed it to him haha) plus i dont think i could even prepare it squmish i dont eat much meat and black worms. As I can not find them here and can't order any online. Unless someone give them to me.

But I am sure there's food out there that has BH in it or other food I can try. I know my lfs has something's as the carry healthy discus.

camuth8
07-21-2013, 11:32 PM
Your LFS should have something that has BH in it. They're supposed to have food.:p

du3ce
07-21-2013, 11:44 PM
did I read this right? 14 discus in a 55?

Swancici
07-21-2013, 11:51 PM
No 14 African cichlids

Swancici
07-21-2013, 11:54 PM
Yup I know they should as last time I went they had a good selection of food but can't remember what brands.

Swancici
07-22-2013, 12:04 AM
Man, I'll help simplify and of course this is only in my experience.

First off lose the sand, trust me. For growing out fish you want bare bottom. I promise, you will have enough trouble siphoning all the crap and left overs with a bare bottom much less with sand. Feed them beefheart rather it be cubed, flakes, your own mix, it doesn't matter. It's cheap and has tons of nutrients for them. Then add in black worms, again it can be cubes flakes or whatever. Those will be your too biggest contributors to weight and size. Feed each one twice a day, the other two feedings can be some blood worms just for fun and then pellets or something. Feed them six times or more a day and do 80-90% wc at night after school or work or whatever. If you want a plant, put it into a sock of soil and in a pot. I don't even use a HOB but a lot do, two sponge filters... One sponge and a HOB whatever it's personal opinion. With water changes you don't need something to clean your water especially if your doing big ones... I highly suggest you don't use a canister. Been there done that and it sucks. You will have to clean it often because so much crap will get inside and sure you can use pre filter sponges but then you will be cleaning them daily and everytime you take them off and out a good bit of crap will go into the water so your where you started. Don't mess with your water at all since your raising domestics. It's fairly easy but you will quickly learn that when growing out discus and pretty much raising them all the way to the maximum point is really enjoyable if you like the fish. If your one that likes having a tank and not just the fish then it'll be rough. Forget the pretty sand and the fancy filtration and yata yata.... Feed the hell out of them and change as much water as possible daily for a year then enjoy seeing huge beautiful fish that you busted your butt for instead of looking at stunted fish.

I am pretty sure you can have very beautifully discus not stunted with sand it's not impossible just a little harder to maintain. Also for the filters it what I have in hand I do not want to buy anymore. As I hear the aquaclear 110 would be fine with the water changes plus it all cycled. If my lfs does carry a sponge I will get one and use it with the aq110 if they have one.
The only sponge filter I have is one for a 5g lol

But thanks for the info:)

aalbina
07-22-2013, 01:32 PM
Making sure I have everything right.

So what I have right now in my 55g is 14African cichlids and a pleco there all over a year old and very healthy. How would I go about switching and ect?
As I will be trading the cichlids/pleco for the discus.

I haven't seen this piece addressed yet so I will give you my opinion on it - for what it's worth. I would sell off the Africans or whatever means you have decided on to get them out of the tank. If you will be trading them for the discus - that's fine but before you put discus in that African tank - I would empty that tank, sanitize it and then start completely over. I would not re-use the filter media, and I would include the filters and all hoses every used with this tank in the sanitization process. This means that your biological filtration in your filter media will be of no use to your new tank and it will be completely uncycled. If the person from who you are getting the discus has some filter media - I would see if they will let you have some in order to seed your new tank But I would not use what you have been using for the Africans. The reason I would do this is to prevent any pathogens that are in your old tank from infecting the discus who may have never dealt with these pathogens before and who's immune system may not be able to fight them off. Also moving discus stresses them, as does a new environment and their immune system will be weaker for the fist 4-6 weeks in your 55g. You don't need to add to the prob elm by exposing them to potentially foreign pathogens that your Africans could fight with no problem. (Think of the native aboriginal tribes, who although very healthy, were killed off by the common cold when exposed to other cultures through exploration. Both populations were healthy - just not able to fight off the foreign pathogens to which they had never been exposed before...)

To sanitize I would empty and scrub with a diluted bleach solution every surface of the tank inside and out, I would throw away the media, and then clean all the filters and hoses with diluted bleach, and probably soak them submerged in the tank with diluted bleach for a few hours. Rinse everything down, refill, and treat with a dechlorinator - let it run for 48 hours and test for chlorine. Any residual chlorine will likely be gone in 48 hours. Of course with no cycled filter media - you will have to change water for 4-6 weeks like a madman and monitor your ammonia and nitrite levels like a hawk. Shouldn't be a problem if you are doing 2xa day water changes.

Good luck.

Adam

Swancici
07-23-2013, 01:42 AM
Thanks I shall do that.

Ok we'll I went to the store the only food brands they have is by hikari or omega one. The omega one the only have the marine with garlic (which looks like it be good) I already have the cichlid gold. They feed the discus only bloodworms and they will not eat anything else as she has tried. Is there a way to get them to eat other things?

I will be feeding beef heart but I also want to try the omega one and I already have the cichlid gold would that be a good diet? Please don't tell me other foods as this is what is only available to me. I asked her if she could get black worms but she said there to expensive ect.

Also removing the sand until there older (I was thinking for some odd reason that you where telling me I could never use the sand even when there older)

So excited ill be getting 2 blue turquoise, 2 red pigeon, 1 blue diamond, 1 blue snakeskin

aalbina
07-23-2013, 11:24 AM
Bloodworms are like crack to my discus - once they're use to them they won't eat anything else. It takes a while to get them off them - but they will eventually eat other foods. Others may have different methods but I would just starve them out of it - it worked for me. Discus can go weeks without food so there's no need to worry about them. For these new fish, I would probably feed them the bloodworms initially and some sinking pellet food that you have and siphon out whatever pellet food they won't eat at the end of the day. (I use marine 1 and 2 by ocean nutrition but any quality pellet is fine). I just leave pellet food in the tank if they don't eat it right away they pick on it throughout the day. With my water change schedule it never fouls the tank. The same may not be true for flakes.

Then after they are acclimated to their new surroundings - I would taper off the bloodworms over a course of a few weeks until they are only on pellet. Don't give in if they don't eat - they can go weeks with no food. Throw out the bloodworms and never look back - they will eat the other stuff - they are just stubborn. I feed Al's freeze dried black worms and they absolutely go nuts over them. (Check out AquaticSuppliers.com - it also happens to be run by the generous owner of this forum!). Al ships all over the world and they are very affordable. Bloodworms have relatively low nutritional value so I would be careful of fish that have only been fed bloodworms - they may not be that healthy.

Adam

camuth8
07-23-2013, 12:16 PM
Thanks I shall do that.

Ok we'll I went to the store the only food brands they have is by hikari or omega one. The omega one the only have the marine with garlic (which looks like it be good) I already have the cichlid gold. They feed the discus only bloodworms and they will not eat anything else as she has tried. Is there a way to get them to eat other things?

I will be feeding beef heart but I also want to try the omega one and I already have the cichlid gold would that be a good diet? Please don't tell me other foods as this is what is only available to me. I asked her if she could get black worms but she said there to expensive ect.

Also removing the sand until there older (I was thinking for some odd reason that you where telling me I could never use the sand even when there older)

So excited ill be getting 2 blue turquoise, 2 red pigeon, 1 blue diamond, 1 blue snakeskin

Yes, I've had trouble getting my discus to eat other foods after eating bloodworms, but once you're able to get them to eat other things, they're good. I have omega one flakes and my discus love it. I've heard the the Hikari is supposed to be good, too.:)

Swancici
07-24-2013, 01:06 AM
Thanks I shall do that.. I am pretty sure they eat the beef heart mix.

Another question could I just use the aqua clear 110? It will only have bio and a foam.(not to familiar with the lingo).

aalbina
07-24-2013, 11:57 AM
I've never used an aquaclear but it says it's rated for 60 - 110 Gallons with a flow rate of 500 gallons per hour which will turn over your tank water about 9 times per hour. That should be fine. I would probably drop a sponge filter in there as a backup. If the power goes out - you can run a sponge filter off of a battery pack for quite a while. You can't run an aquaclear unless you have a generator. By sponge filter I mean one that runs off of an air pump like this: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=23702&cmpid=03csegpl&ref=6111&subref=AA&CAWELAID=1059619494&catargetid=1570177168&cadevice=c&cagpspn=pla

Great for biological filtration and a good safety net. It will take some time for it it cycle.

Adam

Swancici
07-24-2013, 04:08 PM
They do not have that avalible here And can't order online.

aalbina
07-24-2013, 04:12 PM
OK - where are you located?

Adam

Swancici
07-25-2013, 01:02 AM
Canada, BC Powell river

Swancici
07-25-2013, 10:28 PM
So got my first 6 discus:)

The lady had the same filter as me aquaclear 110 that she used one the discus we just traded and it worked out fine:). Cleaned the tank and let the filter run for the day.

So this is my set up and daily work.

55 gallon (48x21x12) bare bottom. 2 water changes per day 75%. Aquaclear 110(foam, ammonia remover ad fluval bio max). Temp 85f. Works perfectly for me as the water is crystal clear:).

Feeding is 4-5 times daily. Omega one marine with garlic, tertra color granules, hikari cichlid gold, and bloodworms. They seem to be eatting very well.

Ph 6.6 not 7.0.
Ammonia 0 ppm
Nitrites 0 ppm
Nitrates I need to get a test for this.
Is there any other test I should get? I was thinking of getting the master kit as the test I have are getting old.

I use prime one cap full.

I used aquarium salt so it helps them settle in for the first few days.

Discus strains are and there all around 3-3.5inch

2 blue turqoise with strips
2 red pigeon blood cross with marloboro red.
1 blue scorpion
1 blue diamond

I am not good at telling if there good in shape but they look good to me.
http://s268.photobucket.com/albums/jj32/princessSKITTLES/?action=view&current=null-6.jpg
http://s268.photobucket.com/albums/jj32/princessSKITTLES/?action=view&current=null-5.jpg
http://s268.photobucket.com/albums/jj32/princessSKITTLES/?action=view&current=null-4.jpg
http://s268.photobucket.com/albums/jj32/princessSKITTLES/?action=view&current=null-3.jpg
http://s268.photobucket.com/albums/jj32/princessSKITTLES/?action=view&current=null-2.jpg

Discusdude7
07-25-2013, 10:44 PM
Can't see pics?

Swancici
07-25-2013, 11:43 PM
Hm weird.. I can click on the links and sends me straight to pictures.

Swancici
07-25-2013, 11:45 PM
Unfortunately I couldn't upload pictures on here due to them being to big and using phone don't know how to resize them

White Worm
07-25-2013, 11:56 PM
Sorry, going to be honest here but this is why many don't buy lfs discus. The quality just isn't there.

barkmanusd
07-26-2013, 01:53 AM
[QUOTE=Swancici;1016699]So got my first 6 discus:)

The lady............

Swancii, I really like the people on this site, most seem to be truly nice peole. But, somtimes 'nice' is actually a bad thing in the long run.
At the risk of sounding like a jerk and I really don't mean to...I think the you need some honest advice.
Initially, I thought you were pulling our leg and this was a prank. The asking of newbie questions but rejection of sound experience suggestions. Adament about a need for certain things but inability to get them... in Canada? Can't get basic discus foods at a LFS that sells discus or via Internet?, LFS doesn't carry & maybe can't order sponges...... etc. So many suggested not feeding Blood worms but i see that is a part of their diet....
Then to see the pics of the discus....... You can't have looked at 1 pic in the 'what not to buy thread'. Swacii, if serious, I would truly suggest you start at square one...with an open willing to learn mind. Again, not wanting to be mean but you are WAY too excited about having discus (any discus) and way too uninformed to responsibly own them.
If you are serious, relax and learn the hobby then give yourself a chance. (HINT: USE the sponsor list - they ship to Canada) Start with some decent juvies...those are awful. Sorry.

Swancici
07-26-2013, 02:18 AM
Hi there,

Thanks for your honestly.

Well ill give you mine. I really like the discus I have and I think they look fine to me and that's what counts. Also the pictures where kinda crapy. With some love and care there be MY ideal discus. I am not in it for breeding or show quality. Just for my family to view. I be just happy to get them 5 inch+ . Oh when I said bloodworms I meant beef heart.

no I was not pranking or not telling you the truth. Yes my lfs don't carry any discus food or a sponge. When I asked she just keeps saying how expensive there are and well didn't give me a answer. No I can not order online do not own a credit card or Paypal ect. Not everyone has that.

Also I am talking everyone's advice ect I am doing my best at it.

What is wrong with them anyways? Yes I have looked at the what not to buy and in person they look nothing like what I saw in some but I didn't go through all pages.

Thanks

a volar
07-26-2013, 04:15 AM
Hi there,

Thanks for your honestly.

Well ill give you mine. I really like the discus I have and I think they look fine to me and that's what counts. Also the pictures where kinda crapy. With some love and care there be MY ideal discus. I am not in it for breeding or show quality. Just for my family to view. I be just happy to get them 5 inch+ . Oh when I said bloodworms I meant beef heart.

no I was not pranking or not telling you the truth. Yes my lfs don't carry any discus food or a sponge. When I asked she just keeps saying how expensive there are and well didn't give me a answer. No I can not order online do not own a credit card or Paypal ect. Not everyone has that.

Also I am talking everyone's advice ect I am doing my best at it.

What is wrong with them anyways? Yes I have looked at the what not to buy and in person they look nothing like what I saw in some but I didn't go through all pages.

Thanks

Dear Swancici, I don't want to sound rude also but, it seems to me that you have a problem for every solution people give you……….. I don’t see a point in asking for advice if when people give you a good and honest advice you give answers like this one:
“Well ill give you mine. I really like the discus I have and I think they look fine to me and that's what counts”

JMHO

strawberryblonde
07-26-2013, 12:15 PM
So got my first 6 discus:)

The lady had the same filter as me aquaclear 110 that she used one the discus we just traded and it worked out fine:). Cleaned the tank and let the filter run for the day.

So this is my set up and daily work.

55 gallon (48x21x12) bare bottom. 2 water changes per day 75%. Aquaclear 110(foam, ammonia remover ad fluval bio max). Temp 85f. Works perfectly for me as the water is crystal clear:).

Feeding is 4-5 times daily. Omega one marine with garlic, tertra color granules, hikari cichlid gold, and bloodworms. They seem to be eatting very well.

Ph 6.6 not 7.0.
Ammonia 0 ppm
Nitrites 0 ppm
Nitrates I need to get a test for this.
Is there any other test I should get? I was thinking of getting the master kit as the test I have are getting old.

I use prime one cap full.

I used aquarium salt so it helps them settle in for the first few days.

Discus strains are and there all around 3-3.5inch

2 blue turqoise with strips
2 red pigeon blood cross with marloboro red.
1 blue scorpion
1 blue diamond

I am not good at telling if there good in shape but they look good to me.
http://s268.photobucket.com/albums/jj32/princessSKITTLES/?action=view¤t=null-6.jpg
http://s268.photobucket.com/albums/jj32/princessSKITTLES/?action=view¤t=null-5.jpg
http://s268.photobucket.com/albums/jj32/princessSKITTLES/?action=view¤t=null-4.jpg
http://s268.photobucket.com/albums/jj32/princessSKITTLES/?action=view¤t=null-3.jpg
http://s268.photobucket.com/albums/jj32/princessSKITTLES/?action=view¤t=null-2.jpg

Hi Swan,

Your water change and feeding routines are excellent. Keep that up for another 8 months and hopefully most of them will grow into large adults. They continue growing till they are about 2 years old, but you can reduce the water changes to once per day after they reach about 6" and also reduce feedings to 3 times per day at that point.

Hmmm, what else. You don't really need ammonia remover in your 110. Just fill the extra space with more foam block so you get more beneficial bacteria growth. =)

As far as the quality of the discus, the pigeon crosses look to be your best fish. They have very small eyes and fairly rounded bodies. The blue diamond(? might be the blue scorp - I'm lousy at identifying the blues) is quite stunted (large eyes, well colored, etc) and it's hard to tell what the blue scorpion (? blue diamond) is going to look like since he's obviously very young. He might round out nicely with lots of good food and water changes.

The turqs look a wee bit stunted to me, but again, it might just be the angle of the pictures that makes them look like their eyes are too large for their bodies. Hopefully that's the case and they continue to grow well for you.

Here's how to make purchases online without a credit card. Head over to PayPal and create an account, then associate your bank account with it. That will allow to make purchases through PayPal without the credit card, they just debit your bank instead. I use it a lot because I refuse to pay interest on credit cards. LOL

I believe that you can do the same thing with a google shopping account. They'll even issue you a mock credit card number to use on websites, but it still just debits your bank account when you make a purchase.

Good luck with your new babies! I've just added a new batch to my house too and it's a lot of fun to watch them grow!

du3ce
07-26-2013, 01:05 PM
only thing to do is feed and daily water changes no need to bash the guy

Swancici
07-26-2013, 04:57 PM
Dear Swancici, I don't want to sound rude also but, it seems to me that you have a problem for every solution people give you……….. I don’t see a point in asking for advice if when people give you a good and honest advice you give answers like this one:
“Well ill give you mine. I really like the discus I have and I think they look fine to me and that's what counts”

JMHO

Oh no I am taking advice you got that wrong. Just saying I like my discus and nothing wrong with that.

Swancici
07-26-2013, 05:07 PM
Hi Swan,

Your water change and feeding routines are excellent. Keep that up for another 8 months and hopefully most of them will grow into large adults. They continue growing till they are about 2 years old, but you can reduce the water changes to once per day after they reach about 6" and also reduce feedings to 3 times per day at that point.

Hmmm, what else. You don't really need ammonia remover in your 110. Just fill the extra space with more foam block so you get more beneficial bacteria growth. =)

As far as the quality of the discus, the pigeon crosses look to be your best fish. They have very small eyes and fairly rounded bodies. The blue diamond(? might be the blue scorp - I'm lousy at identifying the blues) is quite stunted (large eyes, well colored, etc) and it's hard to tell what the blue scorpion (? blue diamond) is going to look like since he's obviously very young. He might round out nicely with lots of good food and water changes.

The turqs look a wee bit stunted to me, but again, it might just be the angle of the pictures that makes them look like their eyes are too large for their bodies. Hopefully that's the case and they continue to grow well for you.

Here's how to make purchases online without a credit card. Head over to PayPal and create an account, then associate your bank account with it. That will allow to make purchases through PayPal without the credit card, they just debit your bank instead. I use it a lot because I refuse to pay interest on credit cards. LOL

I believe that you can do the same thing with a google shopping account. They'll even issue you a mock credit card number to use on websites, but it still just debits your bank account when you make a purchase.

Good luck with your new babies! I've just added a new batch to my house too and it's a lot of fun to watch them grow!

Thank you:) I am doing lots of water changes plus 5-6 feedings right now. To be honest The pictures are horrible. The only one I belive to be stunted is the scorpion (big eyes) the blue diamond is really nice looking I have no idea why they looked deformed in the pictures( I should of looked over them first). In a month ill take better pictures and with the right care hopefully people won't be saying take them back ect lol.

Swancici
07-26-2013, 05:09 PM
Thanks everyone for the helpful advice:).

Yes maybe my fish are ugly ducklings but I really like them and will do my best at taking care of them. So please no more bashing me.

aalbina
07-26-2013, 10:26 PM
Best of luck with them and congratulations! Welcome to. The madness!

If they are eating the food and the bloodworms - keep feeding them like you are. Once they've settled in, I would personally wean them off the bloodworms if you want good growth. Bloodworms don't have much protein and protein is what will give you growth.

Have fun!

Adam

White Worm
07-26-2013, 10:45 PM
Don't get discouraged. I don't think people are bashing you. People are just doing the best they can to give you some valuable advice. Sometimes it is good, sometimes it is not so good. Enjoying the hobby is the main thing and no one wants to see you visiting the sick and diseased section in the coming weeks / months. Many have tried it your way and failed but I'm sure some have done ok. It is important to start off with a quality product when you start any hobby. It can be expensive in the beginning but well worth it in the end. You will enjoy these discus for now but as your interest grows (and it will), you will then see that you desire something more than average.

Oh no I am taking advice you got that wrong. Just saying I like my discus and nothing wrong with that.

Swancici
07-27-2013, 01:56 AM

barkmanusd
07-27-2013, 03:36 AM
only thing to do is feed and daily water changes no need to bash the guy

Honesty isn't bashing. I would never have offered my opinion if hadn't asked....

Swancici
07-28-2013, 05:53 PM
Just a little updated.

There doing awesome eating lots. I already see them getting bigger.