PDA

View Full Version : Question on Aging water

REC
07-23-2013, 12:15 PM
So recently I've had an issue with 3 of the nine Adults discus I have in my display tank. The Albino came down with fin rot about 2 weeks ago. Shortly after that the two large spotted discus came down with some type of gill fungus(not fluke). The other 6 are perfectly fine with no issues. I treated the 3 in a separate tank with a 7 day treatment of Furan-2. They are all improving especially the albino in which most all of his tail has grown back. In the disease section of the forum many pointed the finger as this probably being a water(quality issue). I do 75% water changes every other day and add seachem prime at the recommended dosage. My nitrate's never break zero even after 2 days but I still do the large water change because so many here swear by it. So the next thing was the possibility of using straight from tap and not aging my water could be the cause. Basically saying the difference between the aged water in the tank and the tap could be putting stress on the fish causing the weaker gene line's (albino, spotted etc.) to more easily show symptoms. Here's the kicker though. When I test my water from Tap and from 2 days in the aquarium the results are identical. My tap is 0(nitrate), 0(nitrite), 0(chlorine) and a 7.2 Ph. The exact same numbers my 2 days aged water is from the aquarium. So is there any other reasons to age my water?

beef treats
07-23-2013, 01:34 PM
The only other thing I can think is temperature. Most people match their aged water temp with the temp in the tank, that may be shocking your fish? Not 100% on that though

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk 2

REC
07-23-2013, 01:39 PM
The only other thing I can think is temperature. Most people match their aged water temp with the temp in the tank, that may be shocking your fish? Not 100% on that though

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk 2

Maybe a few degrees but not enough to stress the fish to this point. I have a 75g water heater so I can replicate the temperature within a few degrees the entire water change. My display tank is 110g. If it is a little off I have a 300w Jager heater that will level things out rather quickly.

DiscusLoverJeff
07-23-2013, 01:43 PM
What size tank?
What type of filtration?
Do you have any sponge filters in the tank?
Are there other fish (dither fish) in the tank?
Is it planted?
Are you aerating your holding tank?
Is your holding tank the same temp as aquarium?

Lots of questions to answer to help give you a better explanation of your problem.

Thanks,

Jeff

zchauvin
07-23-2013, 01:44 PM
A lot of people have opinions based on what they heard from someone who heard from someone and so on. Try to age it and have it the same temperature..... Tbh though that's just another "could be". Let me say this... I had wild green discus in a tank that I did once weekly 50% wc in with a python straight from sink. The Tds was 440, ph above API test, and god knows the hardness, needless to say my fish were perfectly fine, ate all the time an acted normal. Now, I have four heckels and I age water and mix water and do this and that and do 80% every day and so on and guess what? They barely eat still after three weeks, barely come out, just completely opposite of the ones I had in water that most would frown upon.

REC
07-23-2013, 01:49 PM
What size tank?
What type of filtration?
Do you have any sponge filters in the tank?
Are there other fish (dither fish) in the tank?
Is it planted?
Are you aerating your holding tank?
Is your holding tank the same temp as aquarium?

Lots of questions to answer to help give you a better explanation of your problem.

Thanks,

Jeff

110g
2x Emperor 400 hob filters, 2 large rena400 pumps for air.
No
3x panda cories, 1 small common pleco
No, Barebottom
There is no holding tank. Going straight from Tap. I explained why in my original post.

zchauvin
07-23-2013, 01:55 PM
110g
2x Emperor 400 hob filters, 2 large rena400 pumps for air.
No
3x panda cories, 1 small common pleco
No, Barebottom
There is no holding tank. Going straight from Tap. I explained why in my original post.

Seems fine to me, the only thing is that the water could have different gh or something and possibly temperature, other than that all seems fine.

Oh and since someone may say this ill go ahead... The pleco could be trying to eat there slime coat at night. Use a bristle nose not regular or none. A paper towel and your hand will out do a pleco any day of the week. I'd actually put money on the pleco is stressing them by sucking on them or trying to

PP_GBR
07-23-2013, 02:01 PM
Rec

Do you use Emperor cartridges and media baskets?

REC
07-23-2013, 02:02 PM
Seems fine to me, the only thing is that the water could have different gh or something and possibly temperature, other than that all seems fine.

Oh and since someone may say this ill go ahead... The pleco could be trying to eat there slime coat at night. Use a bristle nose not regular or none. A paper towel and your hand will out do a pleco any day of the week. I'd actually put money on the pleco is stressing them by sucking on them or trying to

I would think if the Pleco was the issue then they would have lesions on their sides and I would see some aggression during the day which I have not. I had bristle's before but they weren't very good algae eaters. At least the 2 I had. My office has two large windows on both sides so without a pleco I'd have algae everywhere even with a Uv.

REC
07-23-2013, 02:05 PM
Rec

Do you use Emperor cartridges and media baskets?

Yes sir I do. You want to know about the Carbon they use I bet. I only use the ones with the blue cloth that is usually loaded with carbon. I simply cut a slit in the bottom of the blue cloth and empty out all the carbon and do a thorough rinsing. Then return them to the filter. I always loved using carbon before I started keeping discus. They really polished the water nicely but when I got into Discus it was frowned upon so I have never used it since.

PP_GBR
07-23-2013, 02:08 PM
What do you have in the media baskets? Do you have a powerhead in your tank?

troysdiiscus
07-23-2013, 02:44 PM
Here are my thoughts, you say you test the water 2 days after you have already put the water in your tank??? What you need to test is putting in a bucket (not in your tank) with air and check the reading after 24 hours before adding to your tank and if its true your tap has no trace of nitrates,nitrite and chlorine why do you use prime? Also you are on public water not well??? If so your saying your municpal water has 0 ammonia??? No chlorine or choramines??? humm...
So recently I've had an issue with 3 of the nine Adults discus I have in my display tank. The Albino came down with fin rot about 2 weeks ago. Shortly after that the two large spotted discus came down with some type of gill fungus(not fluke). The other 6 are perfectly fine with no issues. I treated the 3 in a separate tank with a 7 day treatment of Furan-2. They are all improving especially the albino in which most all of his tail has grown back. In the disease section of the forum many pointed the finger as this probably being a water(quality issue). I do 75% water changes every other day and add seachem prime at the recommended dosage. My nitrate's never break zero even after 2 days but I still do the large water change because so many here swear by it. So the next thing was the possibility of using straight from tap and not aging my water could be the cause. Basically saying the difference between the aged water in the tank and the tap could be putting stress on the fish causing the weaker gene line's (albino, spotted etc.) to more easily show symptoms. Here's the kicker though. When I test my water from Tap and from 2 days in the aquarium the results are identical. My tap is 0(nitrate), 0(nitrite), 0(chlorine) and a 7.2 Ph. The exact same numbers my 2 days aged water is from the aquarium. So is there any other reasons to age my water?

zchauvin
07-23-2013, 03:24 PM
He probably meant ammonia and he said from tap and two days after being in tank in other words he tested the parameters of his tank. Either way wether aging before or aging in tank through his air stones the water before and after still has same ph with 0 trates so it's not a matter of nitrification bringing down ph. It's the same tank and tap parameters no matter which way you go about it.

REC
07-23-2013, 03:25 PM
What do you have in the media baskets? Do you have a powerhead in your tank?
I use 2x of the blue cloth cartridges with the carbon removed in each filter. The media clearly isn't the issue considering my nitrite and nitrate stay at zero.

Here are my thoughts, you say you test the water 2 days after you have already put the water in your tank??? What you need to test is putting in a bucket (not in your tank) with air and check the reading after 24 hours before adding to your tank and if its true your tap has no trace of nitrates,nitrite and chlorine why do you use prime? Also you are on public water not well??? If so your saying your municpal water has 0 ammonia??? No chlorine or choramines??? humm...

As I said earlier I tested the water in a bucket straight out of Tap(public water) and both my digital and test strips show zero nitrite's, nitrate's, chlorine. I've raised some show stopping cichlids off this water over the years. Its excellent for the keeping fish. I still add Prime as I said earlier as a safeguard.

REC
07-23-2013, 03:28 PM
He probably meant ammonia and he said from tap and two days after being in tank in other words he tested the parameters of his tank. Either way wether aging before or aging in tank through his air stones the water before and after still has same ph with 0 trates so it's not a matter of nitrification bringing down ph. It's the same tank and tap parameters no matter which way you go about it.

Exactly. I'm starting to wonder if I have some linguring bacteria in this aquarium that these individual two spotted discus immune system will not tolerate.

zchauvin
07-23-2013, 03:30 PM
Exactly. I'm starting to wonder if I have some linguring bacteria in this aquarium that these individual two spotted discus immune system will not tolerate.

For the sake of the matter just put 5g of de chlorinated tap into a bucket and aerate for 24hrs and test the water. Test for ph, other than that I can't see what it would be. I think the culprit may be the pleco but that's me. I don't see that you are doing anything wrong.

DiscusLoverJeff
07-23-2013, 03:34 PM
For the sake of the matter just put 5g of de chlorinated tap into a bucket and aerate for 24hrs and test the water. Test for ph, other than that I can't see what it would be. I think the culprit may be the pleco but that's me. I don't see that you are doing anything wrong.

+1 to the water testing.

troysdiiscus
07-23-2013, 03:37 PM
that was my point exactly. I wish I had that quality of water where I live. Good luck...

REC
07-23-2013, 03:48 PM

What exactly leads you to believe the pleco is the cause? I've never seen the pleco trying to suck on the discus and if it were happening at night you would think there would be marks on the discus side proving so.

zchauvin
07-23-2013, 03:50 PM
What exactly leads you to believe the pleco is the cause? I've never seen the pleco trying to suck on the discus and if it were happening at night you would think there would be marks on the discus side proving so.

Even if he isn't getting to them he may be chasing them causing stress. Seems to me other than that your doing nothing wrong and I have seen plecos do it before so its pretty much the last possibility

PP_GBR
07-23-2013, 03:58 PM
REC

I only use one slot and the other slot I use for the bio basket. I fill the basket with Eheim Pro Substrates to beef up bio filtration. I rinse the sponge cartridge daily with WC. You may want to try the Poly filter pads.

REC
07-23-2013, 04:15 PM
Even if he isn't getting to them he may be chasing them causing stress. Seems to me other than that your doing nothing wrong and I have seen plecos do it before so its pretty much the last possibility

Well I'm going to pull him then.I have plenty of friends who will take him. Its worth a shot

zchauvin
07-23-2013, 04:31 PM
Well I'm going to pull him then.I have plenty of friends who will take him. Its worth a shot

It would be a good start lol