PDA

View Full Version : Separating my discus pair

Brotoss
07-26-2013, 03:04 PM
I was wondering if I can separate my discus pair for 1-2 weeks in the same tank with a clear plexi? Will the female still lay eggs because she can still see the male? What kind foods can I feed the pair in order to prime them for the next spawn? Any comments/suggestions are appreciated.

William Palumbo
07-26-2013, 03:37 PM
You can separate. If female ovulates, she will lay eggs by herself. You can't stop this. Live foods are best to bring fish into spawning condition, but may come with risks. But most available foods for Discus will get the job done...Bill

Brotoss
07-26-2013, 03:44 PM
You can separate. If female ovulates, she will lay eggs by herself. You can't stop this. Live foods are best to bring fish into spawning condition, but may come with risks. But most available foods for Discus will get the job done...Bill Can i separate them with something so they can't see each other?

DiscusLoverJeff
07-26-2013, 03:45 PM
Can i separate them with something so they can't see each other?

What size tank are they in? If a 20 gal and you separate them, that is not a lot of room. They can get spooked and hurt themselves.

jaykne
07-26-2013, 03:50 PM
Some good beefheart or seafood mix is always best IMO. But as Bill said most foods for discus will do along with good clean wanter. I personally stay away from live food not worth the risk for me, fresh water live food that is.

Brotoss
07-26-2013, 04:23 PM
they are in a 30 gal