PDA

View Full Version : New to discus, 70G Cube

Deaner
07-26-2013, 05:41 PM
Hey everyone,

Im new to the forum and have recently made the decision to setup my aquarium as a planted discus tank. In the past i had my tank setup as a reef but about 2 months ago there was a ice storm here that left us without power for four days. Due to this i lost everything in my tank and have been in a depressive state about the hobby since.

As my tank has sat empty for the past few months i have been toying with different ideas that i could use it for. I am totally new to keeping discus and havent done the freshwater thing in years. The tank I am using is a marineland 70G cube (30x30x18) with built in overflow. I will be running a sump underneath the tank, total water volume will be about 100G.

Id like to get some input on how many discus I could keep in this size of tank. I have been reading and it seems that this isn't the most ideal footprint for discus but it will have to do for now. Here are a couple pictures of the tank, first one is from years ago when it was first setup as a salt tank.

I look forward to being a member of this forum! It seems people share the same passion about discus that others do with reef tanks.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/t455/RoyalAquariums/post-11779-0-94908100-1304299560_thumb_zps95d5895f.jpg

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/t455/RoyalAquariums/images_zps12519de7.jpg

Gene
07-26-2013, 10:32 PM
Welcome to SD! A general rule for adults is 10g per fish. There is LOTS of good reading in the beginner section. Good luck with your new venture

timmy82
07-27-2013, 12:00 AM
That is a good foot print size and should turn out nice, do some reading in the beginner section and decide on how much water you want to change and how often you can, what sort of food and how often feeding. Starting out new to discus I would recommend buying large adult or almost adult discus from someone off here with what you are after. I would get it cycling 1st and have the water stable before getting Discus in their so in around 2 months or so and I wouldn't start with any less than 5 sub adults. There are many opinions out there so start with a lot of reading and a direction in what you want to acheive and do with discus.

Deaner
07-27-2013, 09:46 AM
thanks guys, i will start reading on the beginner section. Its kind of tough to start back at the beginner stage when i would consider myself a seasoned hobbyist in the reef world. Im sure alot of the same principles will apply :D

troysdiiscus
07-27-2013, 10:13 AM
If you are a reefer this should be easier for you. So not really starting over for you, already have most of the basics just a few changes. Read up and you will be fine.

Second Hand Pat
07-27-2013, 10:35 AM
Hi Deaner, welcome to simply and it really is beginning with discus vs starting with the aquarium basics. Like you I came from the reef side of the house.
Pat

Deaner
07-27-2013, 01:28 PM
Thanks guys,

Im hoping going this route will give me more time to enjoy my aquarium instead of always working on it and struggling with issues. Reef aquariums are truly amazing but a incredible amount of work and money to keep going. Looking forward to this new venture, no more mixing salt for water changes :)

camuth8
07-27-2013, 04:12 PM
If you are a reefer this should be easier for you. So not really starting over for you, already have most of the basics just a few changes. Read up and you will be fine.

+1
Discus are going to be easier to keep if you've kept salt water tanks.

tonytheboss1
07-27-2013, 08:13 PM
:bandana: Welcome to Simply!! As stated, there's a wealth of information & knowledgeable people here. Coming from the 'seaside' you'll find it's not as intense yet still interesting & rewarding. Sorry for your loss but it seems it has opened some new doors. As to your query, I'd say six or seven adults should do fine. The sump gives you a bit extra volume but elbow room is what I'm talkin. Take your time & enjoy this new adventure in fishkeeping. "T"

Deaner
08-19-2013, 06:24 PM
Here's an update on my tank, have installed aqua terra 3d background. It was a bit tough trying to make it work with my corner overflow, hopefully it ends up looking alright. Other things I have added are aqueon proflex model 3 sump and maxspect razor LED fixture. I will be adding some sand and rocks soon, will keep the scape basic for now to concentrate on fish.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/08/20/ga6a5ena.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/08/20/beqa4aga.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/08/20/dy9u5y8e.jpg

troysdiiscus
08-19-2013, 06:39 PM
Nice, look forward to seeing it with everything in it. I would do NO more than 6 adults lost some interior volume with added background and that maybe pushing it..

Deaner
08-19-2013, 06:42 PM
Yes I think 4 would be nice, but some people are telling me to do more because they are more comfortable in groups of 6

winn0923
09-01-2013, 11:31 PM
Nice. Looking forward to how it will turn out

WaterDog
09-02-2013, 12:01 AM
You're good to go and whatever you do don't waste your money buying adult discus. That would be an incredibly foolish and expensive move. Buy yourself some young 2.5" fish and enjoy raising them. Your sump system is already far ahead of the average discus keeper here. Once your water is cycled, do water changes but don't over due it as many will tell you here. good luck and don't be an anal discus keeper. It's really simple actually. Give them a water change once in awhile and forget about the anal checking of water unless you're a chemist and have nothing better to do in your spare time.

musicmarn1
09-02-2013, 02:59 AM
Welcome !! i started with discus this year and looks to me like you are already so far ahead of where i started out, (freshwater only never anything hard like saltwater or discus etc) and i can say that i have learned by reading and learned by doing. both = clean warm water and varied diet and watching my fish to see what i did that makes them happier than the day before, hopefully. good thing with discus is their growth and stress indicators (bars, peppering etc) help me figure out what im doing that they like or dont like, anyway great to have another fish freak in the forum :) cant wait to see what you do. i got little discus to grow out then i got bigger ones, to see which is the better experience. so far i think its preference and cash flow! i like a bit more work actually, im guessing you do too? because its all going to be a lot less than what you were doing i hope ! cant wait to see your thoughts on filtration and water quality and growth.

looks like you have a killer sump system there, i just got my first sump so im dying to know how this one works for you, going to google yours right now, really want to get one that is top notch. some people say they are a waste of time...i already believe that the aging barrel is the best place to get busy with your water haha, but healthy biological colonies sound great idea to me so sump it up i say !

fishboykaps
12-23-2014, 12:29 PM
I would love to see an update on your tank! Please post pictures!