PDA

View Full Version : How much med you often stock up?

Baygon
07-30-2013, 11:13 PM
I usually keep most common diseases medications as much as I could because here in Panama the shops dont re-stock frequently...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

AQUARAMA
07-31-2013, 08:23 AM
All medication i have in stock are for bacterial infection and fungus
Local breeder doesnt live far from me and is always prepared to help with troubles 7/7

John_Nicholson
07-31-2013, 08:57 AM
zero...absolutely none. More fish are killed with meds than anything else. The only thing that I keep in stock is clean water.

-john

troysdiiscus
07-31-2013, 09:54 AM
+1
zero...absolutely none. More fish are killed with meds than anything else. The only thing that I keep in stock is clean water.

-john

DiscusLoverJeff
07-31-2013, 10:54 AM

-john

Now thats a quote to keep in your mind, always!

littleyellow
07-31-2013, 11:37 AM

-john

Very interesting, I will keep this in mind, thank you.

strawberryblonde
07-31-2013, 11:45 AM

-john

+1

I don't generally keep any meds on hand with one exception. I battled several illnesses for nearly a year and since I don't have a LFS nearby who stocks meds, I chose to purchase Furan2 and Kanamycin in some pretty hefty quantities.

Once they were used up, I didn't buy more, so now my cupboards are bare and I plan to keep it that way. =)

Baygon
07-31-2013, 12:06 PM
I agree with all above yet sometimes people make common mistakes by not QT new fish...overdosing...heater broken...etc...

Which bring bacteria...fungus...parasites...where meds would become handy.

Keith Perkins
07-31-2013, 12:10 PM
I agree more fish are probably killed with meds than anything else, but that doesn't mean my cupboard is bare. At LFS prices versus Kens Fish prices I keep metro on hand, and though PP isn't technically a med a keep a bottle of that around as well.

Baygon
07-31-2013, 12:12 PM
I agree more fish are probably killed with meds than anything else, but that doesn't mean my cupboard is bare. At LFS prices versus Kens Fish prices I keep metro on hand, and though PP isn't technically a med a keep a bottle of that around as well.

+1

Kensfish is the right place!

DonMD
07-31-2013, 01:00 PM

This is my situation as well. Also Meth Blue, but that's because my fish are laying eggs and they always get fungus.

a volar
07-31-2013, 02:12 PM
What I keep in hand are leftovers, sooner or later you are going to need meds, maybe in a week, maybe in a month, maybe in a year or few years, the more experience fish keeper you become the less meds you need, I'm a firmly believer in water changes, but some times meds are needed, because you make a mistake or cross contamination or airborne bacteria or equipment failure or whatever........ What I have done in the past is get them when I need them, which has happened very few times................. Sometimes is better to discard the fish than spend money on meds.

Baygon
07-31-2013, 02:20 PM
What I keep in hand are leftovers, sooner or later you are going to need meds, maybe in a week, maybe in a month, maybe in a year or few years, the more experience fish keeper you become the less meds you need, I'm a firmly believer in water changes, but some times meds are needed, because you make a mistake or cross contamination or airborne bacteria or equipment failure or whatever........ What I have done in the past is get them when I need them, which has happened very few times................. Sometimes is better to discard the fish than spend money on meds.

By discarding the fish you mean thru toilet or trashcan?

a volar
07-31-2013, 02:37 PM
By discarding the fish you mean thru toilet or trashcan?

Either way... LOL.

Baygon
07-31-2013, 03:41 PM
Thats because discus are more affordable from where you are lol i assumed... Over here we are overprice discus since they are very rare...so i always try to do my best to save my expensive pet XD