PDA

View Full Version : Tap Water Parameters

Nu2Discus
07-31-2013, 12:43 PM
I finally got some testing kits, and did a run on my tap water. I was hoping to hear what people thought of my water. Do you think it would be ok straight out of the tap, or do you think I'd need to filter it first? Also we have a water softener, so I suppose these results are after the water was softened. Is using the softener ok?

Immediately out of the tap got these results using API Masterkit
Ph - 8.1 - 8.2 hard to tell by the color
Ammonia 0-0.25 I think it was zero, but definitely below 0.25 hard to tell by color
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 0
KH - 9 drops = 9dkh = 161.1 ppm
GH - 10 drops = 10 dkh = 179 ppm

SeaChem results
Ammonia free 0 @ 15 mins and 0 @ 30 mins
Ammonia total 0 @ 15 mins less than 0.01 @ 30 mins
Phosphate 0-0.05 I think it was zero but definitely below 0.05 hard to tell by color

I kept the water from my tap in a glass container and remeasured the ph everyday for a week. I haven't bought an air pump yet.

After 24 hours the ph went up to about 8.4. I tested everyday for a week, and the ph stayed at 8.4 from then on.

Thanks for your help.

Second Hand Pat
07-31-2013, 01:17 PM
Since you are getting a pH shift up in pH I would suggest aging your water with areation for 24 hour prior to use. Your water is pretty similar to my well water.

Nu2Discus
07-31-2013, 01:39 PM
Thanks for the response Second Hand Pat. Yea I was kind of thinking of aging it, but wanted to hear what everyone thought of the water first. Plus it'll let me adjust the temp much better as well. Do you think the ph settling out at 8.4 will be ok? Or do you think I'll need to lower it? How do you feel about the the rest of the parameters?

Second Hand Pat
07-31-2013, 01:47 PM
Your water parameters are fine for domestics discus and a pH of 8.4 is also ok. Later if you wish to breed your domestics I would suggest trying your tap before considering RO water.
Pat

Nu2Discus
07-31-2013, 01:51 PM
Thank you Second Hand Pat. I'm glad the water isn't too bad. Thanks for your help.