PDA

View Full Version : Please help identify issue

AquaAnt
08-01-2013, 01:29 PM
I have not found any info and I have never seen this...

One of my blue diamonds just started swim sporadically and angled at almost a downward angle...

And now I see one of make snakeskins doing the same

Please help identify this issue and what may help, thank you!

Skip
08-01-2013, 01:37 PM
Please help identify this issue and what may help, thank you!

BEFORE starting a new thread requesting help, please copy and paste the Disease Questionnaire and fill in the required information. This will help people give more timely and considered advice. Please click here for the Questionnaire! (http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?38545-Disease-Questionnaire-please-complete)

Second Hand Pat
08-01-2013, 01:37 PM
Could you please fill out the disease questionnaire...

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?38545-Disease-Questionnaire-please-complete

AquaAnt
08-01-2013, 02:11 PM
Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?

One of my blue diamonds just started swim sporadically and angled at almost a downward angle...And now I see one of make snakeskins doing the same and now one of my red turqs...its as if the blue diamond is trying not to float to the top like the later stages of the other 2. I just noticed this problem around 12:30pm today... Only thing I can think about is that I fed my snails a new type of veggie wafer from tetra last night

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).

They are kind of on the dark side because they do seem a little stressed and they do look a little bloated and Angeles head standing except now the blue diamond is doing both really struggling

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.

no treatment, just one giant water change 85%

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.

tank size 120. 6 are almost one year, juvies are a few months, Angels are several years to 1 year, Rams 5 months, neons & cardinals 1 year. Sized ranged from 6 inches to 2 inches.

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).

Daily twice a day 50%

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?

1 year, BDBS 2 inches deep

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.

I do not age my water and I do not have a pH swing.

8. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp 86F

- ph 7.2

- ammonia reading 0

- nitrite reading 0

- nitrate reading 5

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

Just use well water

9. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.

NO

10. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.

jav31
08-01-2013, 03:09 PM
I had this happen out of the blue the other day. It only affected one of my Turqs and I suspected it ate too much and it was bloat. I did a big water change and added Epsom Salt. Was there any of those wafers left in the tank after feeding?

Skip
08-01-2013, 03:25 PM
try epson salt, 2 tablespoons/10 gallons.. if its cuz he ate too much.. he will be fine by tomorrow.. if not then something else

AquaAnt
08-01-2013, 04:11 PM
Epson Salt or is Aquarium Salt alright... kinda skeptical about this though because the blue diamond is now floating upside down at the top of the tank

jav31
08-01-2013, 04:17 PM
Epsom Salt...used as a laxative. Not the same as aquarium salt. The Epsom Salt will not harm the fish.

PP_GBR
08-01-2013, 04:19 PM
AA:

You could repeat the Epsom salt after 4 hrs. It's better if you move the BD into a smaller tank and keep the water just a bit over his dorsal to help him with his balance. Good luck.

AquaAnt
08-01-2013, 04:26 PM
I will try that then... I have them in a 10qt tank now

AquaAnt
08-02-2013, 10:12 AM
Java, Warlock, PP_GBR.... I did a second treatment last night and monitored them until 3AM.... what a complete improvement... Seriously thank you... I was really worried that the blue diamond would not make it...

ALL Three are back to normal...I can not even believe the recovery....Thank You!

Skip
08-02-2013, 10:14 AM
good

jav31
08-02-2013, 10:23 AM
AquaAnt:

That's great! I'm happy I was able to add my $.02. This forum has been nothing but helpful. The real life experience these members share are priceless. Good Luck!

AquaAnt
08-10-2013, 01:26 PM
Thanks... I can't even believe it still lol

AquaAnt
10-03-2013, 10:24 AM
just an update... for those who have helped me here with this info... I have shared this info numerous amounts of time in the past 2 months and because of you all this info was able to save many discus everywhere...

Skip
10-03-2013, 11:05 AM
Glad it all worked out.. filling out questionnaire helped alot

AquaAnt
10-05-2013, 12:01 PM
I use this almost to the T to help others as well