PDA

View Full Version : White specks on glass?

zchauvin
08-01-2013, 04:52 PM
Hey guys ever since I put that play sand inside my tank, I have been getting these small white specks that are hard to touch but come off with hand. I don't see snails in tank or anything so I'm not sure what it could be. It's not planaria or anything for sure and not alive, it looks somewhat like coralline algae, but very small and white. Any one have any ideas? Even when I completely clean glass, they will re appear and cover entire front panel again within a day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Wanny
08-06-2013, 11:40 AM
Hey guys ever since I put that play sand inside my tank, I have been getting these small white specks that are hard to touch but come off with hand. I don't see snails in tank or anything so I'm not sure what it could be. It's not planaria or anything for sure and not alive, it looks somewhat like coralline algae, but very small and white. Any one have any ideas? Even when I completely clean glass, they will re appear and cover entire front panel again within a day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Hi Zach,
Have you ever used Eco Complete substrate in this tank? The reason I ask is I set up a brand new tank once, and had part sand and part Eco Complete, within the next week I noticed these tiny white oval objects on my glass, all over, I got my jewelry lens, because they were so small and I just could not figure out what the heck it was, there was not even any plants or fish in the tank yet. Well low and behold it was limpets, they are a type of mollusk/snail. I am not really sure whether they came from the plant substrate or the sand. Take a closer look if you have a magnifying glass. I never did get rid of them and they clean off the algae, and I added other snails to this tank anyways, but they could multiply to large quantities and be pesky for some. Good Luck Luanne